Honest Question: What did Jones do Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case in point. You're probably one of the worst posters on Sherdog.

Really? Because I defend someone that so many around here hate.. Talk about a fight with me and I will break it down for you as good as anyone here.. The problem is we don't get to do that very much in this place.. People would rather talk about stuff that should be on TMZ than actual fighting..

Too much too soon for a lot of people.. There is a lot of jealousy when it comes to Jones. That is what happens when you come into the sport being seen as the next great fighter at 21 and by 23 you are the champion beating down legends of MMA that have been competing for a decade or more. He is brash and arrogant but people say things about him that are just over exaggerated or quickly take the side of his opponent on any issue even if Jones is in the right.. When you dominate so much in the octagon people try to find other areas to attack you..

its none of that. mma fans are very petty and are very delusional. just look at all the fans that still cheer on and want to see fighters who have nothing to prove or should have retired still want to fight. maybe its just me, i dont get emotional about any fighter or sports in general. i just like being entertained.

Jon is off-putting.
For me it has nothing to do with who he beat.
He respects almost no one other than himself and anyone helping him directly.
I think there is a quiet confidence and respect that the fan favourites of the UFC have always carried. Chuck, Randy, GSP, they all carried a confidence with a respect for the other fighters and guys from the past. Jon does none of that

If you think there aren't people who dislike fighters because of race you're fucking delusional.

Also lol at a guy who doesn't like Jones because of his "personality" calling someone a drama queen...you sound like a teenage girl explaining why she doesn't like another girl in her class.

His personality is awful. Not sure how that's drama.

Jones is disliked while Anderson, Cormier, and other afircan amerian fighters are treated with the same respect as any other. I'm not saying there aren't racist people out there. I'm saying all this "it's because he's black" talk is absolute bullshit.

Jones has a truly shitty personality and there is no reason to attempt to defend it. It is as futile as people pretending he's not a great martial artist.

Really? Because I defend someone that so many around here hate.. Talk about a fight with me and I will break it down for you as good as anyone here.. The problem is we don't get to do that very much in this place.. People would rather talk about stuff that should be on TMZ than actual fighting..

Because you defend a persons personality when it clearly is a poor one, simply because of your fandom. Nobody is telling you not to like a fighter, but your constant defense via the "It's because he's black" and "its because he's black and beat former champions" is a truly poor sentiment.

Just because you like the strong, talented, failing-in-personality black fighter doesnt mean anyone else has to. Nor does it mean we have to for the same reasons.

I'm sure there's a racist or two holding out in here just seething over Jon Jones pigment. But the vast majority of people that dislike him hold that stance because of his poor personality, fueled also by poor sportsman tactics (which are legal by letter of the law). Just accept that.

He's just an un-funny, narcissistic jerk with an impaired sense of empathy.

Pick any one of the items people hold against him and they will fit this description.

Most JJ fans seem to recognize this anyway, since they now completely avoid addressing his behavior. Instead they regurgitate the "Jones trolling" or "I care about the fights, not the drama" line. This last one is funny because the people who really don't care (and there are many) would never bother replying to topics regarding JJ's character.

Well said.

Wahhhh! Mom! People on the Internet don't like the same things I do!!!!

Jones has a truly shitty personality and there is no reason to attempt to defend it. It is as futile as people pretending he's not a great martial artist.

And you think I am a shitty Sherdog poster.. :rolleyes:

There is so much subjectivity to this assertion you just made that you fail to address and simply state it as a fact.. I can get emotional and say things that I should not partially due to frustration over all the anger thrown Jones way that very often IMO does not seem rational.

If you think there aren't people who dislike fighters because of race you're fucking delusional.

Also lol at a guy who doesn't like Jones because of his "personality" calling someone a drama queen...you sound like a teenage girl explaining why she doesn't like another girl in her class.

Are you suggesting that personality plays no part in which athletes fans like more?

It's been that way since sport began. And the race card IS lame in this case. While there may be the rare few out there that feel that way, it's an insignificant percentage.

His personality is awful. Not sure how that's drama.

Jones is disliked while Anderson, Cormier, and other afircan amerian fighters are treated with the same respect as any other. I'm not saying there aren't racist people out there. I'm saying all this "it's because he's black" talk is absolute bullshit.

What? Anderson got more hate than almost any other champion. And DC is the fan favorite of course he's getting support there are two black people fighting each other. Thusly one out of the two is going to get respect you fucking idiot lol.

