Hook grip tips?

I also don't understand why someone would use a hook grip for deadlifts, and I mean this in a curious, inquisitive way and not in a judging way. Seems like it's a lot of pressure on your thumb but I don't see the benefit beyond toughening up your thumbs or enduring pain. I always thought the hook grip was just a necessity of the rules and technical requirements of the olympic lifts with the added benefit of helping to take your arms out of the equation. So I'm curious to know why you guys hook in for DLs if you do.

-more symmetrical
-keep the bar closer to you
-slightly shorter stroke
-can be actually be a more secure grip (depends on a few factors)
-lower risk of tearing biceps

Could you give yourself arthritis if you use the hook grip regularly with heavy weights? Especially for people who experience a lot of pain when using it? Obviously im talking about the thumb specifically.

How does a hook grip achieve this? I'm not disagreeing, I just cant figure out how it would do that.

1. With over/under the underhand side tends to push the bar out slightly so you can't keep the bar as close to you as possible.

2. With over under you typically choke up on the bar to get a solid grip. With hook you can set the bar lower in the fingers since the thumb locks it in place.

I don't see how arthritis would be possible since the bar compresses only the tip of the thumb, not the joint.

Back