Home security

Kowboy Karl

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Want to setup my house with cameras and an alarm.

Which is better

Wifi cameras and cloud storage or dvr and hardwire?

Going with a big company or a local one?

Automatic door locks with remote access or just high quality locks ?

Any other pit falls nuance or don't miss feature I should get?

i already have both of those. well the game pits ashes are in an urn . but he's so game people still fear him in a wooden box

]Want to setup my house with cameras and an alarm.

Which is better

Depends on how many cameras you want. If you just want to monitor your front and back doors or something, then i would recommend the
wifi cameras (run a hardwire to them for best quality / performance) and cloud storage versus a DVR. If you're going to do four or more I would
recommend a DVR.

What do you mean? For monitored security? I.e. if alarm goes off calls police and dispatch place calls you and says 'hey your alarm is going off'
I prefer unmonitoried security. Basically it's the exact same as an alarm system but no one monitors it, however you can setup a system that can push
notify your phone. That way you save the monthly fee but still have an ear piercing theft deterrant.

High quality locks IMO. Physically nothing beats the power of a deadbolt.

A dog with an aggressive bark, combined with signs all over your property "smile, you're on camera" or whatever
is a pretty effective combo / theft deterrant.

I would strongly recommend you hardwire your shit. Wi-fi shmi-fi

Any camera system you have needs to have battery backup and the video stored off site. If you use a dvr they can steal that unless you hide it well. Wired cameras lead them right to your dvr but wireless cameras can be jammed. Without battery backup, burglars can disable your cameras by shutting off your power.

A cheap camera system is a trail camera mounted in an inconspicuous location where it won't be easily seen or high enough up so it isn't easy to get to.

An alarming trend in burglaries is starting a fire to destroy evidence which would burn a dvr.

The best locks in the world won't keep burglars out if you have glass windows.

An alarm system should have an outdoor LOUD alarm that neighbors or passer by might hear and look to see what's going on. This should be a 12 volt unit run off a car battery. A strobe light is good too.

I would put strobe lights and sirens inside the house too. Very annoying and disorienting.

A dog might seem like a good deterrent but they can be easily bribed with food.

7lSxdoM.jpg

Want to setup my house with cameras and an alarm.

Which is better

Anyone determined enough to bypass shit locks will pass good locks. Using a screwdriver to pry the glass from windows is normal. If they do trust break it.

Most thieves are just for easy pickings, windows left open or sheds for example.

Camera footage of the criminal will be unlikely to get your shit back or even catch the offender.

What your talking about if you don't bar all your windows, doors and roof is basically a security charade.

It's better to have nothing you cannot replace and have good insurance imo. Maybe a dog too.

I am a low-voltage electrician that specializes in IP Video Surveillance and do it full time.

Let me come at you bro, I'll give you my best professional assessment momentarily.

Landmines are the way to go, IMO.

First and foremost, my golden rule is: nothing says "Fuck Off" like good lighting.

Let me be the one to inject some common sense about the real world. Nobody is going to have the balls to come near a well hung surveillance system that just dangles off the property saying, "You want these balls you're gonna have to deal with cack first!" And I've done four different marijuana dispensaries catered specifically to the state laws in which they have additional surveillance details that are immaterial to helping you, but nobody fucks with these places either because the Internet connection in the place is sending live footage to an app on your smartphone.

I installed another at my GF's parents which have the side stalker benefit of knowing if anyone big and black slinks out of the property and into a blacked out escalade with a lakers sticker reminding me I probably should have retitled camera three to WHORE SLUT IM OUT. If of course this event transpires.

Honestly, get a Hikvision NVR, 4 channel. PoE (power over Ethernet) which means one internet cable powers an entire camera freeing it from that old analog shit I abhor and gives you free range to hang wherever.

Do not use wifi cameras, that's just asking to get your ass whipped. Shit is gayer than a rainbow painted dick candy cane. Don't be that guy.

