Home Gym, Can't Squat?!?

Martin Plunkett

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just started lifting to get stronger for MMA. I have an Olympic barbell with 300 lbs and a bench. I intend on doing the big three, but I can't squat safely alone. I realize that no exercise can replace the squat, but is there anything I can do insted that is almost as good? I know I can do bodyweight squats and light weight squats, but is there anything else I'm missing? I already dedlift and bench twich a week with heavy weight and low reps. What is a good stand in for squats? Should I substitute power cleans for squats? Just do bodyweight squats for high reps? Any imput will be helpful.

You can still squat. Front squats. Cleans, power cleans. Once in the power clean area you can do front squats from that. Overhead squats, box squats with 50%MW for explosive reps. Those there should keep you busy.

If there's absolutely no way for you to safely do back squats, do front squats. Check the stickies; there should be a description of the exercise somewhere.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said. :redface:

i am in the same position as you....i dont have a rack so i just do front squats.....i like those better anyway as they are more quad-emphasized....if you fail on a front squat you can just throw the weight forward

Front squats man, and as said above, overhead squats. I think those are one of the best exercises for an athlete, great compound movement.

Front squats for reps. use a light load and clean, press and lower a weight into back squat position, dump it when you're done, lunges, step-ups, overhead squats, zercher squats, etc. are other exercises you can do. You don't NEED a power rack to position the bar for squats.

Martin Plunkett said:
I just started lifting to get stronger for MMA. I have an Olympic barbell with 300 lbs and a bench. I intend on doing the big three, but I can't squat safely alone. I realize that no exercise can replace the squat, but is there anything I can do insted that is almost as good? I know I can do bodyweight squats and light weight squats, but is there anything else I'm missing? I already dedlift and bench twich a week with heavy weight and low reps. What is a good stand in for squats? Should I substitute power cleans for squats? Just do bodyweight squats for high reps? Any imput will be helpful.

Invest in a power rack and start squatting.

Back