Honestly, how many of you have rewatched Jones vs DC??

It wasn't that Jones dominated but how he won the fight. Most people thought Jones would have to stay at distance using his reach. They were saying Cormier would easily take Jones down using his superior, Olympic caliber wrestling. Instead, once again, Jones beat a fighter at his own game. That's what was impressive.

Last edited:
Bones nor Cormier get the credit they deserve for this fight. I've heard loads of people say it was Bones's worst fight and Cormier wasn't at his best.

mmm..could that have anything to do with the fact that they were both facing world class, undefeated opponents?

PEDs might have also been a factor.

Joness beat DC at his own game and won.

"Domination" or not people can fucking argue all day I guess (if it makes them feel warm n' fuzzy inside) but at the end of the day Jones clearly won.

"Damn...he wasn't convicted of PED's...let's go back and argue about the "robbery"!

Jones nearly finished Gustafsson?

What a nice attempt to rewrite history.

The replay clearly shows the spinning elbow connecting with the triceps, yeah it had some good bodyweight behind it but it landed glancing.

And Gustafsson defended the takedown and kept his defenses on point throughout the remainder of the round, so how was it close to being finished?

You know a 'Knockdown' usually comes before a finish right?

You're basically saying you think Gustafsson was out on his feet while he kept stuffing the takedowns and blocking the clumsy boxing of Jones.. Nay I say.

And Jones impressed me with his solid wrestling vs. Cormier, you could tell he's been working hard. But he seems to have plateaued since the Gustafsson fight, failing to finish both Glover and DC despite dictating the pace for 5 rounds. Maybe too much partying, he probably stopped that meditating he used to go on about.

It wasn't that Jones dominated but how he won the fight. Most people thought Jones would have to stay at distance using his reach. They were saying Cormier would easo;u take Jones down using his superior, Olympic caliber wrestling. Instead, once again, Jones beat a fighter at his own game. That's what was impressive.

Correct sir.

He didnt get ragdolled like Hendo and Barnett did, which is what half of everyone was riding him for, and he didn't get laid out like Bigfoot did, which is what the other half of fans were saying.

Jones exposed Cormier for what he was. A mediocre fighter that didnt belong in that cage. He neutralozed him and made him look amateur. It didnt help that Cormier talked all that shit and couldn't even walk away saying he did as well as Gustaf did

It was DC crying at the press that changed how the fight went in a lot of peoples minds. Had he handled the presser with more confidence and said things like if his cardio was better he could have won people would have been more excited about a rematch. Instead he gushed with compliments for Jones then cried like he was broken:(

Jones beat DC at his own game and won the fight during the 4th and 5th. That's why they're called the championship rounds. You gotta be the man that late in the fight.

It was DC crying at the press that changed how the fight went in a lot of peoples minds. Had he handled the presser with more confidence and said things like if his cardio was better he could have won people would have been more excited about a rematch. Instead he gushed with compliments for Jones then cried like he was broken:(

Lmao. Ironic how DC outsmarted Jones through press and media on the whole leadup, then self destructed after the loss and looked like the broken fighter he promised to turn Jones into.

Yeah, DC was a broken man. I think that's all that needs to be said about who is the clear victor, and he confirmed his defeat himself at that presser.

Joness beat DC at his own game and won.

"Domination" or not people can fucking argue all day I guess (if it makes them feel warm n' fuzzy inside) but at the end of the day Jones clearly won.

"Damn...he wasn't convicted of PED's...let's go back and argue about the "robbery"!

With this I do agree....

I've not actually seen anyone claiming DC won the fight, just that he was not dominated. It was a close fight. They won 1 round each clearly, 2 very close 'could go either way' rounds (which usually go to the champ) and then the shitty 5th round that Jones, boring as it was.

Jones had no intention of trying to finish Cormier. He's a Jackson's MMA fighter afterall. He knew he'd be his toughest opponent yet, and planned accordingly. Jones could have easily held Cormier on the fence longer than he did in the later rounds, he was winning each round one by one tactically using clinch work and being able to secure TDs. Cormier really had no plan other than pressure him and punch at him. Jones has many layers or levels to his game.

So round 3 was the definition of a 10-10 round, yet you scored it for Jones.
Yep. Great analysis

I was really wanting Cormier to win but I felt Jon was doing better nearly the entire fight. It made me sad.

Facts...

1. The first 3 rounds were exciting and in no way could a fight with those rounds be thought of as "Awful"

2. Cormier hardly ever tried to take Jones down in those first 3 rounds, instead using a tactic of clinching and dirty boxing, which he had quite a bit of success with

3. It would be justifiable to score those first 3 rounds 2 - 1 Cormier or 2 - 1 Jones.

4. Cormier had lost steam by the 4th which was Jones's most dominant round

5. The 5th round was awful

6. Jones won a fight that disappointed after the first 3 rounds but was in no way dominant as some people like to claim

he was winning each round one by one tactically using clinch work and being able to secure TDs.

Cormier was as dangerous, if not more dangerous in the clinch as Jones. He had better boxing than Jones, very clearly.

Jones only landed any real takedowns in the 4th.

I was excited through round 3, so overall I agree. I think DC had a part in MAKING this one of Jon's worst performances. But once his gas tank emptied, it became increasingly easier for Jon to wall and stall, oops I mean grind. If DC had the gas to get out of those situations (ala Gus), we could have seen an exciting round 4 and 5, where the champ was forced to engage or get picked apart. Also felt like DC did the bodyslam out of frustration or spite, like no, I will take you down! But after that he was depleted. But yeh. Zero desire to rewatch that fight.

Herb Dean was also awful in this fight. He let long amounts of wall and stall take place. There was a point where it was over a minute of just holding each other on the cage.

I have rewatched it, it was a little bit of a letdown. The best parts were when DC was going hard, but once Jon started to take over it got a little dull.

It was a good fight, just didn't think Jones really put on an amazing championship performance. He fought well and deserved the win, but when you look back at what guys like Silva and Fedor did to people when they were champions it doesn't really compare imo.

It's easy to say that those guys were fighting worse competition than Jones, but they were fighting the best guys at the time and looking damn good doing it.

You do realize that everyone and their grandmother was saying that DC would ragdoll Jones, right? Fact remains, he fought against a dude that probably could be HW champ if there was no Cain (and the betting odds reflected that, being pretty much dead even), and beat him at his own game. Obviously it would be a tall order to ask for a complete domination, but he still clearly won. No one is really arguing against that. Which you can't say for the Gus fight.

Back