Hit by a Strange Throw

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Many MMA fighters' knowledge of standing grappling, especially at the amateur level, includes little more than the double, single, high crotch, outside trip, snap down, and MAYBE the ankle pick and head and arm throw, and that's being generous.

Many are not educated in Judo techniques, or even wrestling legal throws like O Goshi or Osoto Gari.

I'm sometimes surprised that this lack of knowledge doesn't lead more severe injuries because the fighter fails to break fall, forces a throw to become uncontrolled without countering it, or is intentionally dumped on his head by a superior grappler.

I've been to a lot of amateur MMA shows and watched a good deal of UFC. While I imagine that people who make it to the UFC have been through the fire and can adapt to almost anything, even at the amateur level I haven't seen much in the way of face plants and knee rends.

What do you think protects competitors?

They're used to falling. No one teaches wrestlers how to fall, but they seem to be okay most of the time. Plus many MMA cages have fairly soft surfaces. And in general, most MMA fighters are tough people in good shape. Falling becomes a much greater risk the more frail you are.

They're used to falling. No one teaches wrestlers how to fall, but they seem to be okay most of the time. Plus many MMA cages have fairly soft surfaces. And in general, most MMA fighters are tough people in good shape. Falling becomes a much greater risk the more frail you are.

Baseballs on soft grass rather than eggs on concrete?

Getting thrown in MMA isn't the end of the fight and accepting that you are being thrown instead of trying to plant your feet and fight it can prevent injuries

Many MMA fighters' knowledge of standing grappling, especially at the amateur level, includes little more than the double, single, high crotch, outside trip, snap down, and MAYBE the ankle pick and head and arm throw, and that's being generous.

Many are not educated in Judo techniques, or even wrestling legal throws like O Goshi or Osoto Gari.

I'm sometimes surprised that this lack of knowledge doesn't lead more severe injuries because the fighter fails to break fall, forces a throw to become uncontrolled without countering it, or is intentionally dumped on his head by a superior grappler.

I've been to a lot of amateur MMA shows and watched a good deal of UFC. While I imagine that people who make it to the UFC have been through the fire and can adapt to almost anything, even at the amateur level I haven't seen much in the way of face plants and knee rends.

What do you think protects competitors?

That's their problem.

Don't want to sound cold, but if a fighter goes in and gets his leg destroyed by heel-hook because he didn't recognize it, thats on him and his training camp. Same with any high amplitude throw.

If its legal and you get injured due to your own ignorance of the technique, thats on you.

For example, I (wrestler/judoka) would never compete in no-gi without at least being able to recognize leg/ankle submissions so I could try and defend them, or at least know when the fuck to tap before its too late.

Baseballs on soft grass rather than eggs on concrete?
yup. Even if you instinctively extend your arm and dont slap the mat, chances are you are not going to break your arm like Shogun.

In fact its probably better to do so in an mma match, simply because it allows you to spring right back to your feet

There have been injuries and knockouts from fighters failing to fall properly. Shogun broke his arm against Coleman and Rick Hawn pretty much finished a fight with seoinage.

For the most part though, I think it's because it's 1) hard to execute a throw perfectly to have greatest impact 2) Judo players have trained to throw safety and have not adapted to hurt someone in MMA (which is good).

The same can be said about their ground grappling as well. How many MMA guys, especially amateurs, know little more than the arm bar, kimura, triangle, guillotine, Americana, ankle lock, and maybe a heel hook?

The same can be said about their ground grappling as well. How many MMA guys, especially amateurs, know little more than the arm bar, kimura, triangle, guillotine, Americana, ankle lock, and maybe a heel hook?

I concur.

I'd never wish injury on anyone (anyone who knows my story knows why) but this isn't golf, and if you successfully execute a perfectly legal technique that the other guy never seen and he gets injured by it....pardon the phrase, but those are the breaks of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back