Holyfield - Greatest chin in combat sports history?

saugeye killah

No need rope hold up pants.
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into all the specifics, but I know he was TKOD by Bowe, and also Toney eventually after he was WAY past it. However, if you look at the shots he took throughout his career and who he took them from...wow.

The guy's head is made of iron. He has to be the hardest guy to KO ever.

Real Deal was one of the grittiest guys to ever lace them up but there are som ungodly chin legends ahead of him. La Motta, Hagler, Chuvalo. Quite a few ahead of Holyfield imo.

La Motta and Hagler weren't heavyweights and they wouldn't be able to take heavyweight shots in those days. Holyfield was a natural light heavyweight that made his way to heavyweight so you can bet he had better chins than those guys in reality and pound for pound rankings.

I'm not going to get into all the specifics, but I know he was TKOD by Bowe, and also Toney eventually after he was WAY past it. However, if you look at the shots he took throughout his career and who he took them from...wow.

The guy's head is made of iron. He has to be the hardest guy to KO ever.

Not even close. Tex Cobb was nowhere as good a fighter, but Holyfield had a glass jaw compared to Cobb. Cobb had a bat busted over his head in a bar fight and kept swinging. Holyfield would have ended up in the hospital or the morgue.

Hagler took hearns best shot and marched forward, that beats real deal to me

^ Hagler had a chin, but Hagler also took a good deal out of Tommy's right hand by marching forward instead of backing up. That's quite different than standing upward and being trapped up against the ropes, which is what Duran did.

AFA Evander goes, I think he boxed someone who had a better chin than him -

300px-Toney_Vs_Holyfield2.jpg

Oliver McCall has the best chin in boxing... He wasn't a better fighter than Evander, but he had/has a better chin. As far as I know he's never been dropped or even hurt for that matter.. And he's still fighting WAY past his prime.

^ Hagler had a chin, but Hagler also took a good deal out of Tommy's right hand by marching forward instead of backing up. That's quite different than standing upward and being trapped up against the ropes, which is what Duran did.

AFA Evander goes, I think he boxed someone who had a better chin than him -

300px-Toney_Vs_Holyfield2.jpg

Duran was fighting way above his size. Tommy wasn't. This is hagler and not close

La Motta and Hagler weren't heavyweights and they wouldn't be able to take heavyweight shots in those days. Holyfield was a natural light heavyweight that made his way to heavyweight so you can bet he had better chins than those guys in reality and pound for pound rankings.

Natural LHW? He never made 175 as a pro. 176 is cruiserweight.

No.. not even close.. there are plenty of guys that werent as good defensively as he was that didnt get rocked like he did... if this thread was titled.."strongest will in history" he would be in the running

Not even close. Tex Cobb was nowhere as good a fighter, but Holyfield had a glass jaw compared to Cobb. Cobb had a bat busted over his head in a bar fight and kept swinging. Holyfield would have ended up in the hospital or the morgue.

Holyfield doesn't have a glass jaw compared to anyone.

James toney

Went from middleweight to hw and still haven't seen him hurt to this day

I'll toss out a name that probably won't be mentioned. Tua had an amazing chin. My vote goes to Hagler though

Duran had a great chin, despite anything that happened in 1984.

Robinson too. In 25 years of professional boxing and nearly 200 fights he was stopped only once.

Definitely up there, but my vote goes to hagler

Since you said combat sports, probably some MT guys worth a mention, but I don't know MT very well

Well thank god for weight classes then right..... No one said "p4p" and those arguments are retarded imo anyway.

I'll toss out a name that probably won't be mentioned. Tua had an amazing chin. My vote goes to Hagler though

Tua is in the top 10 for me for sure. He was a monster.

Back