Holm will beat Nunes because of her intangibles

I'm basing this off her loss to Cyborg. I had it 3-2 Cyborg pretty clearly. While she did lose, she wasn't outclassed or overwhelmed. Holly showed a chin and that she's capable of going 5 rounds easily. Her footwork and pace are gonna Nunes fits. Holly isn't gonna knock her out but it's not out of the realm she can out point her. Maybe even a late sub from Nunes gassing.

LOL, that was absolute bullshit. Cyborg easily outstruck Holm in every single round (from 2:1 up to 4:1) and landed all the hardest shots. Should have been 50-45.

Last edited:
Amanda has shown that she can be patient when necessary.

Impact makes a difference (also gladly in scoring, nowadays). They'll both land, but Nunes hits too damn hard and accurate for Holly's outside straights to convince the judges. I could see it going the distance as Holly's durable and keeps moving, but it'll be more desperation than control. I think she should rather avoid the power and clinch right away and try to get on top.

If Holly were fighting a person that missed punches, yeah, your analysis would make sense. I genuinely think that she has a chance, of course, she has been a world champion, you don't get to that place by being lucky.

But she's done her best work against people with inaccurate punching ... YES, I'm saying that Cyborg isn't particularly accurate.

I think the accuracy coupled with here improved pacing will see her win. When she lets fly these days, she's hitting the mark far more than she isn't.

I'm taking Nunes to win by KO early in the 3rd

Holly has reach, height, better boxing technique, footwork, and hands. She needs to avoid Amanda's pressure, and make it a long range fight, go for counter jabs, straights and hooks. Use lateral movement to circle out and make Amanda whiff her big shots.

Amanda needs to pressure and dig past Holly's punches.

It's a difficult fight to call, actually. Amanda is favored, but I wouldn't be surprised if the upset happened.

Last edited:
Impact makes a difference (also gladly in scoring, nowadays). They'll both land, but Nunes hits too damn hard and accurate for Holly's outside straights to convince the judges. I could see it going the distance as Holly's durable and keeps moving, but it'll be more desperation than control. I think she should rather avoid the power and clinch right away and try to get on top.

In terms of chin though I think you need to consider Cyborg isn't really the monster in terms of power her hype makes her out to be, almost all of her finishes are the result of overwhelming opponents rather one landing one fight changing punch.

In the joy of seeing Rousey lose as well I think people tend to forget she did actually land quite a few shots on Holly in the 1st. That wasn't like say Crocop/Wand 2 were one fighter just couldn't lay a hand on the other and as we saw Nunes is a much better aggressive boxer than Ronda.

Last edited:
Holly has the skills to survive against her but I am not sure if she has enough in the tank to beat Nunes. Holms bread and butter is by far her headkick. It's her staple finisher. Holly hand's won't be enough to keep Amanda at bay. Her style is too pillow fisted to get Amandas respect.

Can she finish Nunes with a high kick? Sure. Can she beat Nunes in a decision? I am not too confident unless Nunes gasses out.

I came here for the tiny shorts.

Disappointed.

Routing for Holly via ish ish, but predicting an underwhelming but one sided decision for Nunes.

Alexa, show me Holly Holmes tiny shorts box jumps...

I expect Nunes to clearly outclass Holly.
She has good technique, lots of power and good ground game.

Holly was outboxed by Cyborg and Valentina, and while she has good TDD, I can see Nunes taking her down and submitting her.

If nunes forces her to lead hollys dead.

Im gonna bet on Holly because i assume she will be a huge underdog. Stylewise this is a perfect fight for Holm, well maybe not perfect Ronda was her perfect matchup but Nunes too but Nunes also imrpoved a lot especially her cardio. I could see Holly evading and winning on points in her ish ish manner.

She is 37 years old an 2-4 in her last 6. She shouldnt even be getting a shot at Nunes. She has a shot sure, but she didnt earn this.

Odds that Nunes takes her down just for fun?

Yup, stylistically she has a decent chance.

Also I always get this strange feeling that she’s gonna “shock the world” again.

I give Holly a VERY good chance to beat Nunes. It is a very favorable matchup for Holly. She is a volume counter striker who thrives off of other fighters aggression.

She will not stand in the pocket and engage how Cyborg did (if she is wise with he game plan).

Also, her variety of attack (high/low, boxing, kickboxing) will test Nunez's defensive IQ.

Holly is no slouch in the clinch and has excellent TDD.

I would not be surprised by a 3rd/4th round TKO by Holm.
I agree with this. Holm is a good betting dog right now.

If I was a gambling man I would bet on Holly via dec.

cliche to say styles make fights but this time it is true. I have a feeling Holly can pull it off if she can survive the first round and a half and frustrate Nunes. Nunes is a go forward brawler and Holly's style is tailor made to beat that - of course she has to survive the early onslaughts.

would not surprised if Holly woosh woosh's nune's in to frustration and leaving openings that end with Holly getting that sneaky ? mark kick.

Yup. Holly is kryptonite for super aggression. She definitely has a chance in this one.
Nunes is more technical and as aggressive as Cyborg, who handled Holm easily despite what the judges said.

I'd love to see Holly win, but she has little chance in this fight.

Back