Home Cooked Doesn't Compare

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've tasted the food of some fabulous home cooks in my life. Sometimes there food is equal to or better than any version of what they made but purchased from a restaurant.

But some foods I've tasted home cooked never even seem to get anywhere near as good as the restaurant version.

Two examples: Pizza and Falafel.

Whenever people make pizza at home it's usually "alright" or even "pretty good", but usually id prefer even your average local delivery pizza to it. Heck, maybe even a grocery store frozen pizza.

Anyone have other examples of food that home cooks can't seem to even get close to replicating?

I dunno, man. Probably a fast food burger.

Fast Food burgers. You just can't duplicate it. They've all got a unique flavor. Now, you might make a "better" burger, but if you're looking for an authentic McD's, or Wendy's burger, good luck.

Yeah, pizza is impossible to replicate unless you have the right kind of oven, and know how to make the dough.

I'm Egyptian. Come to my grandmas or aunts house and You'll taste one of if not the best falafel and tahini you've ever had

But in general I agree with u on falafel.

I make a killer pizza in my pizza oven outside. Im into Neapolitan style right now. But I make everything from bacon burger pizza to Taco pizza. The things I always find better in restaurants is Shrimp dishes.

Dim Sum

To be honest, we've never tried because we know we won't even get close.

Pizza, sushi, or homemade chinese always miss their mark in my home.

I'm Egyptian. Come to my grandmas or aunts house and You'll taste one of if not the best falafel and tahini you've ever had

But in general I agree with u on falafel.

Okay can I have your aunts address.

As a chef I really have to disagree. I can make pizza better than most restaurants. Never tried to make falafel though.

My brother is a chef, he can nail common restaurant dishes in a home kitchen, pizza, falafel, pho, but the kitchen inevitably looks like a bomb went off after. As a decent home cook, I cant make that kind of magic happen.

As a chef I really have to disagree. I can make pizza better than most restaurants. Never tried to make falafel though.

You've probably got a proper pizza oven. That's really the key. You can't be putting that shit on a cookie sheet in a conventional, and expect great results.

I've tasted the food of some fabulous home cooks in my life. Sometimes there food is equal to or better than any version of what they made but purchased from a restaurant.

But some foods I've tasted home cooked never even seem to get anywhere near as good as the restaurant version.

Two examples: Pizza and Falafel.

Whenever people make pizza at home it's usually "alright" or even "pretty good", but usually id prefer even your average local delivery pizza to it. Heck, maybe even a grocery store frozen pizza.

Anyone have other examples of food that home cooks can't seem to even get close to replicating?

lol, well no shit on pizza. Most people do not have a wood burning oven or a good sauce recipe

Definitely burgers. Didn't Eddie Murphy have a bit about this in Raw?

Edit: found it

Now I don't really like McDonalds burgers, so it's not the best example, but I've never tasted home made burgers that can hold a candle to Five Guys for example.

Naan is impossible to make right without a tandoor or other oven that can reach really high heat. Wok cooking impossible without high heat gas flame of doom.

Back