History repeats itself

DonkeyKong said:
Remember when you were kids and ninja movies were full on and Karate Kid was the cool thing and everybody thought that martial arts were full of secrets and there were clans that demanded loyalty and so on and so forth?
Well. Now we have Brazilian Jiu Jitsu "clans" that demand loyalty, that won

there really needs to be a "street forum" where all you wannabe street fighters can go and blather about how badly you want to learn how to kick ass in "the street".

DonkeyKong said:
DcMcKay BJJ, saying that instead of training in self-defense people should walk around carrying guns or mace is as idiotic as thinking that you shouldn

batman69 said:
there really needs to be a "street forum" where all you wannabe street fighters can go and blather about how badly you want to learn how to kick ass in "the street".
Agreed 100%. Me and you are on a crusade lately man.

People go to college to learn SOME guidelines and information to help them succeed in jobs in life (e.g. medicne) which may cause them significant stability. The learn as much as they can, but certainly cannot learn 100% of what there is to know. Nor can they be 100% guaranteed that what they learned will be effective for every possible work scenario.

So, in an effort to make up for those inevitable inadequacies, some people choose to have books ( and other resources) to complement their learning and thus improve their ability to succeed in such situations.

Seems like a damn good analogy do me.

My contention is that people should train for whatever reason they want.

I never disputed that nor was it the point in question

Some want the competitive sport aspect of BJJ, some want the recreational exercise aspect, and some want the self-defense/street-applicable-only aspect. If they happen to get training that can help them in "real life, on the street", then great. If not, they can still train BJJ, and just carry a weapon to improve their chances of survival on the street.

That is also a fact not being disputed.

That goes for any other martial art. I personally believe that kung fu/tae kwon do/other TMA's are not very street-effective. However, if someone wants to do it, fine. And if they improve their cardio so they can run away from a dangerous street fight faster, fine. Or if they can improve their reaction time to dodge one punch, great. Either way, it has helped them on the "street."

I do believe that the brain is truly the most effective weapon. Unfortunately, most people don't train that aspect of self-defense OR fighting at all.

[/quote]
agreed.

I never said "don't train, just carry a weapon," so please refrain from misquoting me, let alone proceeding to call it idiotic.

You said "why not train for sport and carry a weapon", which is essentially the same.
My point in this thread was noting how amusing the parallel is between BJJ

batman69 said:
for a guy who sports a retarded av you haven

DonkeyKong, I don't think he is talking about you per say. I just think he means we should have a Street Fighting forum for all of those people who want to discuss what is or is not viable for a street fight, etc.

This way we can have all of the "street" discussions in there, and leave these boards to more grappling oriented conversations.

I think he is directing this comment more towards the idiots who come on this board, and say stupid comments such as "Your BJJ will not help you in a street fight", and so on.

triso said:
DonkeyKong, I don't think he is talking about you per say. I just think he means we should have a Street Fighting forum for all of those people who want to discuss what is or is not viable for a street fight, etc.

This way we can have all of the "street" discussions in there, and leave these boards to more grappling oriented conversations.

I think he is directing this comment more towards the idiots who come on this board, and say stupid comments such as "Your BJJ will not help you in a street fight", and so on.

perhaps, triso, but he did post on this thread. that is a pretty good idea, a street thread, i dont know why it isnt done. i also dont know why discussions real life application are mocked so, as if every single person who

DonkeyKong said:
You said "why not train for sport and carry a weapon", which is essentially the same.

No, read my original post you moron.

I said, "Why not just carry a gun/knife/mace/pepper spray for self-defense, and train BJJ for sport AND WHATEVER SELF-DEFENSE ASPECT YOU CAN GET OUT OF IT". Do you understand what that means?

And your "cool" little analogy/signature is still messed up. I never said, "don't go to college, just carry books." Just like I never said, "don't train MA for self-defense, just carry a weapon." Your sig/analogy is based on the notion of picking one or the other.

If you took the time to read my first AND second posts carefully, you'd see that instead of picking one over the other, I contend that it would be MOST effective for self-defense to train BJJ (either for sport, or self-defense, because even if you trained for sport, you'd get SOME benefit on the street) AND carry a weapon.

Much like it would be BEST to go to college AND carry books around.

p.s. Why are you so aggressive and hostile? Should we all just say, "OK, we agree with you?" Will that shut you up?

Back