Homeless veteran says couple who raised $400K for him are 'hypocritical,' won't give him money

the problem is that the couple was using it as their own personal fund- taking vacations, buying a car, and gambling. Apparently, they expected just enough to buy him a trailer but when it went viral and the donations came roaring in, their greed got the better of them.
People donated to give HIM the money, not so this self righteous couple decides his fate.

Oh, shit. Then yes, they need to turn over all the money immediately. What a couple of assholes.

D’Amico claimed that Bobbitt has a drug problem and that he couldn’t be trusted with the money. “Giving him all that money, it’s never going to happen. I’ll burn it in front of him,” he told The Inquirer.

this comment to an article sums it up best:
Jesus what the hell is wrong with you? “I’d rather this money get destroyed in front of him than given to somebody who might not spend it in the way I morally approve of.” Like yeah the dude has a drug problem. He’s homeless, did you think it was an easy life? Did you think he just calmly slept outside begging for money so he could help out women with car troubles, never needing or feeling anything for himself?

Like come on. These people didn’t donate money to the GoFundMe for you to judge this adult man and determine if he should be able to use their money. So what if he squanders it? So what if he wastes it on drugs? That’s the deal!

Should be if it's not.

I mean, if it's not, I'm hitting the streets today and looking for sob stories to set up a GoFundMe page to use as my personal bank account.

This is why I don't give to any of these fund me type causes. I don't trust they'll receive the money.
And these major charities where the top brass and CEO's and multi millionaires...WTF!!

Money changes everything Im pretty sure many of you remember this story all over the news the homeless guy gave them the last money in his pocket and they set up a go fund me for him and they made over 400k and they told the media all that money is for him.

What do you guys think about this? I think if they set up the go fund me saying all the money goes to the homeless dude than they have to give him the money, because the people who donated the money donated for him.

Homeless veteran says couple who raised $400K for him are 'hypocritical,' won't give him money originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

A homeless man who helped out a woman with his last $20, and gained national fame for it, has spoken out just one day after a judge ordered the woman and her husband to turn over what's left of the money they raised in his name.

"I wish it didn't come to this," Johnny Bobbitt told ABC News affiliate WPVI in Philadelphia. "I hate that it came to this."

Bobbitt, a 35-year-old Marine Corps veteran who says he was living on the streets of Philadelphia, gave Kate McClure, 28, the last of the cash he had panhandled that day after she ran out of gas, she wrote on a GoFundMe page that she created on Nov. 10 last year.

The page ended up raising more than $400,000, according to the GoFundMe page.

With the money, McClure and her husband, Mark D'Amico, 39, bought Bobbitt a camper and parked it on land belonging to McClure's family, according to the Associated Press. He also received $25,000, which he spent in less than two weeks, the AP reported.

In June, Bobbitt says he ended up back on the streets after D'Amico told him he had to leave the property, the AP reported.

Bobbitt filed a lawsuit against D'Amico and McClure alleging that the couple had used the funds like their own "personal piggy bank to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford," his attorneys wrote.

The couple denies those claims, saying they're wary of giving Bobbitt large sums because they fear he will buy drugs, according to the Associated Press.

Bobbitt said they had complete control of the funds.

"I had to ask them for everything in the beginning," Bobbitt said. "It was like a joke, they were like my parents, but the joke starts not being funny."

"I always felt like I was in a weird situation. I didn't want to be pressuring [anyone] to get a lawyer or do anything because I didn't want to seem ungrateful," he added.

A New Jersey judge issued an order Thursday for the couple to transfer the money into an escrow account by the end of the day on Friday as well as hire a forensic accountant who could review the financial records within 10 days.

The couple's attorney, Ernest Badway, argued in court that the couple has spent much more on Bobbitt. McClure and D'Amico have used about $200,000, which include the trailer, truck and giving Bobbitt cash for his everyday necessities, Badway said, citing records he has seen.

They are currently preparing the accounting that will "show where the money went," Badway said.

McClure and D'Amico did not return calls and emails seeking comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/homeless-...ocritical-222035044--abc-news-topstories.html
Youre+invited+subscribe_1ee963_4379352.png

I mean, if it's not, I'm hitting the streets today and looking for sob stories to set up a GoFundMe page to use as my personal bank account.
It actually was a pretty common exploitation tactic by YouTubers a couple years ago.

He blew $25k in 2 weeks? lol

There are no winners in this story. Retards on both sides.
It's not super surprising. Poor people spend what they have because the concept of long term gratification and saving has sort of atrophied. It's like asking a starving person to give up a meal because there will be more later for them. It's a mental condition. Not to mention he had over $300,000 left so the $25,000 isn't much in comparison. And most expenses will come early. I reckon most poor people who come in to large amounts of money spend like this in the first few weeks. He's homeless, no one ever said he was a Rhodes Scholar.

