Holy @&?! what a fight

whooty

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
All the controversy about the scorecards aside, what a fight that was!
It's been quitte some time I've been THAT exited during a fight, both guys really went all out and I just want to express my appreciation for a second. The new wave of Light heavyweights is taking over, with Rashad, Mousassi, Machida and Chael going to MW, and Shogun losing a step the new guys are ready to take over.

I'm really exited about the future of the division, and am looking forward to Glover fighting Jones more then ever. I don't think a rematch should happen just yet, because I feel like if they let Alex have a fight or two, it might be a HUGE rematch in the making.

Next LHW round:
Jones vs Texeira
Davis vs Thiago Silva (if he wins)
Gustafsson vs Nogeira

So Jones/Tex vs Davis can be next, after which Gustafsson can fight Hendo (I want this badly), but Hendo should get a gimme fight first so he doesn't get cut.

Then again: Thank you for the amazing fight Gustafsson and Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
that was one of the best fights in years and had me glued to the tv. these kinds of threads dont get made enough but i will also say thankyou to those guys. freaking warriors man!

enough with the 'JJ was lucky' 'Gustaffsson was robbed' threads, just appreciate what we saw there. Alex will get another chance no doubt and he deserves it thoroughly.

id like to see Bones v Glover and Alex vs Machida next (yeah i know, hes at MW next against kennedy, just saying id LIKE to see it)

Yeah man, I also felt a strange impulse to thank the fighters afterwards. It was a really awesome fight, I wish people would just focus on that instead of arguing about scorecards. People don't argue about the scoring on Hendo Shogun, granted that wasn't a title fight, but still. Gus will be getting accolades for this fight forever.

Epic fight was epic. Had me on my toes all the way.

good post ts, despite the disputes in scoring, both fighters stock increased, and their display of sportsmanship post fight even furthered that

amazing fight and awesome card

Good god, Machida vs Gustafsson would be awesome as well, consider Machida fighting a volume puncher with very good boxing technique, instead of the 1000th powerpunching brawler.

That would be a great fight indeed. I just want to see both guys fight again asap! This fight was awesome, and I already loved both guys, but this made them my favorites.

After the first round I stood up and was applauding both guys, alone in my living room lol. Best fight in years. Even better than Shogun/Hendo in my opinion.

Fantastic fight - I almost don't wanna see a rematch, because there's no way it's going to compete with the first bout. FOTY so far for me.

One of the best title fights I've seen. It's quite a while since we've seen both the challenger and champ throw everything they have at each other, endure, and dig down deep to overcome adversity. Gus' confidence was through the roof and you really don't see that hunger out of a champ, let alone a dominant one, nowadays(shout out to Edgar).

LHW having a worthwhile rivalry again is great.

All the controversy about the scorecards aside, what a fight that was!
It's been quitte some time I've been THAT exited during a fight, both guys really went all out and I just want to express my appreciation for a second. The new wave of Light heavyweights is taking over, with Rashad, Mousassi, Machida and Chael going to MW, and Shogun losing a step the new guys are ready to take over.

I'm really exited about the future of the division, and am looking forward to Glover fighting Jones more then ever. I don't think a rematch should happen just yet, because I feel like if they let Alex have a fight or two, it might be a HUGE rematch in the making.

Next LHW round:
Jones vs Texeira
Davis vs Thiago Silva (if he wins)
Gustafsson vs Nogeira

So Jones/Tex vs Davis can be next, after which Gustafsson can fight Hendo (I want this badly), but Hendo should get a gimme fight first so he doesn't get cut.

Then again: Thank you for the amazing fight Gustafsson and Jones.

Good thread TS! i agree with just about everything you said. i think if they wait on the rematch with Gus vs Bones it will be bigger than ever. instant rematches sometimes are too much. and i love when guys go all out and beat the shit outta each other makes me feel like my 60$ was well spent.

He is a winner in my book.That was a huge learning experience for him as well as a great boost to his carreer.
Before the fight ,I thought Alex had the disadvantage of having faced the lesser competition except for Shogun who,at that point,was already declining.
I'm expecting Gus to work more on his kicks and incorporate more diverse techniques to his already stellar boxing skills;particularly since his got fast hands his spinning back fist would be deadly.I always felt he's raw talent that can be molded into an amazing champion.

Forgot about that. So who should he fight then? Someone also coming from a loss i guess. Henderson, Nogueira or Bader?

Nah he deserves someone coming off a win after that fight. Henderson is fighting Vitor anyway. I think they'll either give him Mousasi, Chael/Rashad winner, or a rematch with Davis. Not a lot of other options.

It's a great boost for the LHW division. Everything is exciting again.

The level of technique,heart,pace and wide variety of skills by both guys was unmatched...i can't think of another 5 round fight so highly skilled and tightly contested.

Amazing fight.

Nah he deserves someone coming off a win after that fight. Henderson is fighting Vitor anyway. I think they'll either give him Mousasi, Chael/Rashad winner, or a rematch with Davis. Not a lot of other options.

Nogeira is coming off the Rashad win, and is a respectable, durable veteran. It would be a great opportunity and a honor for Gustafsson to fight a veteran of the sport, and a last chance for Nogeira to secure a title shot for himself.

I think (& want) Lil Nog to get the next title shot.

IMO he's the biggest threat to Jones.

Better boxing & BJJ.

Back