Your argument is essentially like saying "I'm not racist I have some black friends." You're stating "MMA fans aren't racist they like some black fighters."

Being black isn't why Jones is disliked but it is definitely part of the reason for a decent section of fans.

Jones is a normal guy. He doesn't have a "shitty personality" that's undefendable according to you, even DC stated in the Ariel interview Jones is a "good dude" multiple times.

So stop crying like a baby, Jones is a young guy who made some mistakes not the antichrist lol. Saying you "can't defend his shitty personality" is borderline delusional. He got one find it fucking hilarious it constantly gets everyone butthurt with Instagram posts and such.

He seems like a cool enough cat to me. Sure he says some stupid shit sometimes, but dont we all? We're just lucky our stuff isnt made public. He's just a guy doing the best he can in his chosen profession, and he's doing pretty damn good. 'Haters' are just immature morons

It will be ironic that it will take the one thing he doesn’t want to happen (losing) to turn him into the one thing he wants to be in the world’s eyes (a beloved mega star and role model).

I sort of agree with this bit although it's hardly a given that Jones will stop with the self-aggrandizing once he loses. Maybe if it's an embarrassing lopsided decision...

There is so much subjectivity to this assertion you just made that you fail to address and simply state it as a fact.. I can get emotional and say things that I should not partially due to frustration over all the anger thrown Jones way that very often IMO does not seem rational.

Oh I grant you that there are irrational people who dislike him. Just like ANY other champion. The hate for Machida, Penn, Hughes, GSP, Ando has all been there. So why do you spend so much time pointing out Jones and defending his truly lacking personality?

What is worse: We get it. he's in your AV. You like him. Fine. But you don't have to constantly point to a dismissive "Oh they're just racist" strawman argument.

Jones is not a likeable personality for many people. You have to accept that.

I guess I just wonder why you seem to get so indignant at the fact that most people think he comes off as a smug prick? Why do you need other people's opinion to validate your own?

I don't like Jones' personality, but i do like his fights -- that's enough for me. I think it would be good to see him defeated at least once, though.

Jones has a truly shitty personality and there is no reason to attempt to defend it. It

Sure there is notably when people like you who are reaching with your explanations of why is he a shitty person.

Like the post i quoted earlier. How is being in the car with two women when they both are associated with your wife a "shitty" thing to do.You seemed happy to jump in with this.

Being in a car with two women that arent youre wife A. isnt a shitty thing to do unless we want to use uptight little puritanical pilgrim logic. B. and it doesnt imply jones was intending to take them to the Bone Zone.

Further for such a colossal shitty person how come most of the fan interactions with him being posted on here are positive? You would think a massive douche would be rude to the fans if that is the kind of person alot of you are trying to portray.

I'm not trolling, I really want to know. I watch his fights, so I guess I just haven't seen enough of his interviews or twitters or whatever to understand the hate. I mean people hate this guy like he stole their money and slept with their girlfriends. Maybe the hate is totally justified, but I just missed the things that he did that called for the hate.

So haters, please enlighten me, preferably with specific things he did that have led to the hate?

Yawn. You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think there isn't a large population of "haters" of every exceptionally successful fighter. I have seen many dudes rejoicing after the defeats suffered by Anderson, Fedor and GSP.

Well...I don't hate him. But, I will say this. I live in Ithaca ny. He lives about 10 min away from me. I train at a gym called ultimate athletics. He used to train there but he apparently screwed over the gym somehow and now they don't like him.

I've met him...specifically the day b4 the machine fight. My wife sold him a car at Maguire. I've heard stories around here from his friends that he goes to bars...gets drunk...and hits on girls. One in particular was a girlfriend of one of his friends.

So a lot of people here don't like him. Cheats on his girl. Screws over gyms...fake or whatever.

That's all stuff I heard but I can't confirm it for my own eyes

I sort of agree with this bit although it's hardly a given that Jones will stop with the self-aggrandizing once he loses. Maybe if it's an embarrassing lopsided decision...

You could be right. It will certainly take a lop sided beating to change his attitude if I had to guess. A close decision certainly won

He pokes every opponent he faces in the eye.

He abuses his frankly unfair reach advantage by holding his hands and fingers in the opponents face consistenly, to keep them from advancing without getting poked.

He puts on a fake personality infront of the cameras, in a very slimey and off putting way.

Those are my top 3 reasons i think

So i take it other fighters are doing this wrong because they take advantage of their greater strength or their quicker reflexes..come on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back