Honestly ? Jones is just getting burned out and bored

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He just looked like he is over it all. In MMA, especially at Jones level, you are ALWAYS fighting the absolute best that make it all the way to you, and have to usually suffer through the same tired trash talk , same tired camps, same tired media obligations and embedded and reporter questions...shit even I'm feeling burned out for him . I think that's what got to GSP too...GSP arguably left at the apex of his career , he was burned out and bored and realized there is more to life that spending your days doing this crap .

I don't think its steroids or jones getting older or that Reyes is particularly amazing (even though Jon is not used to fighting people his length)... he was just mentally done and not into it

I absolutely think that's a big part of it.

It must be so hard to be crazy motivated when you're fighting guys that you know aren't gonna do much for your resume and aren't going to sell PPVs and put as much money in your pocket. And for these challengers this is the biggest moment of their lives.

GSP did talk about the fire dying out a bit towards the end of his retirement.

Respect to GSP, Andy, Jones, Might Mouse. Crazy how long those guys were able to stay at the top.

He just looked like he is over it all. In MMA, especially at Jones level, you are ALWAYS fighting the absolute best that make it all the way to you, and have to usually suffer through the same tired trash talk , same tired camps, same tired media obligations and embedded and reporter questions...shit even I'm feeling burned out for him . I think that's what got to GSP too...GSP arguably left at the apex of his career , he was burned out and bored and realized there is more to life that spending your days doing this crap .

I don't think its steroids or jones getting older or that Reyes is particularly amazing (even though Jon is not used to fighting people his length)... he was just mentally done and not into it

Agreed to some extent.

When you've fought almost 30 elite human beings in front of millions of people, plus the training, and media obligations, that takes a lot out of a person. Most people work an 8hr shift and then complain about how "rough" it is. Fighters are special people and they risk being humiliated and losing their income everytime they step foot out there for our entertainment. Not to mention all of the anxiety that they feel leading up to their contests. They're just people. They just happen to be very talented at a niche skill.

I think the mileage is catching up to him a little. The guy's been in some wars. Was bludgeoned by Gus. Hurt his his arm with Vitor. Snapped his toe with Chael. Not to mention all of the injuries that occur in training that we never hear about. That shit adds up.

But he also gets paid accordingly. That's the balance of things.

I think Jones has the personality where he can get through all that crap. Even though I feel he lost his cardio and durability is still incredible. He seems to be hurting his opponents more than they are hurting him

And Jones is still "breaking records" and getting paid well. As long as he can keep beating lightheavyweights and being cleared by commissions he had a few more defenses left

Doesn't explain why his wrestling and top control are so shitty now. Burn out doesn't make you weaker.

He went 1 for 7 against a Reyes who was completely gased. Volkan also went 1 for 7 against a fresh Reyes and Weidman I think went 1 for 1.

I agree. I was watching him in between rounds and he looked tired. Not gassed, just like he was going through the motions of showing up and fighting. Not just between rounds either. During the fight he looked lethargic and trigger shy. Where he may have done something in the past, he just walked forward and didn't do anything.

He seems like there's no fire under his ass anymore.

Alternatively, he just isn't that good now that he isn't roided to the gills.

One of the two, I suppose.

Or his striking is getting exposed against guys his size that can strike and defend takedowns.

For a guy who cant throw a punch properly, its remarkable how he's built a legendary career. His fight IQ and toughness is just unmatched.

But his striking is just trash, mainly his hands. He cant throw more than 2 combos and not look awkward as hell

[ ] He doesn't have his peak. Oh!
[x] He doesn't have his pico.

Doesn't explain why his wrestling and top control are so shitty now. Burn out doesn't make you weaker.

He went 1 for 7 against a Reyes who was completely gased. Volkan also went 1 for 7 against a fresh Reyes and Weidman I think went 1 for 1.
It could be the fact that he can't offensively wrestle against similar sized opponents. It's comical how people just assume he'd outwrestle everyone at HW just because DC couldn't take him down.

Or his striking is getting exposed against guys his size that can strike and defend takedowns.

For a guy who cant throw a punch properly, its remarkable how he's built a legendary career. His fight IQ and toughness is just unmatched.

But his striking is just trash, mainly his hands. He cant throw more than 2 combos and not look awkward as hell
His kicks carry him. He's really good at avoiding a boxing match with his long limbs and ability to kick.

His kicks carry him. He's really good at avoiding a boxing match with his long limbs and ability to kick.

That's what I mean his fight IQ is unmatched. He finds a way to win and uses his physical gifts to the fullest.

He just picks away at you with his kicks and although they arent heavy strikes, they add up and take a toll physically but most importantly mentally.

But his hands though, my God they are bad

Yeah he's bored with it... then why not fight at heavyweight?

Or maybe fighting is just his job. His real passion is snorting cocaine off strippers' asses, then choking them a little.

That's what I mean his fight IQ is unmatched. He finds a way to win and uses his physical gifts to the fullest.

He just picks away at you with his kicks and although they arent heavy strikes, they add up and take a toll physically but most importantly mentally.

But his hands though, my God they are bad
Yeah, it's surprising how that aspect hasn't been exposed by now. You'd think he would've paid the price considering it's a heavier weight class with 4oz gloves. That being said I still think someone like Francis would finish him. Jones literally had to turn his back and run from Reyes, imagine if he tried that on Francis lol.

While I do agree, I think its important we dont lose focus on the whole USADA thing and him becoming obviously weaker in the grappling department after his numerous positive tests.

Ofc the dude also has crazy mileage on him not to forget.

I agree, when he feels challenged he is a different fighter. As when he smashed DC and Gus in the rematches..

Yeah, it's surprising how that aspect hasn't been exposed by now. You'd think he would've paid the price considering it's a heavier weight class with 4oz gloves. That being said I still think someone like Francis would finish him. Jones literally had to turn his back and run from Reyes, imagine if he tried that on Francis lol.

Oh there's a reason he doesnt want to move up to the HW division. He loses his strength and size advantage there. He would still beat most of the HW's but a guy like Francis or Miocic would be a scary fight for him because of their size and boxing

Oh there's a reason he doesnt want to move up to the HW division. He loses his strength and size advantage there. He would still beat most of the HW's but a guy like Francis or Miocic would be a scary fight for him because of their size and boxing
I still think Overeem and JDS can give him issues. Obviously bums like Juan Adams would be 0 issue, but HW is always like that. An elite top 5, but a shallow top 15.

No. These dude are tough these days. Reyes fought like a monster last night..

Back