Holly Holm opens up about her loss to Valentina Shevchenko.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Jul 25, 2016.

1. KazDibiase

KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

"Coming off a loss, all you want, I think, is just to get back in there, but here we are again. I think that I just need to take whatever opportunity comes. I still feel that way. A lot of people are asking about taking a fight (instead of waiting to rematch Rousey), but I don’t want to be known for one great fight. I don’t want to be known for a few great fights. I want to be known for doing a lot. I don’t want to be content with one performance. I want to do more.”

“I can’t say that I was surprised by anything. I just didn’t perform to the best of my ability and I didn’t leave it all out there, I had more to give for sure. I knew it was a close fight, but I knew I had to do more. I don’t ever want it to be a close fight. I don’t ever want it to be like that.

I’m just angry, that’s all, who wants two losses in a row? But what can you do? … It’s still onward up, it’s still forward."

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=203989

gmr7494, mjbogrand, MMAart and 2 others like this.
  2. CJohnny

CJohnny Black Belt

She just said that she doesn't want to be like Nick, someone who had some exciting fights but never beat a top 15 WW.

Before you say anything, I'm not sure if Lawler was but I doubt.

3. ClosetVitorFan

ClosetVitorFan Silver Belt

Her striking offense needs works. She's a great counter striker. Has great kicks. But her offense just sucks. If she can't launch a good offense she won't be able to get anything going.

One MMA Fan and leatherf4ce like this.
  4. Frank Kain

Frank Kain Blue Belt

Funny how some fighters can't escape a big win; she isn't Serra, more JDS, or maybe Miocic. Time will tell.

5. Daniel4802

Daniel4802 Brown Belt

This was a tough fight for Holm because Shevchenko had the speed advantage and a more diverse skillset. Holm's best gameplan was to use her size and try to bully Shevchenko against the cage and turn it into a grueling, dirty fight. Although she attempted this a few times, it never really worked. So she tried to fight where Shevchenko had the advantage and lost.

6. EGarrett

EGarrett Silver Belt

Talent aside...I hope I can have a piece of Holly's general character and outlook in my own life. Truthfully.

7. Brampton_Boy

Brampton_Boy Douchey Mc Douche

I'll be honest - Apart from the fight with RR, Holm has looked rather pedestrian in her previous Octagon performances.

Split decision win, and a rather uninspired decision win against a mid level fighter.

She looked amazing against Ronda and very good against Tate, but she seems very inconsistent.

leatherf4ce and Wompa1 like this.
  8. TrainInVain

TrainInVain Swangin an Bangin Belt

I like it, whether she wins or loses Holly is all class. Look forward to her next fight.

leto1776, Moezao, gmr7494 and 3 others like this.
  9. Wompa1

Wompa1 Orange Belt

Yeah, that's true. If you think about it, she really only has 1 good performance in all of her octagon appearances. The others were "Highly Questionable". Hell, even Rocky almost got one on her.

10. Ancient Warrior

Ancient Warrior Gold Belt

I felt she also should've went more flat footed, closed the distance and let her hands go more. She hurt Shevenko early and should've went back to it. Maybe she would've caught some leg kicks, but I think she was versed enough in kickboxing to minimize damage.

11. myjohnson9

myjohnson9 GOAT

Nick beat the #1 fighter in the world Gomi, silly newb

12. CJohnny

CJohnny Black Belt

Do you even know what a WW is.

Beating fighters who are not even close to your size doesn't mean shit.

13. Fedorr0cks

Fedorr0cks Orange Belt

14. leatherf4ce

leatherf4ce Brown Belt

Ever since Jones traded in the narcotics for the juice, that gym is falling apart. But seriously, I love how honest and determined she always is. She doesn't make excuses and is always in the gym the next day, working on exactly what went wrong in her last fight. I agree that she needs to work on offensive stand-up. Constantly back-pedaling has always been her downfall. That's why the Ronda fight went so well.

15. MuyThaiElbows

MuyThaiElbows Silver Belt

Holm vs Zingano next.

Coolidge and scorpipede like this.
  16. papajohns

papajohns Purple Belt

Now she's known as having "one great fight".

17. Ianstaine

Ianstaine Purple Belt

I think Holm can still beat anyone in the division on any given night. I think she just needs to calm down a bit, she gave me an adrenaline dump just watching her run and pace around the cage before the fight even started. I think her fame has brought pressure on her to take the fight to opponents and not lay back as much and counterpunch. It's similar to what happened with Chuck imo.

TrainInVain likes this.
  18. myjohnson9

myjohnson9 GOAT

That was prides equivalent to WW. Pride welterweight was 183 pounds. You are hating hard bringing someone up who isn't even in this conversation.

kiley_sean and deviake like this.
  19. platypus44

platypus44 Purple Belt

She has takedown phobia and therefore clinch phobia and that prevents her from being more aggressive. Her coaches were calling for her to launch from closer in and use more combos but that exposes you to clinches. She should compromise by getting more aggressive in the last 2 minutes of each round and realizing that - in a 5 round fight - a takedown is not the end of the world. Valentina wasn't really a submission threat.

20. Squintz

Squintz Red Belt

I'll just settle for a piece of Dat Ass.

Black Paladin likes this.