Holly Holm broke Ronda possibly beyond repair

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Snolla, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Snolla

Snolla Yellow Card Yellow Card

Dancing with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight
    I had high hopes that Ronda would at least look good win or lose. I was rooting for her to win even though (like everyone) I was dying to see her fall from grace before the Holm KO. Before the Holm fight she had never even truly been rocked before. She is 100% gun shy and I believe her striking issue isn't necessarily her technique but a complete mental block. A nasty KO can/will change a person. Some change for the better and grow from it while others crash and burn.

Yes, she is not the best striker in the world but before the Holm KO she at least showed decent fundamentals and could stay out of harms way until she got her game going. I don't even think it was the head kick, it was the first straight punch Holly landed and Ronda's career has been downhill from there. She needs a sports psychologist and she also needs to change camps. Edmund is not a professional trainer when compared to Duane Ludwig, Firas Zahabi etc... (not even close).

Holm broke her when she showed Ronda what a true striker can do to off that first straight she landed. I'm not sure if Ronda can come back after the public humiliation on top of her fear of getting hit. I hope she can make a comeback after reassessment and only if she ditches that goof coach of hers.

Holly/Nunes Bless. They showed Ronda a HUGE flaw in her game and I think Rousey can still come back but it will be a long road. If she does come back they certainly need to match her with a lower ranked fighter to get her confidence back.

This is the moment Rousey started re-thinking her life.
    [​IMG]

Megaton Punch likes this.
  2. SherdogJoe

SherdogJoe Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think Ronda was already broken. Holm just exposed it.

3. dfoster

dfoster Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

it messed with her head for sure, much like Lesnar after Cain

4. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

She Broke herself.

5. Fergelmince

Fergelmince Brown Belt

and I will love her forever because of that. Thank you HOLLY HOLM!

6. Snolla

When did she show any signs of slowing down before the Holm fight?

felmmando likes this.
  7. Z28MARO

Z28MARO Wood Belt

Edmond broke her beyond repair. Had she went to a legit camp she may have been a completely different beast. Saying she was dropping pro boxers with body shots and all.

8. Megaton Punch

Megaton Punch Orange Belt

It happened before with Royce Gracie, you always get that guy or gal who is ahead of his/her time in the game. Gracie was with his BJJ, Ronda with her judo. But sooner or later your opponents gets better and outclass you. Problem is tons of people (Ronda first) thought it would last forever

9. MMA4Life

MMA4Life Brown Belt

Some would say she was showing some nerves in the lead up to Holly and she didn't look in the best shape for that fight. I'm not going to kick a dead horse though. Nunes is only getting better people have to give her some credit. Ronda had no time to think the first punch rattled her.

10. ICEibuPROfen

ICEibuPROfen Banned Banned

Holly took her soul

11. felmmando

felmmando Black Belt

Someone better always comes along, sooner or later. We've seen that before with dominant champs like Penn and Silva. However, Rousey has been stunningly feckless in her losses. Especially after seeing what Holm did after winning the belt, one suspects Rousey's downfall was more the result of her own decline than the of the competition rising to her level.

12. Snolla

That is actually a really good point

13. shococham

shococham Purple Belt

Ronda is the AOL of the UFC. AOL didn't want to adapt to anything but dial up and Ronda only wanted to fight one way via Judo. Hence they are both were they are today.

14. Nukes

Nukes Reality Check

Alright, sorry for the long post guys.

Let's be honest here. After KOing Bethe and appearing in that boxing magazine Ronda actually believed that she turned into this "godlike boxer" (how the fuck does something like that happen I have no idea, her technique has always been dreadful, 0 head movement and her footwork is atrocious. I guess it requires a lot of ass licking from yes men, like Edmond and others). Then tried to box with Holly, but got hurt very fast and when she tried clinching it didn't work and she got rekt. Look at her fights before, she never really tried to strike until Bethe and that's because Bethe rustled her jimmies.

In the Amanda fight she goes out and just... I can't even say she even tried to strike because she just moved forward and ate punches, I think she threw two "punches" that never landed and that's it. She didn't even cover up, she didn't raise her hands, nothing. Amanda probably hurt her in the first punch she threw. Meaning Rousey has a glass chin, it's all good until a decent striker touches her, then her gameplan is out of the window and she panics.

What I'm trying to say is, if she didn't live in Edmondland, opened her eyes and trained in another gym, she could've probably done a lot better vs Holm and Nunes, but she didn't change one thing. For both fights she still believed she was a good striker. If you want to find someone to blame, it's Rousey, because literally everyone (including her mom) called out Edmond on his bullshit. She chose to stick with him, and well now she received TWO of the most embarassing defeats in the history of the sport.

TL;DR KOing Bethe, being coached by Edmond and the absurd hype by the media praising her boxing (why), Rousey being super naive, all of these things ended up being her downfall.

Snolla likes this.
  15. Megaton Punch

Megaton Punch Orange Belt

Off course, I agree with that. But I do think it takes someone years of training to become a good well-rounded fighter. Before WMMA got into UFC not many girls had decent training and coaches. Most of them were clueless about range, boxing, TDD and sub defense. Now that their game have improved they have the tools to counter Ronda's one trick, and since Ronda never improved her own game thanks to Edmond, it's becoming easier and easier to wreck her. If Ronda wants to compete again, which is doubtful, she'll need to find herself a decent house and improve like every other girls did

16. Snolla

I think you and I agree that much of this is her delusional coaches inability/inexperience mixed with Ronda's naivety

17. KOfinger

KOfinger Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

LOL sherdog, the place that people only lose because it's a mental thing, not because they are not that good. Ronda lost because she has no idea how to throw properly a punch or how to defend against one. Also can't use double legs or single legs takedowns ....

18. Snolla

A lot of people on this site have fight experience (including me) and know that the mental game is a large part of it. Have you ever trained/fought in any kind of full contact sport? Based on your ignorance here I'd say no. Also if you actually read my post and some of the intelligent posters here you would see us discussing her training camp and her striking fundamentals.

... and yes I am now "triggered" by your statement.

19. Jesse Pinkman

Jesse Pinkman Life's a risk, carnal Platinum Member

Holly didn't do shit. Ronda believed in her own shit too much

20. Snolla

<{fry}>