Holding Thai Pads without them 'twisting in' on me

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Roger z2, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Roger z2

Roger z2 White Belt

Sorry if the title seems misleading; I can't really explain this in Thai boxing terms. I have been through the stickies as well fyi.

So the problem is when I hold thai pads for combination drills ' 1-2-3-4' , etc it is fine because I adjust the pad to make solid contact. However when we do "punch out" drills (rapid series of jabs/straights)the pad keeps twisting towards me.

Usually they are like /o\ , but I am told to put them very close with only a 2-3 inch space between them during the "punch out" to form a shield. Most people however end up punching towards the outside edge of the pad (where the wrist goes) and the pad just turns in towards my face :icon_cry2 . Not only am I worried about losing teeth (no mouthguards in drills usually) it strains my wrist.
    Fairtex Thai Pads [KPLC2] - Front View 2
    Link leads to an example of the kind the club uses.

Any advice would be appreciated, I have class on Weds.

2. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

Hmm, I hold for punch outs the same way I hold for a 1-2. Did they explain why they hold differently for punch outs?

3. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I know what you mean. Last week my lead arm was charlie horsing, so taking my partner's lead hook really tore it up on the thai pad. What I did was just hold it sort of sideways. I can't really describe it without the pad being in my hands other than having the pad rest more in my bicep than have my forearm/eblow absorb the blow.

4. Roger z2

Roger z2 White Belt

@vjvj
    We normally have them outwards like.. [i just googled victory pose, and not as far out as that]
    http://www.mysticbeingyoga.com/images/victory copy.gif
    and move them towards the centre to anticipate the strike; for punch outs we hold them stationary in the middle.

@Law Bob Loblaw
    Do you mean you have the pad supported by your body> upper arm > lower arm> pad? I would do it like that but I think it would comprimise my partners training by having him go for body level jabs by bringing the target down... unless I misunderstand?

5. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

Hawt pic... Just kidding ;) Ok, we actually never hold them in a victory pose like that. As my coach likes to say, "you're not fighting a two-headed monster", we keep them centered for both normal pad work and punch-outs. So I guess I can't help you, lol...

6. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

Same thing at my gym. We basically hold the pads out as close together as possible, and the puncher goes left-to-left and right-to-right, not opposite, which I think may be the cause of the differences with our experiences. I'll admit, though, that it does feel awkward to punch that way if you don't get a wide enough base to sway your hips through each punch.

7. Roger z2

Roger z2 White Belt

Our punches go left to left and vice versa as well... I think I may have made things worse by posting that pic :S.

I found this (not me) when the smaller guy (southpaw) does his last Jab Cross, Cross combo the Asian looking padmans left pad, it twists in about 45-50 degrees on the second cross. It's ok for him in this case because he has it so far away from him but if I have it close for the punch out my pad will move his punch into my face...

[If anyone wonders why I am so concerned; I'm half the weight and 6" shorter than everyone in the class, as well as the fact I want to give decent pad training.]

any other ideas on hand grip on the thai pad?

8. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

By left-to-left, I mean left hand to left hand. If you're doing it this way, the pads turning inward shouldn't be a problem, since that's the angle the punches should be coming in anyways.