homer simpson deep half guard sweep (other names or vids?)

Kyuktooki

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was taught this the other day by a blue belt I train with but I can't help and wonder if I am missing some details. I checked on google and I found mention of it here on Sherdog but no vids and not that detailed of a description. Is there another name for this sweep and/or does anyone know where I can find a video of someone teaching it?

Last edited:
I was taught this the other day by a blue belt I train with but I can't help and wonder if I am missing some details. I checked on google and I found mention of it here on Sherdog but no vids and not that detailed of a description. Is there another name for this sweep and/or does anyone know where I can find a video of someone teaching it?

It is on Jeff Glovers deep half guard DVD. Once you have deep half you basically walk your legs toward the leg you don't have trapped and then push on the knee (of the trapped leg) with your hand (outwards) and sit up whilst being careful not to fall into a triangle.

I just got the Jeff Glover Deep Half Guard DVD and this was the first sweep I started using from that position. It's amazing. Works every time.

I gotta check it out, a description of it I know is in the half-guard sticky.

when i search "homer simpson sweep" this is what i got. not sure about the effectiveness though...

The steps, as I was taught, are as follows.
  1. Get under-hook of opponent
  2. Sit up with opposite arm
  3. forward shrimp under the opponent's base
  4. do the weird looking home simpson walk-around thing until you have gone about 90 degrees; same direction as the under-hook
  5. turn back the other direction into the opponent while carefully controlling their leg so as not to get triangled
I guess I forgot about how to control the opponents leg with yours but that should be the foundation of any half-guard sweep.Also, I have been told that you have to be careful with the underhook so as not to get d'arce choked. I'd appreciate some pointers on how not to get d'arced.

I'd appreciate some pointers on how not to get d'arced.

i'm not a definitive expert on darce defense (my main defense being that i'mtoo huge for most people to darce :icon_chee), but i think you want to make sure to keep your underhook tight, and low on the back, and eliminate any possible space. if it gets too high or too loose you leave an opening for the arm to slide in

The steps, as I was taught, are as follows.
  1. Get under-hook of opponent
  2. Sit up with opposite arm
  3. forward shrimp under the opponent's base
  4. do the weird looking home simpson walk-around thing until you have gone about 90 degrees; same direction as the under-hook
  5. turn back the other direction into the opponent while carefully controlling their leg so as not to get triangled
I guess I forgot about how to control the opponents leg with yours but that should be the foundation of any half-guard sweep.Also, I have been told that you have to be careful with the underhook so as not to get d'arce choked. I'd appreciate some pointers on how not to get d'arced.
You don't need an underhook once you're in the position, and it is almost impossible to get darced when in good deep half guard position, and the defense to not get darced is not to keep you're underhook low, you must keep it high.

Fair enough... I am just worried about getting d'arced when I have the underhook which is also important for two of the other three half guard sweeps I use.

Also, I have been told that you have to be careful with the underhook so as not to get d'arce choked. I'd appreciate some pointers on how not to get d'arced.

Just get underneath your opponent and swing your legs until you are both facing the same direction. Then there is no D'Arce. If you want to block the D'Arce while still facing your opponent with an underhook, just pronate the wrist of the underhooking arm and put the back of your hand against his back. This points your elbow to the sky and makes it impossible to get a deep enough whizzer.

Just get underneath your opponent and swing your legs until you are both facing the same direction. Then there is no D'Arce. If you want to block the D'Arce while still facing your opponent with an underhook, just pronate the wrist of the underhooking arm and put the back of your hand against his back. This points your elbow to the sky and makes it impossible to get a deep enough whizzer.

That sounds helpful... i'll try this and see how it works. I had to look up pronate on google. I thought I knew a lot of words but I definitely did not know that one.

Back