Honest Question: What did Jones do Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a fighter I'd say he is the LHW GOAT, as a person I find him to be embarrassing. I love watching jis fights because they are win-wins....either I see someone humble him or I see a memorable championship fight.

I don't have to like a fighter to look forward to his fights. Jones is not someone I would ever cheer for.

Take your pick:

Overbearing Christian stuff
Rashad Evans teammate stuff
Young
Successful
Black
Dominant
DUI in a Bentley with ladies who weren't the mother of his children
Accused of being fake by a lot of folks in the UFC
Defeating fan favorites
His own sense that he's the next Ali/Bruce Lee
Is a genetic freak to make 205 with that big a frame
Eye pokes
Knee strikes
"Jon, go get some fans." moment.

Ehhh I'm tired of typing. I don't mind the guy.

Some people just rub you the wrong way, sometimes there doesn't even need to be a reason. For me it's the Jones outside of the cage.. The way he behaves, the way he talks.. rubs me the wrong way. That is a person i would not hang with because i can't stand it.

Too much too soon for a lot of people.. There is a lot of jealousy when it comes to Jones. That is what happens when you come into the sport being seen as the next great fighter at 21 and by 23 you are the champion beating down legends of MMA that have been competing for a decade or more. He is brash and arrogant but people say things about him that are just over exaggerated or quickly take the side of his opponent on any issue even if Jones is in the right.. When you dominate so much in the octagon people try to find other areas to attack you..

I'm not trolling, I really want to know. I watch his fights, so I guess I just haven't seen enough of his interviews or twitters or whatever to understand the hate. I mean people hate this guy like he stole their money and slept with their girlfriends. Maybe the hate is totally justified, but I just missed the things that he did that called for the hate.

So haters, please enlighten me, preferably with specific things he did that have led to the hate?

That's partly why. And if you watch his fights it's evident he's dirty

finally!!!
this has never been discussed before...

Too much too soon for a lot of people.. There is a lot of jealousy when it comes to Jones. That is what happens when you come into the sport being seen as the next great fighter at 21 and by 23 you are the champion beating down legends of MMA that have been competing for a decade or more. He is brash and arrogant but people say things about him that are just over exaggerated or quickly take the side of his opponent on any issue even if Jones is in the right.. When you dominate so much in the octagon people try to find other areas to attack you..

Guy with Jones AV still in denial about Jon Jones the person.

There are very few who actually have a problem with him beating the old-guard. Especially those who have been around long enough to see Nog, Lidell, Hughes, Fedor, Penn all fall to the wayside by up-and-comers who became greats.

Jones the person is what people dislike. Outside of pure trolls nobody denies his skill.

He gets a massive unfair advantage by directly poking opponents in the eye, or by pawing at their faces and forcing them to stop advancing in order to avoid the eye pokes.
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/c...eye-pokes-from-sherdog-56k-warning.453945255/

He talked himself up like a big role model, then does things like drunkenly total his car, while riding around with 2 young women who aren't his wife. And that's on top of 3 more multicar accidents, for a total of FOUR in 4 years.
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/05/30/jones

Jones is a giant phony in other ways, too. He's a two-faced weasel who acts one way when he thinks people are watching and completely different when he thinks they aren't.
http://www.bjpenn.com/the-jon-jones-you-see-on-tv-is-fake-says-evans/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3-dVafxPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BT1zrUnuKw

Jones lies and backstabs. He got taken in by a team who said they don't want teammates fighting, he said he would never fight his teammate, then the opportunity came...and he jumped right at the chance to fight a teammate.
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/difference-between-cormier-jones-integrity-loyalty-2901101/

He's immature and lacks self-control (some examples above). Throwing punches and hitting/endangering innocent bystanders (both firsts?) at UFC presser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_WWMTR9LU

I'm sure I've missed a few things.
Really, the first one all by itself should suffice.

And that doesn't even cover the deluge of obnoxious trolls or mega-morons, who try to pretend the only reason to dislike him is his success.

Because he put the hurt on their heroes. Some folks can't stand that Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Vitor etc weren't as completely awesome as they thought and that Jones was so dominant against them.

Last edited:
eye pokes did it for me.....fight fair

he is a great fighter and not taking that away at all

He admitted to snitching on 'pot smokers', calling them bad people.

That ended any possibility of him going and getting fans. Until he is smoking pot and dropping the 'good guy act' (anyone thinking pot is bad doesnt know what makes a good/bad person), he will always be hated.

What is funny is that not many ''haters' remember this is what started the hate, but it is the rolling rock that started the whole snowball... bandwagon haters :D

1. He has beaten a LOT of oldschool fan favorites.
2. He has had some arrogant tweets over the years.
3. He is confident
4. He is black

Im not going to mention that he has had a few eyepokes over the years. This happens all the time, and fan favorites never got called out for it.

I mention that he is confident and that he is black for reasons that he is not liked. I have been a fan of MMA for a long time. Anyone watching as long as me knows it is a sport primarily embraced by non athletic white males.

There was a reason Fedor was the most popular fighter on here for years. He was shy and pudgy, with the personality of a laundry machine, but he would wreck people. Jones is confident and very athletic. I think the average sherdogger identifies more with a fighter like Fedor. Confident, dominant fighters like Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have always been hated by the average Sherslob.

N
I'm not trolling, I really want to know. I watch his fights, so I guess I just haven't seen enough of his interviews or twitters or whatever to understand the hate. I mean people hate this guy like he stole their money and slept with their girlfriends. Maybe the hate is totally justified, but I just missed the things that he did that called for the hate.

So haters, please enlighten me, preferably with specific things he did that have led to the hate?

Dont bother trying to understand it. He never really did anything that is deserving of this.

People aren't mature enough to realize that he was a 23 year old Champ making millions in a combat sport. He is going to be awkward and try to create a persona, etc. How are most 20 year olds?
The dude is an alpha male by anyone's measure.

But on sherdog they will find the lamest, pettiest things they can criticize him for.

1. He has beaten a LOT of oldschool fan favorites.
2. He has had some arrogant tweets over the years.
3. He is confident
4. He is black

Seriously, why do people assume it's because he's black. McGregor gets hate. Anderson gets love. GSP gets hate. Rashad gets love (despite being kinda of a dick back in the day). It has zero to do with race for a solid 95% of people that dislike Jones.

Also, only young fans don't appreciate him beating the old guard. Anyone that has followed MMA for more than a couple years knows that old-guard losing to new studs is how this sport works.

Example: Nobody hates Cormier and he came in and walked through the old guard in Strikeforce.

Lol so he cant hang out with other females?

I never got how some sherdoggers hang on to this. The chick in the car was his wifes best friend .Of course he must have been boning her. You arent in a social situation with your s.o acquaintances unless its that.:icon_lol:

here i thought this was a fight discussion. never seen so many alleged men dedicated to a strangers personality. someone who they will never meet or truly know.

Jones the person is what people dislike. Outside of pure trolls nobody denies his skill.

I don't really know Jones the person and I don't pretend too.. I also don't make it up as I go along..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back