"Holloway was just a child when he fought -" meme can die

I still favour Conor over both and I'm the furthest thing from a fan. There's a chance Max takes him into deep waters and finishes him late, but I just can't see Max eating Conor's shots for 2 rounds and surviving. Dustin simply doesn't have the chin to trade with Conor. He's not glass jawed by any means but he gets hurt pretty much every fight he's in, and Conor for all his faults, still has great killer instinct.

With that said, both Dustin and Max have improved A LOT since their first fights with Conor. I just think he provides a bad match up for both guys.

Max broke his foot 12 seconds into the first Conor fight.

Nobody with any credibility thinks a second fight would look the same.

... I just can't see Max eating Conor's shots for 2 rounds and surviving ...

Then you haven't seen their first fight, in which Conor couldn't even rock a Max who was on one foot.

<BC1>

Finally, look. Everyone improves, not just one person.

Hopefully we stop finally seeing this excuse. We know if Conor was in there and in shape he would piece him up, just like he would piece up Dustin.

Rematches should almost never favor the loser, unless it's a huge fluke.

Thanks. Done.

Regards,

UFCBlackbelt

Unless you buy some grade A medieval armor

Max was starting to take over in the 3rd round and someone like Conor, who doesn't have good cardio like Dustin, is going to get drowned by Max's volume. When Conor is tired, he isn't going to Max like Dustin did.
He already beat both very easily.
Conor is out of him prime though, I will give you that.

Hopefully we stop finally seeing this excuse. We know if Conor was in there and in shape he would piece him up, just like he would piece up Dustin.

Thanks. Done.

Regards,

UFCBlackbelt

The younger guy improved much more than the older guy.

Max went from losing in round 1 via submission to losing a 5 round, somewhat back-and-forth slugfest.

Thanks. Done.

Regards,

UFCBlackbelt
Even if your point is sound, your "logic" is flawed. At UFC 143 Max Holloway tapped to a Dustin Poirier armbar 3 minutes and 23 seconds into the first round. A five round decision is only an improved result for one fighter, and it's not Dustin Poirier.

Yes he beat a very green short noticed and injured Max in 3 rounds and not a LW Poirier.
Pretty sure Conor had 1 fight in the UFC when he fought Max, so he was way greener. It was not short notice and Conor was the one injured.
And Dustin is a beast at any wieght.

Conor is out of him prime though, I will give you that.

There's pretty much no way of knowing. He lost vs Khabib - but that - even haters must admit - doesn't really in itself point to being out of his prime. The fight before that he demolished Alvarez, and prior to that he won a gritty rematch vs Nate. The Floyd fight obviously doesn't count.

Conor being "out of his prime" is solely based on the things happening outside of the cage - and honestly, that's just pure speculation whether or not it affects Conor the fighter.

Cringe. Oh that is some pathetic shit.

Pretty sure Conor had 1 fight in the UFC when he fought Max, so he was way greener. It was not short notice and Conor was the one injured.
And Dustin is a beast at any wieght.
Conor was way greener because Max had a few more UFC fights than Conor? Conor was 13-2 compared to Max 7-2 with championship level experience in a relatively big European org while Max was brought into the UFC too early because he was a replacement for someone against Poirier. Max was the youngest UFC fighter at that time and if you think Conor "was way greener" than you are biased. And yes he replaced Andy Ogle to fight Conor and was injured earlier into the fight. Conor was injured during the fight. Dustin is more of a beast at LW and went further than he ever did at LW than FW. He even said the weight cut drained him. So you're wrong on all points.

Last edited:
There's pretty much no way of knowing. He lost vs Khabib - but that - even haters must admit - doesn't really in itself point to being out of his prime. The fight before that he demolished Alvarez, and prior to that he won a gritty rematch vs Nate. The Floyd fight obviously doesn't count.

Conor being "out of his prime" is solely based on the things happening outside of the cage - and honestly, that's just pure speculation whether or not it affects Conor the fighter.
I like Conor, but I have noticed a lack of stamina and a reluctance to attack in his recent fights.
He used to attack non stop with punches, elbows, crazy kicks, and takedowns. It could be because of the move up in wieght though.

I don't pay attention to gossip that goes on outside the ring, but I do hear he can't put in road work any more because of his knees, and I believe it.

I still favour Conor over both and I'm the furthest thing from a fan. There's a chance Max takes him into deep waters and finishes him late, but I just can't see Max eating Conor's shots for 2 rounds and surviving. Dustin simply doesn't have the chin to trade with Conor. He's not glass jawed by any means but he gets hurt pretty much every fight he's in, and Conor for all his faults, still has great killer instinct.

With that said, both Dustin and Max have improved A LOT since their first fights with Conor. I just think he provides a bad match up for both guys.

I guess you've never watched them fight.

I love how Conor is just the baseline at all times, at every moment of his career, while everyone he's beat "will surpass him" and anyone he hasn't faced "has surpassed him". From his first pro fight to his last pro fight, he has always faced his opponents at "the weakest point of their career", of course! What a lucky guy - oh wait, he probably cherry picked them on purpose!!! (lmao)
And, he certainly never "improved" in his UFC career of course - nope, he's Mr Baseline, and it's only a matter of time before the MMA world passes him up...

(just don't tell anyone that, in his last two fights, he's the ONLY fighter to win a round against, who may very likely be the LW GOAT, Khabib, and made the previous LW champ, Alvarez who had prior utterly destroyed RDA, look like a complete amateur before finishing him off with strikes)

He would too, come on now!
200.gif

Conor was way greener because Max had a few more UFC fights than Conor? Conor was 13-2 compared to Max 7-2 with championship level experience in a relatively big European org while Max was brought into the UFC too early because he was a replacement for someone against Poirier. Max was the youngest UFC fighter at that time and if you think Conor "was way greener" than you are biased. And yes he replaced Andy Ogle to fight Conor and was injured coming into the fight. Conor was injured during the fight. Dustin is more of a beast at LW and went further than he ever did at LW than FW. He even said the weight cut drained him. So you're wrong on all points.
How many ufc fights did max have when he fought Conor?
I'll wait Elizabeth, take your time.

Just watching the main event now, Dustin won the first round. You can say he stole the second round, but I don't see how you don't give Max rounds 3 & 4. I have Max up 3-1 right now after 4, but I can see 2-2. What I can't see is how you have it 3-1 Poirer after 4.

How many ufc fights did max have when he fought Conor?
I'll wait Elizabeth, take your time.
So with your logic 16-0 Khabib coming into the UFC is greener than 7-1-2 Kamal because Kamal had more UFC fights. See how dumb your logic is? Or Israel who was undefeated and a champion outside of the UFC fighting Wilkinson who had UFC experience and you would think Israel is way greener? And kudos for ignoring the rest of my post where you were clearly wrong.

The 5th was close, but Poirier might have just edged it. I can see anywhere from a draw to a 1 point win for either fighter. 49-46 x3 all for Poirier is bullshit.

Back