Homeless veteran says couple who raised $400K for him are 'hypocritical,' won't give him money

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, Sep 2, 2018.

1. TidWell Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Money changes everything Im pretty sure many of you remember this story all over the news the homeless guy gave them the last money in his pocket and they set up a go fund me for him and they made over 400k and they told the media all that money is for him.

What do you guys think about this? I think if they set up the go fund me saying all the money goes to the homeless dude than they have to give him the money, because the people who donated the money donated for him.

Homeless veteran says couple who raised $400K for him are 'hypocritical,' won't give him money originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

A homeless man who helped out a woman with his last $20, and gained national fame for it, has spoken out just one day after a judge ordered the woman and her husband to turn over what's left of the money they raised in his name.

"I wish it didn't come to this," Johnny Bobbitt told ABC News affiliate WPVI in Philadelphia. "I hate that it came to this."

Bobbitt, a 35-year-old Marine Corps veteran who says he was living on the streets of Philadelphia, gave Kate McClure, 28, the last of the cash he had panhandled that day after she ran out of gas, she wrote on a GoFundMe page that she created on Nov. 10 last year.

The page ended up raising more than $400,000, according to the GoFundMe page.

With the money, McClure and her husband, Mark D'Amico, 39, bought Bobbitt a camper and parked it on land belonging to McClure's family, according to the Associated Press. He also received $25,000, which he spent in less than two weeks, the AP reported.

In June, Bobbitt says he ended up back on the streets after D'Amico told him he had to leave the property, the AP reported.

Bobbitt filed a lawsuit against D'Amico and McClure alleging that the couple had used the funds like their own "personal piggy bank to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford," his attorneys wrote.

The couple denies those claims, saying they're wary of giving Bobbitt large sums because they fear he will buy drugs, according to the Associated Press.

Bobbitt said they had complete control of the funds.

"I had to ask them for everything in the beginning," Bobbitt said. "It was like a joke, they were like my parents, but the joke starts not being funny."

"I always felt like I was in a weird situation. I didn't want to be pressuring [anyone] to get a lawyer or do anything because I didn't want to seem ungrateful," he added.

A New Jersey judge issued an order Thursday for the couple to transfer the money into an escrow account by the end of the day on Friday as well as hire a forensic accountant who could review the financial records within 10 days.

The couple's attorney, Ernest Badway, argued in court that the couple has spent much more on Bobbitt. McClure and D'Amico have used about $200,000, which include the trailer, truck and giving Bobbitt cash for his everyday necessities, Badway said, citing records he has seen.

They are currently preparing the accounting that will "show where the money went," Badway said.

McClure and D'Amico did not return calls and emails seeking comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/homeless-...ocritical-222035044--abc-news-topstories.html

2. 5crew Black Belt

Conclusion:
    The lawyers on both side wins.
    No one else.

Dumb people are dumb.

3. cocksure Silver Belt

Didn't he have his dick cut off?

4. moreorless87 Straba

Probably highlighting again why enterprises like gofundme are on dodgy ground legally compared to normal charities.

5. Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

I hate when liberals treat people (especially minorities) like pets. Just give the guy the money and be done with it.

6. Briar Blue Belt

From the AP article: “He’s really left us with no choice but to go forward,” said Fallon, one of two pro bono lawyers from Cozen O’Connor in Philadelphia whom Bobbitt retained last week.

7. ToxicShocker Red Belt

Have you ever tried to t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ help an addict?

8. ToxicShocker Red Belt

They better have a pretty good accounting of where that money went cause its hard to (quickly) spend $200k without buying a car or realestate

9. all caps Gold Belt

I could make it vanish in a couple days. No doubt about that.

10. ThulsaDooom Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

America: Serve your country and then out onto the fucking street once we're done with you!

11. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

I can understand why they would be hesitant to just give it all to him. Apparently, he spent $25k on drugs in a week. But hey, if I was given $400k, I might do the same thing. Of course, I would invest the remainder and this guy will probably spend it all on drugs. But so what? If that’s what he wants, I say let him do it.

12. Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

That really would be an awkward position for the homeless guy. Essentially begging for money that people gave to him already. Sounds like they got more than they expected and they felt they already did him enough of a favor. Sucks, he did a kind thing and people wanted to return the kindness, typical feel good stuff, but it turns in to some weird shit quickly because of money.

13. cincymma79 Gold Belt

He’s an addict
    I can’t stand crackheads
    They’re probably cunts too but he’s trash and this is what happens when you stick your hand in there

14. Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

I agree. I mean he can OD many times over on $25,000, if he's still alive after that it's just an excuse to be in control of it. Sounds like they're acting like his pimp by buying him shit, creates a weird power dynamic. If they didn't trust him, they should have given him $20 back and left it at that.

15. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

Isn't this some form of fraud?

16. bad seed Banned Banned

the problem is that the couple was using it as their own personal fund- taking vacations, buying a car, and gambling. Apparently, they expected just enough to buy him a trailer but when it went viral and the donations came roaring in, their greed got the better of them.
    People donated to give HIM the money, not so this self righteous couple decides his fate.

17. Medical Marijuana Man Buddah Buddah Buddah Banned

The military has programs that help homeless vets but more times than not the homeless vets aren't really vets

18. Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

Should be if it's not.

They probably justified it by saying they did "enough" for him, like there's a limit to other people's kindess since they didn't expect that. So the surplus of money was "extra". They should have donated it to homeless shelters or something if they felt that way.

19. Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

No. I believe that's what rehab centers and halfway-houses are for

20. Oeshon Steel Belt

He blew $25k in 2 weeks? lol

There are no winners in this story. Retards on both sides.