Home Cooked Doesn't Compare

Naan is impossible to make right without a tandoor or other oven that can reach really high heat. Wok cooking impossible without high heat gas flame of doom.

Totally agree on Naan. And the crap you buy at the grocery store shouldn't even be called Naan.

Yeah, pizza is impossible to replicate unless you have the right kind of oven, and know how to make the dough.
The Pizza Hut doe recipe can find online as well as their tomatoe sauce receipt, it's very simple and it also replicates what you would get from the restaurant.

@Tachy ...make it so...

brokeback-mountain-72--629x288.jpg

The Pizza Hut doe recipe can find online as well as their tomatoe sauce receipt, it's very simple and it also replicates what you would get from the restaurant.

A deer?
A Female deer?

For me, I think it's because the whole "being out to dinner" experience that enhances the food.

I'm sure it could taste just as good, but you need like, grandma levels of cooking experience and the right tools.

You need a very hot oven to make good pizza. Unless you're making pan pizza or some focaccia pizza variant.

I can make a mean bowl of raisin bran at home- way better than at some fancy restaurant.

You've probably got a proper pizza oven. That's really the key. You can't be putting that shit on a cookie sheet in a conventional, and expect great results.

Pizza stones man. Buy em cheap at Ross.

You need a very hot oven to make good pizza. Unless you're making pan pizza or some focaccia pizza variant.

There are ways to get around the need for a really hot oven. Using a baking steel with the broiler turned on works wonders. A cast iron skillet with a broiler can work similarly but you're limited to making smaller pizzas.

A baking steel is much better than a pizza stone in my experience. Every pizza stone that I've had has broken, no need to worry the baking steel breaking.

You've probably got a proper pizza oven. That's really the key. You can't be putting that shit on a cookie sheet in a conventional, and expect great results.

If you use a pizza pan and go for a greek style crust you don't need a fancy oven.

To get good NY style pizza some home hobbyists hack their oven so they can use the clean cycle and open the door to get enough heat.

Indian food is tough unless you keep all the spices and can toast and grind on demand

Pizza stones man. Buy em cheap at Ross.

There are ways to get around the need for a really hot oven. Using a baking steel with the broiler turned on works wonders. A cast iron skillet with a broiler can work similarly but you're limited to making smaller pizzas.

A baking steel is much better than a pizza stone in my experience. Every pizza stone that I've had has broken, no need to worry the baking steel breaking.

If you want to go the super cheap route, unglazed stones from Home Depot/Lowes work just as well. These and cast iron definitely work great in concert with the broiler. For the most part, this will mitigate any oven-type issue. You can find very large cast iron (albeit very heavy) at specialty stores that sell kitchen/camping equipment. Add to that a properly prepared dough and other quality ingredients; the difference is negligible. *pre-cooking the dough for a couple minutes before adding other ingredients also helps.

Same thing with Pho. I live in a spot that has a shitload of Vietnamese restaurants and not a damn one of them match the quality I was used to. I found a very good standard pho recipe, made some minor adjustments with ingredients and prep time and now I have bomb ass pho whenever I want. Again, it just takes a bit of time, patience, and practice.

Last edited:
Back