Holy **** Cruz!

He didn't really look to finish (or necessarily even have the tools to get the finish) but he always kept a pretty crazy pace and I thought he was interesting to watch. Finishes don't mean a lot to me, lots of fights that got to decision are great.

Yea I don't understand why people think decision = boring. Not all decisions are created equal. People like GSP who played it safe were boring. Dom comes after fools.

Dom was very aggressive, had an insane pace, and created crazy angles with his footwork. It was great to watch. He has the most unique style in the sport at the top level.

People think Machida and his karate is unique... no one fights like Dom except for guys who've trained with him.

As you said, styles make fights. But Cruz at his best was damn near unbeatable for a reason. Faber just plain did not fight well in their first match, and got caught in their second. Plain and simple.

Unbeatable because Barao wasn't there but like you said, agree to disagree.

Dude was a true original, and it'll be a fucking shame if we never get to see him in top form again.

Massive fan of Dom. He's one of those guys whose style won't really be understood and appreciated by the masses until his time in the sport is long over. Not saying he's the perfect fighter, but he has attributes that'll have fighters in the future building and improving on, hopefully pushing the limits of techniques and skills further. At least, I think so.

He's amazing. Probably the most underrated fighter on here because just like you TS a ton of people judging him have just never seen him fight.

I already was a fan but I became a huge fan after the Mighty Mouse fight. Because I was sure MM was going to give him problems and Cruz just dominated him in all facets with ease, and that's not discrediting MM but just telling you how great Dominick really is.

I disliked Cruz (not anymore, feel bad because of injury), but he was an amazing fighter. Funny you bring up the Mighty Mouse fight becuase I thought Mighty Mouse gave him a ton of problems and forced Cruz to wrestle.

Really? Just start from UFC 40 onward. You're a trooper for sitting through UFC 1 to 25. I couldn't do that sh*t.

The UFC 30s are some of the best cards put forward, if you skip through them your missing out some truly great fights

Ofcourse Cruz was a beast, too bad he never had the ability to do much damage.
Great movement though

People definitely forget just how good he was. Sherdog Short Memory Syndrome in action.

Cruz's wrestling is also the best at BW. no one takes him down, and he can hit that knee tap on anyone, over and over again. I think this could be the defining factor in a fight against barao. That's if he can come back healthy.

Ya you can't compare him to GSP. He fought at a fast pace and I thought he had a fun style to watch. GSP will either jab a guy for 25 mins or lay on them, no comparison

That's funny.

Cruz gets a bunch of TD's but rarely able to keep the opponent down yet somehow that makes it better. The epitome of TD for points

Cruz is 20-1 and as dominant as they come. Vintage Cruz beats Barao easily.

Really? Just start from UFC 40 onward. You're a trooper for sitting through UFC 1 to 25. I couldn't do that sh*t.

Yeah I guess, if you forget that the Mark Coleman and Mark Kerr eras were absolutely fantastic and UFC 15.5 was one of the best events ever held.

He beat Benavidez and Faber in the difficulty, i think he has nothing for Barao i don't understand why everyone want to see Cruz vs Barao he has so much better fights for the brazilian

If/when he comes back, I hope he gets a tune up fight. Cause I can't see how jumping in the cage with Bar

This is NOT the first time I've heard this and it came from people who follow the sport religiously VERY much know their stuff. He was a good fighter and very well rounded, but I always wondered why no one ever threw more leg kicks at him since it always seemed like the obvious solution to slow him down. With that said, even on his best day I'd still pick Barao to take him out.

Because when you're fighting someone like that it's awkward as shit, cause you can't get a sense of their rythm and timing. It really makes you hesitate just enough to where you are half a step to a step behind on your striking.
You also have to factor in Cruz' fight iq and ability to adjust strategy anytime. A lot of people point out the MM fight. It's been awhile since i've watched it, but they were fairly even on striking exchanges until Cruz started wrestling, and that ballooned the fight into cruz' favor bc MM couldn't adjust.

I'd favor cruz against barao if he gets a few tune up fights before.

His wrestling is really good and underrated, he took faber down multiple times and stuffed all of his shots I believe

Yea the new kids around here don't know shit about how good Cruz was.

Cruz cleared out 135 minus barao when 135 was tougher and had fighters like MM & Benavidez.

I think that Barao would walk through Benavidez. MM would be a good fight but it think that Renan takes it easily too.

Great fighter, not the best finished but he was a very very talented fighter. Too bad he will never be the same. If I were him I'd consider retiring before stepping in the cage with Barao at less than 100%.

No one who watched him fight forgot how good he was. Most people are just being realistic because A) a 2+ year layoff is no joke and B) Barao is a monster. Now a prime uninjured cruz?...that dude would've rightfully been the favorite in every ufc fight he would've had. But that guy is probably gone forever.

Back