They better have a pretty good accounting of where that money went cause its hard to (quickly) spend $200k without buying a car or realestate
why should they need to? I don't believe that you have anything in the way of legal obligations to spend money from those sites like you say you will. Just as long as they do the taxes right.

I worked with a buddy on the road for 6 months. He was separated from his wife and she was off doing drugs and constantly calling with drama. We got back home for 2 weeks between jobs and he died in a car accident. Went sideways into a streetlamp at 80.

He had a 125k life insurance policy that everyone involved knew was a bad idea to give to her. No one could say no though and the insurance company paid her. I still owed him a few k for wages and I got suckered into giving his wife half. I tried to give it all to his family for the funeral.

She blew through 125,000 dollars in 4-6 months. She popped up one day at the charity I volunteer at and asked for gas money. She was living in a beat to shit $1,000 ford taurus.

It is never a good idea to give an addict a windfall. You have to put strings on it.
"you can have 4k a month if you pass a 2 weekly random drug test"

why should they need to? I don't believe that you have anything in the way of legal obligations to spend money from those sites like you say you will. Just as long as they do the taxes right.

I don't know a whole lot about gofundme but I think they have some safeguards in place to ensure the money is spent in accordance to the original pitch.

There have been a number of cases where they halted a drive and gave all the donations back.

America: Serve your country and then out onto the fucking street once we're done with you!

Seriously? There's TONS of programs for Veterans out there, but what are the chances that a drug addict are going to utilize them? List how the government / VA / America was supposed to help this guy? Then extrapolate that and make sure it fits every single veteran out there. Then tell me how much that entire program costs. Then, lets see if any governing body is going to put that kind of money into a program for Veterans considering they are a small minority of the populace.

I generally like your posts but this one was beyond fucking stuipd.

Like come on. These people didn’t donate money to the GoFundMe for you to judge this adult man and determine if he should be able to use their money. So what if he squanders it? So what if he wastes it on drugs? That’s the deal!

Separate it into two issues:

1) should the guy get the money, now that he is displaying he will blow it. (he was acting clean at the beginning of the drive)

2) The people are stealing it.

-----

1) Im pretty sure every single one of those donators do not want to give drug money to the guy. They wanted to give him a chance at a new life. They gave, naively believing that addict guy had turned over a new leaf, and or the raising couple was hands on helping him to turn over that new leaf.

2) they are crooks and everyone should be pissed.

I don't know a whole lot about gofundme but I think they have some safeguards in place to ensure the money is spent in accordance to the original pitch.

There have been a number of cases where they halted a drive and gave all the donations back.
they have the power to do that by their terms of service. Different story once a campaign is closed and someone is trying to pursue legal action.

Just give the guy the money. Let him do what he wants with it.

This story breaks my heart. His fellow Marines weren't trying to assist him in the civilian sector? "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." I've known people to leave the military, do well for themselves, build houses and offer those they served with a room if they ever found themselves on hard times. All the specifics of the story I don't know, but how it got to this is beyond me and is not okay. "Marines take care of their own."

He also received $25,000, which he spent in less than two weeks, the AP reported.
<{katwhu}><{Joewithit}>

America: Serve your country and then out onto the fucking street once we're done with you!

There are over 20 million veterans. Who exactly is supposed to fund a $12,500/week drug habit for 20 million people? Should the government have a $13 trillion dollar annual budget for veterans to shoot smack till they die?

They have to give that homeless crackhead veteran his money, because when you set up a go fund me and go public and say its for the homeless guy the people who donated are not donating to You they are donating to the homeless guy

If they want they can set him up with a guardian or conservatorship who helps him avoid spending his money on drugs, get him rehab and I think Britney spears dad was her Guardian conservator and Mike Tyson had something similar, I remember Tyson said he would beg and beg his accountant to give him money which mike said he was going to use to buy cocaine but his accountant only gave him money for things like clothes, living expenses food.

But if this couple is spending that money for themselves that is wrong, that is misleading and fraud, they said all that money was for him from what I remember when this story broke.

The issue with Go Fund me is a lot of fraudsters using tragedy to make money

Someone should hold the money in trust for him and dole it out to him while helping him to make better life choices, but it shouldn't be this cunt.

An addict isn't going to turn around and make perfect choices all of a sudden. He will slip and make mistakes etc, and some snotty bitch with no experience has no right to withhold his cash.

He should be set up with a home and food etc and helped to live a more productive life but expecting him to be completely clean and over his demons overnight is shockingly naive.

Back