hitting a tire with a hammer ?

Richard Emling

Black Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
how big of a tire do you need and do you just use the tire or do you need it on a rim inflated

no, it's gotta be deflated. I used a normal (car) tire originally (couldn't tell you the size but it was smaller than the ones on an SUV). Now I beat on the same tire I used for flipping which is HUGE.

thanks by the way wher did you get a big ass tire?

Tire shop. They have to pay to junk tires, so if you can get past the liability issue you can get one there. Oh, and BTW ross enamait says the when hitting a tire, the bigger the tire the better.

alot of times you can go to an equipment yard and buy a used one for 50 or 60 bucks. Another place is to go to a junkyard and see if they have anything. Also check out a tire shop and just ask if they have any used ones to sell.

Remind them that they have to pay lots of money to dispose of tractor tires and you're willing to take one for free.

I have gotten two from parks and schools, in fact I get alot of used equipments from schools. The other day I got a nice dumbell rack the High school was getting rid of.

Its hard to find parks that still have tire swings and or tire bridges or tunnels. But when they get rid of them, the usually have a nice selection of nice tractor tires. There is a local catholic school that still has old school playgrounds, and they get tires donated to them. So, when they replace them I go volunteer for the weekend and I get to take the biggest tractor tire they are replacing.

Or you could drive like an asshole for a few weeks till you need new tires and just keep the old ones. Just hunt around people need new tires all the time and most dont keep the old ones.

You could also get a tire from your local dump. The dump has a entire section soley for the disposal of tires. you can find extremely large ones for absolutely free.

might have to pay a $1 to get into the dump

our dump is like 30 minutes from my house, and the tires selection is MASSIVE. Seriously a mound of tires 20 feet tall and the length of a football field.

They had 44 inch tractor tires there... and lots of 30-40 mud bogging tires just lying around.

I my self dont have thr oom for a giant tire in my yard... but if you do. go for it.

What kind of muscles does this exercise work? Does anyone have a regimen worked out for this or do you just do it until you can't anymore.

Mine also is a 10lb..and I just do a bunch of sets using both sides until I can't do them anymore. I went out to get a larger hammer, but my local home depot was out of the 16's

best way to tell you what muscles this works is to have you go do it and tell me what hurts the next day. It's great for core conditioning, your back, your hands, your shoulders.

as far as routines, I do what my GPP generator tells me to do. You can download it from my site, and I beleive all of the sledgehammer drills I use are in the weighted GPP generator. Normally you do rounds (3 minutes on, one minute rest) of an activity, though I used to use this in combination with a heart rate monitor to stay in the right zone (80% MHR) for about 20 minutes at a time, I've since lost interest in the latter method. There's also an article of considerable length availble online. just google "sledgehammer gpp" and you'll find a 7 part article on the subject.

Thanks. If you would like to have a domain name Urban, register it ($8 at godaddy.com) and I will host it for you for free.

Is there a replacement for the tire? I live in an apartment, so I can't just go lay a tire in the yard. The sledgehammer part wouldn't be a problem though.

great thread!!! i just started last week, and the next day my shoulders and my core were sore but the good kind of sore. i like it. good cardio too. great for grip too. i work out by stables so i used teh olde tractor tire. i saw video of Fedor doing it, so i tried it. it works.

b0b said:
Is there a replacement for the tire? I live in an apartment, so I can't just go lay a tire in the yard. The sledgehammer part wouldn't be a problem though.
Same here. I owm a condo and will not be getting a house for a year or two.

Back