1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Home Gym, Can't Squat?!?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Martin Plunkett, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Martin Plunkett

Martin Plunkett Brown Belt

I just started lifting to get stronger for MMA. I have an Olympic barbell with 300 lbs and a bench. I intend on doing the big three, but I can't squat safely alone. I realize that no exercise can replace the squat, but is there anything I can do insted that is almost as good? I know I can do bodyweight squats and light weight squats, but is there anything else I'm missing? I already dedlift and bench twich a week with heavy weight and low reps. What is a good stand in for squats? Should I substitute power cleans for squats? Just do bodyweight squats for high reps? Any imput will be helpful.

2. mmacoach

mmacoach Guest

You can still squat. Front squats. Cleans, power cleans. Once in the power clean area you can do front squats from that. Overhead squats, box squats with 50%MW for explosive reps. Those there should keep you busy.

3. Boss Rhythm

Boss Rhythm White Belt

If there's absolutely no way for you to safely do back squats, do front squats. Check the stickies; there should be a description of the exercise somewhere.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said. :redface:

4. boooya777

boooya777 Guest

hindu squats

5. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

i am in the same position as you....i dont have a rack so i just do front squats.....i like those better anyway as they are more quad-emphasized....if you fail on a front squat you can just throw the weight forward

6. Wrecking Ball

Wrecking Ball Orange Belt

Front squats man, and as said above, overhead squats. I think those are one of the best exercises for an athlete, great compound movement.

7. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Front squats for reps. use a light load and clean, press and lower a weight into back squat position, dump it when you're done, lunges, step-ups, overhead squats, zercher squats, etc. are other exercises you can do. You don't NEED a power rack to position the bar for squats.

8. Lusst

Lusst Red Belt

Invest in a power rack and start squatting.