Home treadmill recommendation?

Easto

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My wife wants a treadmill for home. We have shitty winters and hectic work schedules, and young kids. It's not as easy as it once was to get a run in. Is also get some use out of the treadmill.

We checked out a FreeMotion 1500gs today which looks promising.

However, I've also went to the gym and never owned or shopped for treadmills before. This one has a $2200 CAD price tag.

Can anyone give any recommendations on a good reliable treadmill that would be able to handle 230lbs running on it.

Any opinions on the model above?

I don't really know where to start and I'm not too interested in $3K or more if I don't have to.

The cheapest and healthiest way is to run in a nearby park. I don't even get why people use treadmills.

The cheapest and healthiest way is to run in a nearby park. I don't even get why people use treadmills.

Yes, because running in the park when you deal with winter weather and a short time frame is really applicable here. He addressed this in his OP dumb fuck.

My wife wants a treadmill for home. We have shitty winters and hectic work schedules, and young kids. It's not as easy as it once was to get a run in. Is also get some use out of the treadmill.

We checked out a FreeMotion 1500gs today which looks promising.

However, I've also went to the gym and never owned or shopped for treadmills before. This one has a $2200 CAD price tag.

Can anyone give any recommendations on a good reliable treadmill that would be able to handle 230lbs running on it.

Any opinions on the model above?

I don't really know where to start and I'm not too interested in $3K or more if I don't have to.

Sorry for the typo's, I'm on my cell.

I prefer to run outside, this is for the times that's not possible. When you work all day, come home, make supper, and get the kids to bed running outside isn't an option.

When it's -30 degrees Celsius and 3' snow it's not quite the running weather.

Sorry for the typo's, I'm on my cell.

I prefer to run outside, this is for the times that's not possible. When you work all day, come home, make supper, and get the kids to bed running outside isn't an option.

stabilicers-sportrunners-ice-cleats.jpg

+

Best-Running-Jackets-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg

=
running-in-the-snow.jpg

#noexcuses
#treadmillsaregay

You can run anywhere. If your wife isn't already running around the block or at a park, the expensive treadmil is going to probably collect dust after a few weeks.

But if she insists, get the most effective exercise machine available, like an eliptical.

cybex-360a-elliptical-trainer.jpg

While a natural terrain is the cheapest and easiest, don't spend much on a treadmill. Anything with adjustable speed and adjustable incline is good.

I did skiing during winters but I admit there's too much hassle with it, but still always preferred to run outdoors, even when -30

And I have a wife to bang and two kids to put in beds

Actually, it's quite refreshing to run when it's dat dam cold. What actually prevented me from doing it that way sometimes is hanging on online forums, such as sherdog

Running in the snow gets old really fast.

I recommend precor/star tac. They are pricey but believe me if you buy from the cheap sub $1k they break easily and you will spend more time dealing with the warranty than running on them.

Back at home I have a smooth 13.75tl which always worked well. I'm also not into treadmills but they can be good for a quick and dirty interval workout or a short recovery run. Nothing over 30 mins on it for me though.

In the phys lab here they have woodway treadmills which are really really nice but I think they are quite expensive, like 5000 dollars.

If I was buying something just to get winter workouts in, I'd probably just get a concept 2 rower.

I bought a NordicTrack treadmill for my condo as I too live in a cold weather state. I just got there basic model for $400 and a three year warranty for $300. I have had it for a year and it works great, I consistently use it 3-4 a week. I weigh around 205 lbs. The only malfunction I have had on it was the console quit working last month, but NordicTrack shipped me a brand new one 5 days after calling their customer service.

We have a Sole. Up to 15% incline. Decent custom programming. Very solid. I hear you will regret going cheap.

You can run anywhere. If your wife isn't already running around the block or at a park, the expensive treadmil is going to probably collect dust after a few weeks.

But if she insists, get the most effective exercise machine available, like an eliptical.

cybex-360a-elliptical-trainer.jpg

you obviously didn't read the original thread either. he said its for winter weather when running outside is not ideal.

Thanks for the couple suggestions thus far.

We have two people working with two different schedules. My wife ends up at home a lot with 2 young kids. Even with perfect weather she can't skip out for 30 mins leaving two kids (under 5 years old) at home. It's either buy a treadmill or sit on the couch watching TV.

So why a treadmill?

Because she wants to run on a treadmill. She doesn't want an elliptical, rowing machine, stepper, etc.

Did you check Craigslist? There is always someone on there looking to get rid of a treadmill they bought on January 1st and stopped using January 2nd when their resolution plans failed

Did you check Craigslist? There is always someone on there looking to get rid of a treadmill they bought on January 1st and stopped using January 2nd when their resolution plans failed

I've looked around. So far only cheap crappy ones.

I'm 200+ so I need one with a decent motor on it that I can run on and will take the grind of running.

My wife and I have a Lifefitness T3 that is 13 yrs old and still going strong. I too live in a climate with pretty rough winters, so sometimes it's a good option. Though I don't run too much anymore, but still versatile enough for a weighted ruck march on an incline. I'd say only buy one if you'll know you're going to use it pretty regularly due to the initial cost. And definitely think about a used one. Many people buy them and they sit unused, so they just want to unload them for a fair price. A nearly new machine with someone else absorbing the depreciation is a much better deal.

I recommend precor/star tac. They are pricey but believe me if you buy from the cheap sub $1k they break easily and you will spend more time dealing with the warranty than running on them.

Word.

I sell, assemble, deliver and repair treadmills for a living. I've seen all sorts of shit go wrong with them. Believe me when I say that dropping the extra cash on a bigger, sturdier unit is the way to go. You really do get what you pay for.

If you're going to be running regularly, the treadmill will need a minimum of a 2chp motor and also a running deck about 500mm wide by 1400mm long. Something with a good weight rating is important too.

On another note, make sure to carry out regular maintenance on your treadmill in order to make sure the belt and running deck don't fuck out.

My wife and I have a Lifefitness T3 that is 13 yrs old and still going strong. I too live in a climate with pretty rough winters, so sometimes it's a good option. Though I don't run too much anymore, but still versatile enough for a weighted ruck march on an incline. I'd say only buy one if you'll know you're going to use it pretty regularly due to the initial cost. And definitely think about a used one. Many people buy them and they sit unused, so they just want to unload them for a fair price. A nearly new machine with someone else absorbing the depreciation is a much better deal.

You really gotta be careful buying used, even relatively new used machines. Warranties only cover for the person who actually purchased the machine in the first place, and you might wind up having to spend a few hundred straight off the bat getting it up and running again. You wouldn't believe how many people I get bringing in machines that they've purchased online for what they thought was a bargain but now need a few hundred dollars to replace or repair parts.

Back