Hikvision is professional grade. The only other camera if not pro grade, the good shit I use, means it's consumer grade. Don't use it or I will disown you. It's all that shit garbage at Walmart, Costco, and seems like a good deal but has a wifi sticker on it that tricks dipshits into using substandard gear I wouldn't offend a trash can with its shameful chance at being in a garbage can, it needs disposed of only out of a moving car at a high speed and the winds of nature will take it away for good. Pro grade takes a beating and the shit lasts. Authorized distributors can get you the stuff cheap -at cost- but you need a guy like me to have the ability to walk into ADI and buy it cash, keep it in mind. Like most I t has great smartphone remote viewing live and tape review, but very refined and easy to use. Beef up your password or installers like me will add you to the queue of places I've installed that have no clue I have eyes on but just have ethics enough to not abuse it.

My fave is reviewing "event footage". Essentially shit that was motion heavy enough to begin recording (btw you can dial event footage up to max quality so when it counts, you are going full resolution full fps and full octane any time a dog walks by or a goon with a rape mask and a ten inch penis sneaks up on your girlfriends car to gravy cake her seats if she left a window down, it happens.

Or if you got money, use Axis or Avigilon like I run. Alarm, just use a 2gig panel they rock.

Who's your daddy brotha

PS: yes, anyone that wants to bad enough can theoretically break in and take your NVR but I deal in the real world, not muffin mountain on phallus island

Last edited:
I prefer a moat and portcullis.

First and foremost, my golden rule is: nothing says "Fuck Off" like good lighting.

Let me be the one to inject some common sense about the real world. Nobody is going to have the balls to come near a well hung surveillance system that just dangles off the property saying, "You want these balls you're gonna have to deal with cack first!" And I've done four different marijuana dispensaries catered specifically to the state laws in which they have additional surveillance details that are immaterial to helping you, but nobody fucks with these places either because the Internet connection in the place is sending live footage to an app on your smartphone.

I installed another at my GF's parents which have the side stalker benefit of knowing if anyone big and black slinks out of the property and into a blacked out escalade with a lakers sticker reminding me I probably should have retitled camera three to WHORE SLUT IM OUT. If of course this event transpires.

Honestly, get a Hikvision NVR, 4 channel. PoE (power over Ethernet) which means one internet cable powers an entire camera freeing it from that old analog shit I abhor and gives you free range to hang wherever.

Do not use wifi cameras, that's just asking to get your ass whipped. Shit is gayer than a rainbow painted dick candy cane. Don't be that guy.

Hikvision is professional grade. The only other camera if not pro grade, the good shit I use, means it's consumer grade. Don't use it or I will disown you. It's all that shit garbage at Walmart, Costco, and seems like a good deal but has a wifi sticker on it that tricks dipshits into using substandard gear I wouldn't offend a trash can with its shameful chance at being in a garbage can, it needs disposed of only out of a moving car at a high speed and the winds of nature will take it away for good. Pro grade takes a beating and the shit lasts. Authorized distributors can get you the stuff cheap -at cost- but you need a guy like me to have the ability to walk into ADI and buy it cash, keep it in mind. Like most I t has great smartphone remote viewing live and tape review, but very refined and easy to use. Beef up your password or installers like me will add you to the queue of places I've installed that have no clue I have eyes on but just have ethics enough to not abuse it.

My fave is reviewing "event footage". Essentially shit that was motion heavy enough to begin recording (btw you can dial event footage up to max quality so when it counts, you are going full resolution full fps and full octane any time a dog walks by or a goon with a rape mask and a ten inch penis sneaks up on your girlfriends car to gravy cake her seats if she left a window down, it happens.

Or if you got money, use Axis or Avigilon like I run. Alarm, just use a 2gig panel they rock.

Who's your daddy brotha

PS: yes, anyone that wants to bad enough can theoretically break in and take your NVR but I deal in the real world, not muffin mountain on phallus island

really appreciate this response. essentially i have a quote from reliant security with the wifi bs

and one from a referral business partner that does security systems for home and business. he is kind of a knuckle head. but it seems his logic is very inline with yours which makes me feel better. i just worry if anything goes wrong he will never service and or repair it.

he does that watching event footage a lot. he showed me a couple indian guys pulling a gun out of a safe at a used luxury car dealership that they sell crashed and repaired bentleys to the hood peeps. he pointed it at said hoodlum and got arrested. cool story bro. im sure these guys want you watching them and distributing the footage to all your friends at parties. seems very unprofessional.

thanks again

Put this sign on your door.

vgnd7.jpg

Back