Hip surgery - any experiences with relatives etc?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by EatMyShorts, Nov 16, 2020.

1. EatMyShorts Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Close relative got surgery on hip, replacement.

Not sure how necessary it was, it was simply irritating my relative for a few months and next thing I hear it was replaced.

Putting faith in the Dr's here.

Recovery time etc, any insights from relatives etc who had it in the past?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. TreueBlutEhre White Belt

My mother has to get a hip replacement every 10 years, it takes time for her to recover afterwards and they give good pills but she isn't a fan of getting doped up but at least for a short while you are going to need them.

Hip replacement recipients generally cannot run but they can still walk regularly.

Best of luck to your relative.

3. ziggs Blue Belt

My uncle has 2 bionic hips...its a fair bit of recovery...i think 6-8months healtime but works pretty well after.
    they glue a ball and socket on the end of a pin into the pelvis then they cut the top of your femur off and drive the pin into the bone.
    2nd one the worst happened and he fell...femur broke right at the end of the pin...the doctors still fixed it

4. EatMyShorts Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

How old?

I thought they lasted longer than 10 years, damn that's short.

5. shunyata Red Belt

Big Nog got a new hip in his 30s, and spoke very highly of the procedure.

He said pre surgery it wasn't just pain, but limited range of motion and strength in the effected hip. Post rehab he said it was a big improvement to his ability to move in jiu jitsu.

6. sweetviolenturg Silver Belt Professional Fighter

My left hip is in pretty bad shape as the articular cartilage is shot & the head of my femur is worn down from all my years of martial arts/kickboxing. But since I'm only in my mid-fifties, my doctors aren't looking to replace it for at least another five or ten years. My right hip isn't in great shape either but it doesn't cause me nearly as much pain as my left one does.

I know the procedure for a hip replacement has improved over the past decade or so as it used to require a month or two in a rehab facility afterward relearning how to walk, etc. but these days the recovery is much quicker according to what I've read.

7. TreueBlutEhre White Belt

She turned 46 last week. They can last longer than 10 years infact the one she has now currently passed that already.

8. Randlewand Brown Belt

It can change people's lives for the better, but like any surgery, there's always a chance for complications. Louie from Westside Barbell has had like every joint in his body replaced multiple times

EatMyShorts likes this.
  9. EatMyShorts Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He had both his hips replaced apparently and fought after also.

10. EatMyShorts Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Person whom I'm referring to that just had it went into atrial fibrillation mid procedure.

So yeah, I guess it comes with risk.

11. shanegotu11 Brown Belt

My dad had hip surgery. Then he slipped and broke his femur. He just went in today to fix the metal ball in hip.

So fun time 4 him

12. Derousey Orange Belt

MIL got it done. Seems like a fairly innocuous procedure. Was on pain killers for a bit but lives life as normal as before.

13. AtomicPanther Brown Belt

My neighbor had a hip replacement, he was walking within a week, and better than before. He's very overweight, one of those people that wobbled when he walked. Now he walks normally.

I need knee replacement, holding off as long as I can. Luckily I have a high pain tolerance, had bad knees since I was a kid.