Hip Throw - Judo

Brian McLaughlin

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
My Judo coach took some time to go over a technique after class - pretty cool, check it out

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25hkBezGfMs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25hkBezGfMs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Koshi-guruma - for those interested in the japanese terminology.

Also quite applicable for no-gi, although I find the underhook version (aka; ogoshi) more suited to myself.

if you're taller, harai goshi works pretty well too.

Also quite applicable for no-gi, although I find the underhook version (aka; ogoshi) more suited to myself.

Beat me to it :-D

I myself am 6' and 165. So the head and arm version is better suited for me since everyone I grapple against tends to be at best 5'8".

Hip throws are awesome, but I've noticed in BJJ, when going against wrestlers and BJJers with a wrestling stance, that hip throws can be some of the hardest to engage.

I'm referring to the ass out defensive posturing that is so common - Foot sweeps and seoi-nage have always felt considerably simlpler to setup.

Older videos, but still some of my favorites.

Last edited:
The above statement was a little too vague, sorry.

Of all the hip techniques, if I minimal time to practice competition techniques, I'd focus on uchi-mata and harai-goshi. Maybe even check some countering techs like utsuri-goshi and ushiro-goshi. I love counters....

Last edited:
Fail!! Howd I screw that up!!!!??? :)

Fixd. Nevermind

If the person is bent over, I normally look to get to the side and reach over the back, or overhook. From there uchi mata works very well for me.

Does anyone have another way?

If the person is bent over, I normally look to get to the side and reach over the back, or overhook. From there uchi mata works very well for me.

Does anyone have another way?

From the reaching over the back position, I like the uchi mata too, but I like the triple threat of uchi mata, sumi gaeshi and tani otoshi.

This video shows over wrapping the arm, but the leg movement and sacrifice positioning is the same if you break his grip and just reach over the back.

As long as you know how to get past the arms, Tsuri Goshi is usually a pretty legitimate option vs. "wrestler stance". 'Course, that wouldn't typically be my first choice, which is Kosoto Gake, and my 2nd choice, which is Sumi Gaeshi. I know a low Tai Otoshi is actually a good option there too, but Tai Otoshi in general is my current project and I haven't quite worked that part yet.

Tsuri Gosh vs deep Jigotai stance by my main man -Tokio Hirano

This version is lower than my Kosoto Gake, but it's wicked awesome

I like Koshi Guruma but hove somehow never, ever found it in Randori. Maybe I'm just not looking for it enough.

One of my favorite throws is Sasae, which works far better in no-gi than you'd think. It's great for dealing with stiff wrestlers.

Koshi guruma is my favorite throw. It's the first ever throw that I could pull off effectively in sparring. Actually I discovered it in wrestling, works like a charm without a gi.

In my case o goshi works not so well. And if I may : I don't think ogoshi is really an underhook version of koshi guruma. Can you even have an underhook on a koshi guruma ??

Back