Holster carry options

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen this discussed a little in a couple threads but feel that it deserves its own.

How do you carry? Open or concealed? Leather or kydex? IWB or another way?

I already have a couple different holsters but am unsure if they're the right type for me.

As y'all probably already know, I recently shot myself. I'm still shaken by the incident and want to ensure that I never have another accidental discharge again.

I have this IWB leather holster which I use in conjunction with this snap on trigger guard.

120682.jpeg

120681.jpeg

120689.jpeg

This holster is alright but I won't use it long term for a couple reasons:
1. I might eventually add a light which this clearly doesn't fit, though I do have a couple reservations about the light which I'll go into in a minute.
2. Once or twice when drawing my weapon, the leather pulled right out of the metal belt clip like this:
121065.jpeg

This is unacceptable so I can no longer use or recommend the holster (made by Relentless Tactical)

Now I could look into a leather holster that fits a light but the other concern that I have with using any leather holster is this pic posted by @RerouteToRemain

20210610_043703.jpg

This terrifies me:

If I mount a light, I won't be able to use my snap on trigger guard anymore which would protect me against this. I know, you're going to say 'just get a kydex holster that fits the light, problem solved' but there's a couple other points that I want to go over.

The other CCW holster that I have is this one and I like it a LOT

41IxsPyr6QL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I love this because I can wear it with anything without worrying about a carry belt, even work out clothes.

But it's only an option with the snap on trigger guard. If I get a light and can't use the trigger guard anymore, this is off the table because I'm not risking shooting my dick off (unless they make a snap on guard that fits over a light which I haven't been able to find).

Ok, so the next option that I don't have but have always wanted: a leather shoulder holster, maybe something like a galco miami classic. Looks comfortable and it'd be nice to have an option that will fit under a jacket in cooler weather if I don't want a lot of crap on my waist.

41ys1oZCgEL._AC_.jpg

s-l640-1.jpg

I guess the same thing could happen with the accidental trigger press as that picture by reroutetoremain (just noticed that it's actually a galco.. maybe there's a safer, better shoulder holster option than that brand) so I'm not totally sure if I feel safe with this, but it's a great looking holster imo.

Edit: these look really nice. I like that the straps are wider and not as flimsy looking as the galco- https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product-category/concealment-holsters/shoulder-holsters/

Anyway, probably the most sensible option would be to get a nice IWB kydex holster that will fit my glock with a light attached with little risk of an accidental discharge but I still felt like making this thread and having the discussion.

IWB-01_1000-R1_1200x1200.jpg

What do yall use and recommend?

Last edited:
Btw, there's a new video on leakedreality where a guy accidentally shot himself in the dick. I can't link it because it's graphic. Scary as all hell

Lights make sense for home defense, but I don't see the point with a carry gun. You're not a cop trying to apprehend the criminals. When shots are fired people scatter.

Kydex only. I don’t go cheap on guns and even less so on the holster.

I’ve owned countless holsters. My go-to now is TXC holsters. I’d also consider G-Code.

Lights make sense for home defense, but I don't see the point with a carry gun. You're not a cop trying to apprehend the criminals. When shots are fired people scatter.
Well, being able to see what I'm aiming at if it's dark seems like a benefit worth considering. I live out in the country now but yeah, kind of sucks to add even more size to my gun. Will make concealment even harder

IWB for Glock 19 (I really don't carry it anymore though because I'm lazy) and pocket holster (Desantis Nemesis) for my Keltec 32.

Well, being able to see what I'm aiming at if it's dark seems like a benefit worth considering. I live out in the country now but yeah, kind of sucks to add even more size to my gun. Will make concealment even harder
I used a TLR-6 light on my Glock 43 when I carried it and it was a negligible difference in size with a holster made for that combo.

I used a TLR-6 light on my Glock 43 when I carried it and it was a negligible difference in size with a holster made for that combo.
It's a lot less expensive than the surefire and seems well reviewed. I'll have to look into this more. Thx

I have a TLR-6 on my sig p365 and I’m pretty happy with it

My own thoughts:
1. Kydex over Leather. Leather is more susceptible to deformation, mostly due to moisture.
2. Better to have light and not need it then need it and not have it. The ability to see what you are shooting at is relevant whether you're home or abroad. There are good options available now that address the concern of big ass lights on your EDC. Personally, I have an Olight II PL Mini on my Sig P320C and a kydex holster from Werkz Holsters specific to my firearm and the light.
View media item 34399View media item 344003. Carry Preference: My preference is always for OWB but that's just not always convenient. I have an IWB holster which I wear in appendix position. As with any method/style its all about the practice, practice, practice. One must put in real time with various articles of clothing to become truly comfortable and efficient with drawing from concealment. Dry fire is your friend. One option seeing a lot of discussion lately is bellyband concealment.

