Crime Homeless man stabs student, pleas castle doctrine because he was defending his home: a box

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...-home-his-home-is-a-box/ar-BBYYibJ?ocid=ientp

Each night, Joseph Matos builds his home on the East Side by placing several cardboard boxes on the ground for cushioning and then linking together a half dozen others so he can fit inside to sleep.

One night in October 2018, he said, he was jolted from his slumber by a thud, followed by another. Startled, he leapt outside and grabbed a knife. A college student, walking by with a friend, had kicked Mr. Matos’s box because he thought it was trash, investigators said.

What happened next could send Mr. Matos, 57, to prison for more than a decade. Mr. Matos faces assault charges for stabbing one of the men and slashing the other, but he is fighting the case with an unusual argument: His lawyers say he was defending his home against attackers.

Under New York’s “castle doctrine,” a person has a right to protect his home with deadly force if he reasonably believes another person is entering without permission and is seeking to commit a crime. The defense hinges partly on whether a collection of cardboard boxes is a home.

I need a few more details to decide, if the kid kicked the box and kept on walking he's a royal asshole but didn't deserve to get stabbed as he was no longer an active threat. If the kid kicked the box and was continuing to attack the box or taunting the homeless guy who was in fear of being attacked again then war homeless dude. He has every right to protect what he calls home.

Reading through, seems one kid's stab wounds are to the shoulder and back so that's not a good sign that it was actually defensive. The other above the eye.

Homelessness needs to be illegal.

I'd rather live in prison than in a cardboard box if I'm being honest.

Can't these homeless people just learn how to code already?

Who kept his box in living condition while he is in jail? Will it get repossessed?

I don't buy for a second that the college student was kicking the box "because he thought it was trash". He was kicking the box because he knew a homeless person was inside and he thought it was funny. There's lots of stories of young guys beating up homeless people for fun, they see them as easy targets.

Not worth getting killed over, but I don't feel sorry for him - he just happens to be the one who got retribution after poking the bear when people usually don't pay consequences for their behaviour.

Hm, I'll allow it

after 13 you can´t make Castles out of cardboards, take this homeless to prison for life he will finally have a castle of his own.

I don't buy for a second that the college student was kicking the box "because he thought it was trash". He was kicking the box because he knew a homeless person was inside and he thought it was funny. There's lots of stories of young guys beating up homeless people for fun, they see them as easy targets.

Not worth getting killed over, but I don't feel sorry for him - he just happens to be the one who got retribution after poking the bear when people usually don't pay consequences for their behaviour.

Homeless person confirmed ^^^^^

Guess that homeless guy just won’t be boxed in by society

Back