holes in your game preventing you from advancing

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Whats up my dudes, I've been having trouble with standing passers (in no gi) for quite a while now and can't seem to figure it out.

In gi, I will go for spider guard or grab lapels and start working.

In no gi, I naturally resort to rdlr. I go for a tripod sweep, if that's not available, I will go for kotd if it's there, if they crouch, I switch to my knee shield half guard game. I guess my biggest issue is when the passer is going for an aggressive knee slice. I can stall them out with my rdlr hook and my arm underneath my thigh, grabbing onto their ankle. But slowly, they will start to cross face me and flatten me out. Or, they will knee slice so quickly that it ends up being a scramble. Any suggestions of what to do? And, what holes are you guys trying to figure out right now?

I suggest switching to single leg takediwn once they insist on smashing thought the rdlr.

Have you tried circling your non-hooking leg around and kicking off their chest to reset to open guard?

I suck at everything you've mentioned, and for the vast majority of techniques I am much better on one side than the other.

Although to specifically answer your question, have you experimented with playing shin to shin against standing passers?

rdlr is all about off balancing. you cant let guys settle. if the hook is strong he cant knee slice so if he is forcing it, its time to push into him and then suck him in to off balance.

once you feel him getting low to really pressure the knee slice hard but you have the hook is the time to push/pull him off balance. its a timing issue more than a technique issue.

If you're already used to doing rdlr things, i'd consider just spinning between/under their legs from sit-up guard deep half style to come up on a takedown from behind (aka, what Werdum and Nogueira do).

Last edited:
When playing rdlr I love to use the free leg on *bottom* of the hook leg to support it. You need a solid hook for the position to work really well

rdlr is all about off balancing. you cant let guys settle. if the hook is strong he cant knee slice so if he is forcing it, its time to push into him and then suck him in to off balance.

once you feel him getting low to really pressure the knee slice hard but you have the hook is the time to push/pull him off balance. its a timing issue more than a technique issue.

Yes, it makes sense that it's more of a timing issue. A lot of what I'm going for is dependent on the passers foot position, and I do feel like I'm a step behind.

Have you tried circling your non-hooking leg around and kicking off their chest to reset to open guard?

I'll do that if I can, but a lot of times if they go for the knee slice, I'm too much on my side, and my rdlr hook is too weak and they have that free leg blocked.

Been playing with x guard recently. It's dramatically improved my ability and confidence in both DLR and RDLR.

Takedowns will need to be my next big project though. I'm getting near the end of my purple belt and I don't want to be a brown belt who's only real option is to get taken down or pull guard.

I'll do that if I can, but a lot of times if they go for the knee slice, I'm too much on my side, and my rdlr hook is too weak and they have that free leg blocked.
Honestly a strong RDLR hook will kill the knee slice in its tracks. By it's structural mechanics it will turn the knee outward when pressure is applied through the hook. Support with your outside leg and bottom arm if needed, like your partner is an aggressive knee slice passer and outweighs you. If you're just settling in the hook and not actively engaging it, of course it will get crushed.

Firstly, I try to maintain a shin shield to avoid letting a passer get into a deep knee slice. But if I lose that shin shield, I'm coming up on the single right away. You can't really wait on it. In general wrestling is a very important skill to have against standing passers in no-gi.

certain positions in jiu jitsu u can get away with not being good at at all like back and mount u dont have to actually go there as long as you take side but u have to have good guard passing and great basethats why early on i have my students doing tons of base drills with guys pulling them around with there lapel and sleeve while maintaining good posture and base

then tons of hp movement drills developing good hips early on really helps too

I'm not super flexible, but I find that even from that position I can generally kick my free leg outside then come circle it in front of their face and use that to give me space to re-guard.

I do RDLR a bit different than others, but perhaps this will help if you play RDLR differently. I usually hold their leg with the opposite hand, so my hand position is that same as a normal DLR guard. When someone goes for the knee slide I try to position my hook as close as I can to the crook of their knee. The next thing I do is I have to get perpendicular to their body, this is what kills the knee slide. From their I do a modified waiter sweep. The most important thing is positioning of the opponents knee. If they are slicing to your right with their right knee you need to point their knee off center to the opposite side. You need their knee pointing to your left side and the greater the angle the stronger your position will be. Although it is possible to use your legs strength to push their knee out I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. A better way is just moving your body toward your right and trying to grab his left leg with your right hand. When you do this it should look like deep halfguard with your left hand holding his right foot and your right hand and holding his left leg. From here sweeping is simple. Also, don't lay on your right side in this position because it will kill the power of your RDLR hook. Lay flat on back to get more mobility with your right leg. I hope that helps.

I do RDLR a bit different than others, but perhaps this will help if you play RDLR differently. I usually hold their leg with the opposite hand, so my hand position is that same as a normal DLR guard. When someone goes for the knee slide I try to position my hook as close as I can to the crook of their knee. The next thing I do is I have to get perpendicular to their body, this is what kills the knee slide. From their I do a modified waiter sweep. The most important thing is positioning of the opponents knee. If they are slicing to your right with their right knee you need to point their knee off center to the opposite side. You need their knee pointing to your left side and the greater the angle the stronger your position will be. Although it is possible to use your legs strength to push their knee out I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. A better way is just moving your body toward your right and trying to grab his left leg with your right hand. When you do this it should look like deep halfguard with your left hand holding his right foot and your right hand and holding his left leg. From here sweeping is simple. Also, don't lay on your right side in this position because it will kill the power of your RDLR hook. Lay flat on back to get more mobility with your right leg. I hope that helps.
Interesting I'll have to try this. Any vids that is this technique?

Play sit up and work to get a single. Get off your back

Back