Holloway suggests judges scores be revealed after each round

You think they're getting paid? Aw man I don't think I'd be able to watch mma any more if that was true.
I would say most judges are legit and reasonably good at their job. The problem is it only takes a few to cast doubt on the rest. Specially when theres much more money involved.

I would say most judges are legit and reasonably good at their job. The problem is it only takes a few to cast doubt on the rest. Specially when theres much more money involved.
I think the commission should be more accountable and moreover hold the judges themselves accountable in situations like this. They're messing with people's lives with this incompetence. In any other state, we could've had a draw or a new champion.

The problem with that is that it has a significant probability of affecting how fights play out. If for example the fighters know one fighter is up 3 rounds in a 5 round fight, the fighter that is up 3 rounds can simply spend the last two rounds running to avoid a knockout.

It could lead to a lot of shitty fights, where fighters just go into pure defensive mode to maintain a lead.

If their is uncertainty till the end, it forces both fighters to give maximum effort in the end.

I think there should be a judge review system. If the scorecards are waaay off what everyone else is seeing, Judges should be put on suspension or probation. If it keeps hapening again, then they lose the right to be judges. I feel like you will get far better scorecards when Judges know poor scoring can get them suspended or fired.

I think it might have advantages and disadvantages, but at this point I’m willing to give anything a try. Fighters already coast and run to decisions now, it’s not like that doesn’t happen. Plus, we already have rules to prevent stalling and running away.

When it comes to the “suspense” of the fight, If the fight is 2-2 going into the 5th or it’s 1-1 going to the 3rd, you still wouldn’t find out the score for the last round until Bruce Buffer said it, so you would still have it.

I think it’s not a bad idea. Also, we need more judges (at least 5) and judges need to be screened and actually have some sort of mma background. Also, some of the jidges should be ringside, and some should be watching the tv feed (without the commentary).

AI to the rescue, the singularity on its way. Though AI might also support CTE or other reasons to reduce MMA .

I'm convinced some of these motherfuckers don't even score it round by round. They just sit there and then score all the rounds retroactively, going on memory and personal biases. There's no way Joe Solis scored that fight round by round. He probably wasn't paying attention and just arbitrarily scored the rounds after the 5th.
^ This

There is absolutely no proof the judges scored nay of the fights last night round by round as they happened.

But it could lead to fighters ahead on the cards to go into bicycle mode if they see that they’re opponents can only win via stoppage.
^This is the proper Devil's Advocate argument.

But I am not sure it holds up in any meaningful way.

Currently some fighters DO attempt to coast if they THINK they are up on the cards, so that number MIGHT increase to add others if they KNOW they are up.

But on the other side many fighters who may have been inclined to coast based on their guess they are up, will now see the cards and how close things are and will have to go for it.

So while there may be some gains in the first camp, there will be losses in the latter. It might basically balance out.

i do think overall it would make for much more aggressive and reckless fights in the latter rounds as more fights are closer than the fighters seem to think.

But i think the biggest challenge would be the fans of MMA. Moreso than in boxing where each round is not so important as they have so many more rounds, I think you might see a very visceral reaction to what fans assume is a 'robbery' scored round. And as MMA is still a young sport you can see many fans have no clue how to score rounds or what the scoring rules are. They still think it is about damage first, or who does better in the rounds they win versus how many rounds they win.

I am not even sure the Reyes/Jones fights can finish without fans throwing things into the cage or at the judges due to them not understanding the scoring rules and why it is not a robbery to give Jones Rd 2 and thus the win, even if I think Reyes could have been given that round. And if you look at a fight like GSP/Hendricks, forget it. If the fans see GSP and Hendricks as even going into the 5th they would be losing their shit, but they would still have hope Johnny would KO him and right that wrong. But as soon as they saw GSP was winning the 5th, and thus would take the fight, it would be a riot, again by fans that do not understand scoring.

It would take away the suspense at the end of a fight, but other than that I don't see any reason not to show the scores after each round. Some fighting org. actually tried this way of judging, but don't remember who.:confused:

I agree, but the public shouldn’t see the scores until the fight is over. They should be entered in a device with a time stamp proving the score and the time it was entered.

I'm convinced some of these motherfuckers don't even score it round by round. They just sit there and then score all the rounds retroactively, going on memory and personal biases. There's no way Joe Solis scored that fight round by round. He probably wasn't paying attention and just arbitrarily scored the rounds after the 5th.

?

People realize that the judges' cards are collected at the end of each round, right?

I agree, but the public shouldn’t see the scores until the fight is over. They should be entered in a device with a time stamp proving the score and the time it was entered.
I think they do that now. Hence why one of the first fights yesterday was delayed for so long to declare a winner - the system crashed.

This. Scores for each round shpuld be entered and stored, and compiled at the end of a fight.

I'd like to see it tried out and see how it goes. My worry is that if a fighting is 2-0 up, he might just coast and avoid the fight in round 3. Even if its only shown too the viewers at home, everyone at the event has phones, they can easily tell it in the corner and people can even shout it from the crowd

The 10 point system inherited from boxing with many more rounds , less variation since just strikes with big gloves above waist and not a good fit for only 3 to 5 rounds in MMA. Pride and Rizen scoring allows overall performance. Fighters stalling while ahead should have points removed but can not be so drastic. The 10 point system is poor. Just award points or deduct. A round could be low scoring or high scoring much like other competitions. Anyway since Athletics Commissions in U.S. biased with boxing doubt any meaningful changes. As GSP suggested, his job was to win and he fought to maximize his chances within the prescribed rules. This leads to the less entertaining fighting. Guess it can be viewed as somewhat safer so less damage to fighters.

Back