I use a 5.11 Kydex holster for my off duty gun. Carry IWB in the 4 o clock position.

When I'm in a suit I carry a retention Safariland holster.

Just bought a DeSantis Slim-Tuk for my M&P 2.0 Compact on a whim. Not bad for $25. Was kind of a PITA to convert to lefty though.

I've seen this discussed a little in a couple threads but feel that it deserves its own.

How do you carry? Open or concealed? Leather or kydex? IWB or another way?

I already have a couple different holsters but am unsure if they're the right type for me.

As y'all probably already know, I recently shot myself. I'm still shaken by the incident and want to ensure that I never have another accidental discharge again.

I have this IWB leather holster which I use in conjunction with this snap on trigger guard.

View attachment 859949

View attachment 859950

View attachment 859951

This holster is alright but I won't use it long term for a couple reasons:
1. I might eventually add a light which this clearly doesn't fit, though I do have a couple reservations about the light which I'll go into in a minute.
2. Once or twice when drawing my weapon, the leather pulled right out of the metal belt clip like this:
View attachment 859954

This is unacceptable so I can no longer use or recommend the holster (made by Relentless Tactical)

Now I could look into a leather holster that fits a light but the other concern that I have with using any leather holster is this pic posted by @RerouteToRemain

View attachment 859957

This terrifies me:

If I mount a light, I won't be able to use my snap on trigger guard anymore which would protect me against this. I know, you're going to say 'just get a kydex holster that fits the light, problem solved' but there's a couple other points that I want to go over.

The other CCW holster that I have is this one and I like it a LOT

View attachment 859959

I love this because I can wear it with anything without worrying about a carry belt, even work out clothes.

But it's only an option with the snap on trigger guard. If I get a light and can't use the trigger guard anymore, this is off the table because I'm not risking shooting my dick off (unless they make a snap on guard that fits over a light which I haven't been able to find).

Ok, so the next option that I don't have but have always wanted: a leather shoulder holster, maybe something like a galco miami classic. Looks comfortable and it'd be nice to have an option that will fit under a jacket in cooler weather if I don't want a lot of crap on my waist.

View attachment 859960

View attachment 859961

I guess the same thing could happen with the accidental trigger press as that picture by reroutetoremain (just noticed that it's actually a galco.. maybe there's a safer, better shoulder holster option than that brand) so I'm not totally sure if I feel safe with this, but it's a great looking holster imo.

Edit: these look really nice. I like that the straps are wider and not as flimsy looking as the galco- https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product-category/concealment-holsters/shoulder-holsters/

Anyway, probably the most sensible option would be to get a nice IWB kydex holster that will fit my glock with a light attached with little risk of an accidental discharge but I still felt like making this thread and having the discussion.

View attachment 859963

What do yall use and recommend?

All my Holsters nowadays are kydex. Back in the 90s I really liked my leather holsters but they've all worn out and these days its quite difficult to find one of the same useful quality as 30 years ago. Which is sad.

That said, how are you practicing your draw these days?

I started working on mine again after a long, (years) layoff and honestly its abysmal. So many little things to tune during the 5 primary steps to executing a good draw.

All my Holsters nowadays are kydex. Back in the 90s I really liked my leather holsters but they've all worn out and these days its quite difficult to find one of the same useful quality as 30 years ago. Which is sad.

That said, how are you practicing your draw these days?

I started working on mine again after a long, (years) layoff and honestly its abysmal. So many little things to tune during the 5 primary steps to executing a good draw.
Repetition is key and I haven't practiced recently. I will start again... this time without live rounds!!

<BC1>

Repetition is key and I haven't practiced recently. I will start again... this time without live rounds!!

<BC1>

<Oku02>

Good luck

111148.jpg

I'm usually rocking a Glock 20 with a surefire X300 on a Blackhawk Omnivore holster. I also have a Sticky brand IWB that is surprisingly awesome for how cheap they are.

Back