Honest assessment of Conor's cardio? Who has the best cardio of all time?

Surprising that no one has mentioned prime Fedor. It's much easier to not gas when you're the little guy, but big boys not gassing is far more impressive.

When I think of good cardio I don't necessarily think of guys I haven't seen tired, but more of the guys who use it as a weapon.

Tony Ferguson
Clay Guida
RDA
Cain
Diaz Bros
GSP
I can imagine you dont want it, but you must include Dr. Chaos in your list... guy out gassed RDA

Shogun had endless cardio back in the day. The Lil Nog and Kanehara fights (10 minute first rounds) were pretty much at full speed.

I don't ever remember seeing Big Nog bent over and sucking wind.

Wand and Handy had really good cardio in their time.

Sean Sherk was a beast.

That guy could go forever.

Sherk vs hughes is a great fight to show to people in the post usada age, to show them how it used to be. Just full tilt for 15 mins straight, i dont think thats really biologically possible

Shogun had endless cardio back in the day. The Lil Nog and Kanehara fights (10 minute first rounds) were pretty much at full speed.

I don't ever remember seeing Big Nog bent over and sucking wind.
Nog bros had some great genetics for cardio 'cause they seemed to get stronger as the fight went on.

When I think of good cardio I don't necessarily think of guys I haven't seen tired, but more of the guys who use it as a weapon.

Tony Ferguson
Clay Guida
RDA
Cain
Diaz Bros
GSP

Colby should be on that list too. He's one of the best examples of it due to his skillset actually being limited.

Cardio Kings

Cain
RDA
Nate and Nick
Prime Diego sanchez
GSP
Looking at the list, I realize these are all pressure fighters essentially. Cardio seems to be over rated a bit and more a function of who's imposing their will. Cain gassed vs Werdum, GSP gassed versus Bisping (but still pulled it off) and Nate was even gassed in round four vs Conor a bit. The hammer has better gas than the nail.

His cardio is fine as long as it's against somebody he can control the pace against
Anyone who has fought or sparred knows how big of a difference it makes whether or not your getting contrled or doing the controlling. It's everything.

Conor does not have a cardio problem. He threw 435 strikes against Nate Diaz II, and 430 against Floyd. That's a ridiculous output. Nobody with bad cardio would be able to do that.

The problem is precisely his high output levels: he's throwing too much. The last time he showed good cardio was against Holloway, where he threw 173 strikes in 3 rounds. That's still high, but you can see that that's much lower than the fights where he's gassing and why he's not there. Hell, compare it to Diaz 1 where he threw nearly the same amount, 145 strikes, in nearly half the length of time as the Holloway fight. He was fighting at twice the pace as the Holloway fight, of course he became fatigued.

Conor is entirely correct in saying he's being inefficient with his energy.

Conor's cardio is good enough for a fight he stands and strikes with his opponent.
But I don't think it will hold up well if he spends a whole round on the bottom getting punched and trying to stand up.

Back