home gym in a rental

Cuban Moses

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will be moving in a rental house within in the next two months. I'm looking to get mats and weights to put in a garage. I'm not sure on the size yet, trying to find a three car garage.

A few questions....
Can I put mats down without drilling into the ground for the wood to keep things sturdy?

Do I need to put something underneath the mats so they don't scuff up?

More than likely I won't be able to hang up any heavy bags, so any stands you guys recommend?

What kind of rubber mats are stuitable to perform cleans and such olympic lifts without fear of cracking the ground?

Ideas
Squat Rack
Bench Press
Olympic Weight set
Sandbag
Grappling Mats
Heavy Bag
Jump Rope
Ab wheel
Captains of Crush grippers
sledge hammer
Wrist Roller

If it happens, I will definitely be posting pics of how it looks. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

you don't need to drill mats to keep them in place. in fact the very idea makes me cringe. I can't imagine getting my back skin caught on a screw head while rolling. They stay in place pretty well or you can always put sticky tape or sticky mats underneath.

Most garages have beams or joists that you can hang a heavy bag from. If not I would go with a bag stand rather than a free standing bag.

I bought a crappy set of mats from a sporting goods store. Puzzle Mat - Model MT-2206 at Sears.com

they come in packs of 4. I got 2 sets and just stacked them 4 high under my oly weight set. I work out on a crappy cracked slanted cement basement floor and they have kept the weights from chipping or cracking any more than when I started.

good luck

jesus the hit squad is ugly as hell. I would get dizzy looking at all that camo

I didn't mean drill the actual mats. What I meant was putting a wooden rounded piece of wood down on the edge of the mats so they stay in place. Something similar to what they have on the zebramats website.

Zebra Mats Aceesories - Mat Framing Kit

Would you guys recommend 2 inch thich dollarmur mats?

Why not just use Liquid Nails on the frame?

It will SUCK to remove but, if you're going to be there a while, it will pay off.

You'll just have to scrape and sand the floor when you leave.

There will be marks, but if it's on a concrete floor, the LL shouldn't care.

If you're willing to repair holes and such, you should also be able to hang heavy bags.

Honestly, the repair would only be about 30min for hanging a bag.

Get some stall mats for the weights, just so you don't end up with gouges in the garage floor.

Back