Honestly, how many of you have rewatched Jones vs DC??

3. Jon's corner was great. DC's corner was atrocious. I agree he was probably losing the fight going into the 5th but telling him he had to finish it was baffling. There was way too many close rounds to be telling him that.

This point makes no sense because we know the judges scorecards and he did need a finish to win. Also while it may have been the worst Jones performance it may have been against his toughest test.

Pretty much.

DC was also the guy who "tossed heavy weights around" and would do the same to Jones.

How did the better skilled fighter get beat by his own skill set...?

Jones is clearly the better skilled fighter, lol @ you

he didnt manage his energy reserves accordingly he gassed out after the 3rd round... this is his first 5 round fight where jones is constantly fighting 5 round fights because he's defending the title... if you do 30 min death circuits you'll see what Im talking about, jones has good stamina

If DC had a better gas tank it would have been much more interesting. I made a thread after the weigh ins about how hyped DC was and that it made me really nervous because I felt like he was blowing too much adrenaline. I think he dumped way too much energy before the fight.

Jones won but I don't understand his "unbeatable" aura whatsoever after the Gus and DC performances.

If not for landing the spinning elbow against Gus in the 4th, he would have lost for sure. Even with the elbow you can make an argument for Gus in that fight.

DC had a shit game plan.

DC was absolutely spent in round 4 and 5, and he wasnt pressing Jones as hard as I expected. I thought he was going to do the Cain vs JDS routine, and would be literally body to body driving Jones into the cage and tearing up him up for 5 rounds. I was also hoping for a Fedor-esque explosive overhand attempt in the 4th or 5th from DC but he was too gassed and beaten up to the body for that. Jones landed some mean body shots in that fight, to his credit. He beat Cormier every where Cormier wanted to beat Jon, it's definitely not right to say DC is the more skilled fighter who simply gassed.

whatever I dont like jones and dc is a better wrestler because he is an olympian you can't judge performances after only one fight a lot of shit happens in a fight that are completely random

if there were 2 more rounds Jons would have finished Cormier with out a doubt. He wont the fight and was only getting stronger while DC was fading hard.

It wasnt the pure definition of domination by any means but enough so that I would bet on Jones winning 10/10 times now

3. Jon's corner was great. DC's corner was atrocious. I agree he was probably losing the fight going into the 5th but telling him he had to finish it was baffling. There was way too many close rounds to be telling him that.

They told him exactly what he needed to hear. The judges were not going to hand him Jones title on a fight that was reasonably close. We saw with Jones/Gus and GSP/Hendricks a champion of that caliber you better really take it to the champ if the fight is going the distance..

he didnt manage his energy reserves accordingly he gassed out after the 3rd round... this is his first 5 round fight where jones is constantly fighting 5 round fights because he's defending the title... if you do 30 min death circuits you'll see what Im talking about, jones has good stamina

Do some research before laying down false facts. This is not DC's first 5 round fight. He fought Barnett in strikeforce for the tittle.

DC was absolutely spent in round 4 and 5, and he wasnt pressing Jones as hard as I expected. I thought he was going to do the Cain vs JDS routine, and would be literally body to body driving Jones into the cage and tearing up him up for 5 rounds.

I said heading into the fight if people thought Jones would let DC hold him on the fence and pull a Frank Mir for 25 minutes they were deluding themselves.. The Sherdog faithful kept posting the Mir/Jones Hotel slap fight :icon_chee

He beat Cormier every where Cormier wanted to beat Jon

He didn't land better punches, that's for sure. The reason he got into the mess he did with Gustaffson was because he tried to box with him. Gustaffson has better movement and boxing than Jones and Cormier has better dirty boxing. Jones has shown however that he has a good chin.

I'm not that bored that I want to rewatch it yet. A win for Jones but he looked like shit doing if. Perhaps because DC is just that good.

He didn't land better punches, that's for sure. The reason he got into the mess he did with Gustaffson was because he tried to box with him. Gustaffson has better movement and boxing than Jones and Cormier has better dirty boxing. Jones has shown however that he has a good chin.

Punches were about the same.. I re watched the fight 4 or 5 times and one thing Rogan and Goldberg still do a terrible job at is calling the striking. When someone throws they call it 9/10 like it landed. DC threw a lot of heavy looping punches at Jones really loading up and Jones slipped most of them and a lot of them were catching his gloves. DC landed some nice ones in close mostly uppercuts but outside he didn't hit Jones with all that much.. Both guys landed good kicks with Jones getting the better of it..

Do some research before laying down false facts. This is not DC's first 5 round fight. He fought Barnett in strikeforce for the tittle.

Seriously you came up with barnett for a stamina example ??? I meant in the UFC...... so it was his 2nd 5 round fight big deal...dc gassed out if it was a 3 round fight dc would have won but again jones was playing smart in the first 3 rounds we saw..

Punches were about the same.. I re watched the fight 4 or 5 times and one thing Rogan and Goldberg still do a terrible job at is calling the striking. When someone throws they call it 9/10 like it landed. DC threw a lot of heavy looping punches at Jones really loading up and Jones slipped most of them and a lot of them were catching his gloves. DC landed some nice ones in close mostly uppercuts but outside he didn't hit Jones with all that much.. Both guys landed good kicks with Jones getting the better of it..

Jones just doesn't have good boxing skills imo. His elbows are nasty and his kicks are great, but if he tries to box Gustaffson again, if they meet, he'll be in trouble. The only good punch I recall Jones landing in the DC fight was to his gut.

To me it came down to how it was fought that was most impressive. We can all theorize what the game plan was, but it looked to me that Jon was aiming to simply shut DC down. To keep him from doing anything.

All those moments with Cormier trying his hardest to take Jon to the cage and they end up chillin in the clinch away from the fence were really interesting to me. Where most people saw it as stalling, I saw it more as stifling.

He wanted to wrestle DC and did so. He wanted to box with Glover and he did. He doesn't have Gus' footwork, and I don't think he ever will. His "mimicking opponents" thing is pretty interesting, but I think he has to approach strikers like Gus a little differently in the future.

Jones exposed Cormier for what he was. A mediocre fighter that didnt belong in that cage. He neutralozed him and made him look amateur. It didnt help that Cormier talked all that shit and couldn't even walk away saying he did as well as Gustaf did

you mean jones couldnt even mark up and stop a mediocre fighter like DC who is 7 years older and 7 inches shorter? and could only beat him via a competitive decision? You think Jones is really that bad?

It was a close fight where Jon clearly won 2 rounds and squeaked by another 1 or arguably 2.

His fans made it seem like it was some bell-to-bell domination

That's because it was. 4 rounds to one. Domination.

Like I've said before DC came out in the first and felt what is like to be in the cage with Jones. He realized he was outclassed so he came out in the second and blew everything he had because he knew he couldn't hang with Jones. He was trying to end it quick and couldn't. Jones coasted to an easy victory. The judges got it right, most everyone got it right. Haters refuse to see the truth.

After this fight I'd put dc somewhere in the 7-10 in the LHW rankings.

Jones
Gus
AJ
Rashad
Glover
Phil
DC
Bader

I'm sure people will disagree, it's just my opinion take it for what it is.

you mean jones couldnt even mark up and stop a mediocre fighter like DC who is 7 years older and 7 inches shorter? and could only beat him via a competitive decision? You think Jones is really that bad?

I was never one to judge a fight by damage or decision/KO....it's in the fashion that it's done...

By your logic, you feel DC did a better job than Gus did because he didnt get marked up as bad? Jones broke DC's spirit. Regardless of what it looked like it was domination on a mental level as much as physical

Back