Holding mitts

platfox

Silver Belt
Reaction score
It seems like holding mitts is an art form in itself. Any tips on techniques or videos you guys can recommend? Or is it just something you pick up with time.

One of the trainers at my gym charges an arm and a leg for an hour of mitt work. I wanted to start practicing mitts with a couple classmates on our own but we're all fairly new (a year of experience or so).

Thanks

Last edited:
It seems like holding mitts is an art form in itself. Any tips on techniques or videos you guys can recommend? Or is it just something you pick up with time.

One of the trainers at my gym charges an arm and a leg for an hour of mitt work. I wanted to start practicing mitts with a couple classmates on our own but we're all fairly new (a year of experience or so).

Thanks

Here is something. I can't vouch for the quality, because I have not seen it. But for $9.99 what do you have to lose. Just remember, knowledge is power. And, then again, sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous. :icon_lol:

TITLE BOXING DVDS - HOW TO WORK PUNCH MITTS > Instructional > Title MMA

:icon_chee

^^^^^^ That DVD is good.

Mitts work is essential and you can work and learn so much with them.

Do some rounds of mitt work concentrating on offense , then some on counter punching and defense, and some of both offense and defense. Work new combos and counters on the mitts over and over and eventually they will get ingrained into your subconscious and you will be doing them in sparring.

It is a art, and a complicated one, but you can start slow and work up ;)

The thing to remember when holding mitts is you are there to simulate certain aspects of a fight. Simply holding targets in place is not very useful. You want to make the person work footwork, head movement, timing, distancing, etc.

You want to look for holes to exploit in the way they attack and correct them.

In the end your ability to hold pads is very much related to how well you actually understand fighting, and then on top of that how to translate that into pad work.

To start just be aware of the counters too each punch, ex after your opponent hits a straight right you throw a left hook getting them to go under.

*cough* There are torrents available containing those Title boxing instructionals *cough, cough*

Excellent videos, btw.

Most people (in my experience) catch right hand punches with their right hand, and left hands with their left hand.

That method is ok, as long as you don't hold the pads too wide apart causing the boxer to throw his straight punches at angles.

Another method is to catch jabs, straight rights, and both uppercuts with your right hand and just use the left hand for left hooks. Benefit to this is the boxer is throwing all his punches at the same target, and not having to aim at one spot for his jab, then a foot to the left for his cross.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying, it's hard to explain with words.

Back