Honeymoon planning, which resort type is best?

Hank The Tank

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm getting married in early October this year, and I've taken it upon myself to figure all the honeymoon shit out. I've never been to a tropical place on a resort, so I don't know shit about what I'll do or want to do when I'm there.

During that time of year my choices seem to be a few parts of Mexico (which I'm going to pass on because her family has time shares there we can use later), Fiji and nearby islands, or the ABC Islands (aruba, curacao, bonaire). Lower to avoid hurricane concerns.

So I've narrowed it to either Fiji (and other islands near, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora) or Aruba (other ABC islands I couldn't find much). Budget is $7500ish for everything.

Questions:

- What resort type is better, Fiji style seems to be huts on the beach, more space, less people, less dining/bar options. Aruba is larger resorts with big buildings, you get a room with a deck, maybe a spa on it with an ocean view, lots more people.

- Is all inclusive worth it or over-rated? Fiji and related resorts seem to be either free breakfast or free meals, no alcohol. Aruba has a lot of full all inclusive. We drink, and will be a bit, but does it make that big of a difference on total spending?

Any ideas, first hand knowledge, or places you want to share I'm interested in. I've been a giant fucking nerd I'm told because I have an excel sheet with different resorts I've been looking at and their information.

thanks

I got married in early October and Hawaii was amazing at that time of year. I'm assuming Fiji would be somewhat similar. I've been to the Caribbean many times on family vacations and to me it didn't compare to Polynesia. But that might be just because it was new and different to me.

Also $7500 seems a little low for Fiji.

I got married in early October and Hawaii was amazing at that time of year. I'm assuming Fiji would be somewhat similar. I've been to the Caribbean many times on family vacations and to me it didn't compare to Polynesia. But that might be just because it was new and different to me.

Also $7500 seems a little low for Fiji.

We've both been to Hawaii before, want to go somewhere else.

$7500 is fine I think, plane tickets are $1200 or so, most resorts I've seen are between $3000-$5000 for 7 nights. We're not really stuck on a budget, if we have to spend more for an amazing experience we will.

We honeymooned in Jamaica, it was terrific.

If you've never been to a tropical resort before, it's not going to matter where you go as you're going to have an amazing time regardless. Just be sure you select a 4.5 or 5 star resort, and most definitely go with all inclusive.
If you're looking Mexico, go the Carribean side.
Hawaii is fantastic all around.
I've never been to Fiji.

There are many resorts at all these locations that are adult only, which is a nice feature for something like a honeymoon. So consider that as well.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage and here's to an awesome trip my friend.

Go to Hedonism 2.

I appreciate that you are talking about your marriage as if it won't end in divorce. That's cute.

Buy something useful instead. Down payment on a house, something like that. you will be happier.

Went to St.Thomas over the summer, all inclusive is the way to go for sure.

Buy something useful instead. Down payment on a house, something like that. you will be happier.

I have a house, she has enough for the wedding/honeymoon in savings. We want a nice trip we will remember forever. We're both 28 we have lots of time.

Our goal after that is focusing on a second house.

If you're looking Mexico, go the Carribean side.

Los Cabos on the pacific side on the sea of Cortez might be the new best vacation spot Mexico. It's amazing all around. San Jose del cabo is such a great town to see Mexican history and culture. And San cabo Lucas is absolutely nuts for parties and has a more American theme going on, both towns are close together . Food is always fresh seafood from the baja.

Fuuuuuuk I wanna go back.

I took the easy way out and went with Sandals in St Lucia.

Thank God for all inclusive otherwise my bar tab would've been scary...yes I sound poor.

I really liked a lot of the Mexico spots, but we're already going to Cabo next year and will be going to various places in Mexico every other year or so with her family and their friends (booze trips and sea fishing).

I just went to Costa Rica for mine. It was great. It wasn't all inclusive but I would highly recommend it.

We had our honeymoon in Paris. As long as you don't act like "The ugly American", the French people are cool as fudge.

Hey all,

So I'm getting married in early October this year, and I've taken it upon myself to figure all the honeymoon shit out. I've never been to a tropical place on a resort, so I don't know shit about what I'll do or want to do when I'm there.

During that time of year my choices seem to be a few parts of Mexico (which I'm going to pass on because her family has time shares there we can use later), Fiji and nearby islands, or the ABC Islands (aruba, curacao, bonaire). Lower to avoid hurricane concerns.

So I've narrowed it to either Fiji (and other islands near, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora) or Aruba (other ABC islands I couldn't find much). Budget is $7500ish for everything.

Questions:

- What resort type is better, Fiji style seems to be huts on the beach, more space, less people, less dining/bar options. Aruba is larger resorts with big buildings, you get a room with a deck, maybe a spa on it with an ocean view, lots more people.

- Is all inclusive worth it or over-rated? Fiji and related resorts seem to be either free breakfast or free meals, no alcohol. Aruba has a lot of full all inclusive. We drink, and will be a bit, but does it make that big of a difference on total spending?

Any ideas, first hand knowledge, or places you want to share I'm interested in. I've been a giant fucking nerd I'm told because I have an excel sheet with different resorts I've been looking at and their information.

thanks
I've actually been to Fiji and it's really like being in another world. It's very undeveloped, yet everyone speaks English and it seems very safe. I actually went there for my cousin's wedding. We mostly ate at the resort, I think we only ate out once at an Indian restaurant on another part of the island (there's a large Indian population there as well as the natives, who are a Melanesian-Polynesian mix). I'd say it's a good place for a honeymoon if you want to spend significant time alone with your partner and especially if you're into less commercialized and developed places. But if you like the nightlife and bright lights and all that, it might not be for you.

I vote for Aruba. It has hands down the best beach/waterfront of anyplace I've ever been. Yes, you do avoid the hurricane risk as well. It will probably cost you half of what a Hawaii trip will, and even more than a Fiji trip.

If you plan on spending most of your time on the resort, do all-inclusive. If you are going to explore, it's not worth it because you'll be paying for your meals and drinks off the resort.

Cruise #1 IMO. Relaxing and fun, just make sure to get a room with a balcony.

All inclusive 2nd

I just got back from St thomas I hated it

Really? That sucks man. Our trip wasn't that bad, of course we didn't spend a lot of time around the locals but our cab driver was cool. We did a lot of sailing etc. What didn't you like about it exactly?

Last edited:
Back