Holloway Fight: Conor tears ACL and then says "I feel great!"

I don't need to look up something I've experienced.

i've torn my acl twice now.

first time, i screamed because my knee dislocated, i was like in shock and i knew i fucked something up really badly.

second time, no scream, ligament simply tore with no dislocation. didn't even flinch. still knew i fucked something up though.

When people say they felt pain when they tore their ACL, they aren’t making a technical assessment of what caused the pain anatomically. They are just recognizing that pain was felt and they were left with a serious injury. The damage to the ligament and the other stressors felt are intertwined. People say such things colloquially all the time.

You should try and be a little less snide. It's not very becoming.

I went out of my way to acknowledge that many times a knee injury that tears the ACL is also excruciatingly painful due to damage to other parts of the knee, so your statement makes no sense.

Stop making ridiculous comments to try to insult me and I'll stop pointing out how stupid they are

Last edited:
I recently tore my ACL, meniscus and MCL. It was painful but I wasn't in any extreme pain. I got up, hobbled off the field to the sidelines, called a cab and took it to an urgent care center. I was kind of in shock though. It made this gross and loud popping sound and I knew immediately that I had fucked up my knee bad. I think that caused me more anguish than the injury itself.

Post surgery on the other hand was very painful. Thank the lord for vicodin, that shit is incredible.

tearing the ligaments in your knee doesn't really hurt on it's own. They are very poorly innervated, if someone hurts their knee and screams in pain it's because they also hurt something else. If you only hurt the ligament you just feel instability.

I'm pretty sure you don't know what semantics mean. Sometimes you tear your ACL and it doesn't hurt at all some times you tear your ACL and are in excruciating pain. It'd be semantics if everytime you tear your ACL you have to be in excruciating pain and I was arguing about the cause; but that is very far from the case.

The correct word for your argument is pedantic, not semantics.

I've torn several ligaments in my knee on multiple occasions thanks to destroying it in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. I've had my ACL done three times, and it's detached within a year of every surgery. My knee is the definition of "unstable". I know as soon as it goes. I feel it. Usually it's simply a sudden tweak and my body automatically tells me that something bad just happened... again. I feel a moderate burning and what I can only describe as pressure in the joint.

It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't leave me rolling on the turf like a gruesome football injury, or anything. The first time it happened at home I think I felt a lot more pain, but looking back I'm sure it was just shock knowing that I just did something really bad... again. Now, I call my doctor, I lay in the tube for half an hour while they image it, wear an immobilizer while waiting for surgery, and then rehab it post-surgery. If I'm gentle with my leg I usually don't even need pain medicine beyond the Neurontin I already take. Between the adrenaline of the combat and the fact he has no doubt experienced his share of painful injuries before, I can believe Conor consciously and calmly dealt with it on the fly like that. Keep in mind that many people who get hurt like that outside of sports have never experienced such an injury before, so their perception and pain threshold for it may be significantly lower based on sheer shock and the mental expectation that it is just "supposed" to hurt.

Now, soft tissue and bone damage... that's an entirely different story.

I went out of my way to acknowledge that many times a knee injury that tears the ACL is also excruciatingly painful due to damage to other parts of the knee, so your statement makes no sense.

Stop making ridiculous comments to try to insult me and I'll stop pointing out how stupid they are

lolz, unintentional hilarity.

b8267f57c91a9927fc6ef7235dad2d33_original.jpg

A thread on knees.....

The correct word for your argument is pedantic, not semantics.

no it's not pedantic because I'm acknowledging the difference between knee injuries that people may experience. You can't use pain as an accurate judge of the actual damage in knee injuries which was my point. A minor knee injury may be excruciating and cause anyone to quit but then be fine in a short time; while a major injury like a ligament tear may go completely unnoticed during competition.

Back