Hitting rock bottom in the squat

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by En Sabah Nur, May 30, 2014.

1. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Guest

I recently began training based off a linear progression model which has me squatting twice a week. I can go nowhere near parallel - let alone rock bottom. I would imagine the issue lies somewhere in the flexibility realm, coupled with the fact I am 6'6" and have a minor case in scoliosis:

I have been taken under the wing of a local strongman/PL gym and I have been given the following observations:
    - Leaning forward too much to compensate for not hitting depth
    - Inability to sit "back"
    - Feeling like I'm going to tumble backwards
    - Keeping chest up causes major discomfort - especially in lower back

However, I was given a pair of olympic lifting shoes as well as a 2" piece of plywood that some folks use to stand on and could touch my hamstrings to my calves every single time and maintained proper form for the most part - still leaning forward a bit.

Can anyone identify what the program might be for me? Hamstrings? Ankles? Hip flexors?

Thanks for any input

2. magick

magick Green Belt

Goblet squats

3. MeatBarry

MeatBarry Brown Belt

When I was younger and first squated, We judged depth by the safety racks in the gym, so we'd go until we touched the rack, then come up. This was a terrible idea as it made me get into the habit of bending forward to touch the rack as it was easier than squatting deep.

We'd need to see a video of your squat, but basically what I did was I focussed on sitting back. Heres some tips for your points

"Leaning forward too much for compensation"

- First things first, stop worrying about depth. Rome wasn't built in a day, you'll get there. Clear your mind of all previous expectations, failures, success. You're starting anew.

- when you squat, focus on pushing your back into the bar. don't worry about keeping your chest up as it will happen regard, just push that bar into your back.

"Inability to sit back"

- There are many causes for this, but in most cases personally I find it's mental.

- use a box, parallel or below and squat to it (notice I said squat TO the box, not to do a box squat), this was the biggest factor in me learning depth. helped amazingly.

- Keep your body tight. Head forward, glutes flexed, elbows secure, feet even. DO NOT SHOOT YOUR HIPS TOO FAR BACK. I did that and it lead to an extremely posterior chain dominant good morning-esq squat. Shoot your hips back slightly, and drive your knees out.

"feeling like im going to tumble backwards."

- SET UP PROPERLY. The set up is an amazingly important part of the squat. If you're having to go on your tippy toes, lower the bar. When you unrack it, take a DEEP breath in before you unrack, and hold it until you step back. Exhale, then deep breath again for your squat. When you step back, take ONE step back with both feet, nothing is worse than seeing someone try and macarena themselves into squating position.

- Flex your abs and keep them very tight throughout the movement, especially when coming out of the hole.

- DO NOT BREATHE WHILE COMING OUT OF THE HOLE. I personally only breathe once I have come from the whole to back above parallel. Exhaling in the hole will collapse your abs and make you bend over, do not do this.

Well my friend, I hope I helped. I had a very similar issue, and now have a somewhat decent squat in terms of form. Remember to keep at it. Frequency is key, and you WILL be success at it. Good luck!

4. Obscure Terror

Obscure Terror ................................. Platinum Member

Above is good advice.

Goblet squats to a box as the best way to teach the basics in my experience, or you can use a bench, whatever.

Watch Squat RX on Youtube too:

That entire series is money.

One of the absolute best ideas is to post a video here and we'll give you feedback.

5. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Guest

Thanks all

I'm continuing to focus on technique.

One nagging problem I'm having is a pain behind my left knee. Doesn't feel muscle related. Asked a few folks and they ventured to state that it's likely due to the fact I'm locking out my knees hard at the top and it's causing strain on the tendons. Does this sound about right?

6. lpaulgib

lpaulgib Blue Belt

Stop using height as an excuse please.

7. jrams

jrams Black Belt

Can you do a squat without a bar?

8. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

+ One on this.

9. Carl Drogo

Carl Drogo Kane > Henry

you short brah?

10. lpaulgib

lpaulgib Blue Belt

I'm happily 6'5. My proportions haven't affected me like everyone says. If you're tall you just need to shut up and lift.

11. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

inb4 '6"8 Porch_Rabbit rains on your and OPs parade.

12. Rex Luger

Rex Luger The Rex Express Platinum Member

haha, true

13. FlexLuthor

FlexLuthor Blue Belt

Im tall, and super inflexible.

My squat gets better the more I squat and stretch.

Go figure.