Holly Holm "I’m a competitor, I’m not a charity case”

That's a difference between a pro and an amateur
Pro human vs amateur human.

She managed to be classy while presenting Ronda in a very negative, and honest, light.

I could write an essay on how much of a fuckup I think Ronda is... not gonna, though.

Yep.

If you are suicidal after a loss, then maybe its time to either pick another way to make a living, or start up a regular protocol of anti-psyche meds. Or a combo thereof.

MMA is not for the weak-minded. It's a rough sport.
If she really thought about killing herself than she shouldn't be worrying about getting back into the cage. She needs to understand that her self worth is not tied to UFC. She needs to focus on fixing her self esteem and mentality.

Parts of the OP reminded me of bullshit journalism, trying to speak for people that it has no business speaking for. Her suicide comments "shook the MMA community"? This is a presumptuous premise. It's somewhat like the media trying to tell us how sad we all were when "Lady Di" died.

She had sad, pathetic thoughts after getting curb stomped. My actual response is:
Who gives a fuck? She was sad, no shit. But because she gets clicks, 200 journalist/bloggers wrote about this so now you can say something like it "shook the MMA community". I'm part of the damn community and you do not speak for me!

For fuck's sake, where are the standards?

Can anyone plese explain to me how this "suicide" stuff is not a marketing move? Everyone is again, talking about her.

Can anyone explain how can a life long athlete, who competed in world tournaments and the olympics, how can an athlete like that be unable to take a loss without having suicidal thoughts?

I don't really see much reason to doubt it. She seems a headcase so it's believeable on that count...
She was clearly emotional talking about it...
She has a family history of suicide...

As for dealing with losing: her olympic judo coach basically said she wsas a bad loser who ran away from the sport after losing, and he'd be surprised if she came back to MMA after this loss.

As for suicide after losing: maybe you should ask guys like CroCop or Arlovski who have said similar stuff, since sherdog's internet'alphas' will respect what those guys have to say and not dismiss it out of hand and laugh at them.

Breaking... Bones' reaction to Holly's reply is in.

DoPv2M7.gif

Can anyone plese explain to me how this "suicide" stuff is not a marketing move? Everyone is again, talking about her.

Can anyone explain how can a life long athlete, who competed in world tournaments and the olympics, how can an athlete like that be unable to take a loss without having suicidal thoughts?
I think when someone actually commits suicide, they are in such a bad place that it is easier to actually endure the pain of killing oneself rather than endure another minute of life. It scares me when I even try to imagine that mindset.

As far as people who 'attempt' it, or even worse, talk about it flippantly (even though they get right indignant if Bethe mentions it) it is simply a plea for sympathy. I need my hand held and someone to listen to how hard it is being me. And she's rich, famous and treats the people she beats like losers.

Usually the cries for sympathy suicide moves are done by teenage girls. In this case it is like the rich, homecoming Queen who treats everyone like shit asking for pity. Go fuck yourself, bitch.

I don't really see much reason to doubt it. She seems a headcase so it's believeable on that count...
She was clearly emotional talking about it...
She has a family history of suicide...

As for dealing with losing: her olympic judo coach basically said she wsas a bad loser who ran away from the sport after losing, and he'd be surprised if she came back to MMA after this loss.

As for suicide after losing: maybe you should ask guys like CroCop or Arlovski who have said similar stuff, since sherdog's internet'alphas' will respect what those guys have to say and not dismiss it out of hand and laugh at them.
Her dad committed suicide, but he was terminally ill and had to live in great pain. Big difference to me. Not to mention he had to live with Ronda and her mom....

Classy lassy. A true champ. Hopefully she holds the belt for a long time.

Let's look at UFC 196. This card has 8 fights. Out of every fight, someone is going to lose, and probably not feel very happy about it. So why the fuck is this such a hot topic?
Those thoughts didn't last more than a few hours if her story is anything to go by. Then she went home with her MAN, and to her millions.

Holm is a great champion, and a thoughtful woman. A wonderful role model for people.

Wish her all the best.

The recent comments by #Ronda Rousey that she felt so bad after suffering a loss to #Holly Holm, she actually thought about ending her life have shaken the MMA community. Fans have been debating the issue on the Internet after the Ellen Degeneres show aired on Tuesday.

Sevaral notable figures in the sport have offered their opinion on the matter but perhaps the best responses so far have came from boxing superstar #Mike Tyson and Holly Holm herself. When Holly was asked about how Ronda’s comments made her feel she stated: “There’s a lot of things around that. When I heard that she said that, for me it’s one of those things it’s like, ‘How do I respond to that?'” Holm told Sherdog. “I don’t want to say I’m sorry because I think on a competitive level for me, if somebody was to say they’re sorry after [beating me], it’s like, ‘No, I’m a competitor.’ I’m not a charity case.”

hollyholm2.jpg

“I feel like that’s something the best thing is for me not to say anything at all. I don’t want to say that I’m glad that she felt that way and I don’t want to say, ‘Oh I’m so sorry.’ It’s something I think that you have to dig through on your own. In the long run, she’ll be stronger mentally from it.”
Holly Holm - 'The first of her name and Queen of all of Sherdog' has spoken. Silencing the white knights, all hail.

Now that is what Ronda didn't have... that was the missing piece that kept Ronda from being a Champion. (Being a Champ is more than just winning fights.)

If suicide guilting is on the table, Holly should refuse the rematch.

My thoughts exactly.

Using suicide as a PR strategy is deplorable. This woman is so morally bankrupt, how anyone could ever view her as a role model is beyond me.

Let's look at UFC 196. This card has 8 fights. Out of every fight, someone is going to lose, and probably not feel very happy about it. So why the fuck is this such a hot topic?
Those thoughts didn't last more than a few hours if her story is anything to go by. Then she went home with her MAN, and to her millions.
It's not. The media is making a big deal.

Ronda is starting to remind me of the Kardashians. The way she craves attention and will do anything to get it.

Class. Well-thought out non-response. Best thing for it.

Last edited:
If suicide guilting is on the table, Holly should refuse the rematch.

Great reply. But, if I was Dana, or Holly. I'd demand a report from a shrink saying Ronda's ok to fight.

Well... Not that she's ok to fight. But, that she won't kill herself, or go postal when she loses. Not just for their own peace of mind. But to protect themselves legally. All kinds of weird lawsuits get filed in the US. Some of the weird ones stick, too.

It's not. The media is making a big deal.
Umm, so Ronda had no part in her crying on a popular show called ELLEN, saying she was thinking about suicide? That's the perfect platform for her 'act' to get even MORE mainstream press. Believe me, she knew she was going to cry and say she thought about killing herself.

That's like drinking a 24, doing a line of coke, killing a prostitute, shove her in the trunk with a leg dangling out, driving into a police station and saying "I'm in jail because there were cops in the building".

Ronda was feeding the media.

Back