Hip movement

J

Justin23452

are there any hip exercises that will help you get good at moving your hips, I know my teach show us so shit like moving just your hips while lying on the ground and not your feet, and there any others that can help hip movement

i can't think of any drills but whats been working for me are ass to ankle squats simply because im forced to generate momentum and leverage from a compact position. any stretch that opens up the hip joint is good too

try armbar and triangle drills from the guard with a partner or elbow escape drills on your own pushing yourself from one side of the mats to the other.

Shrimping & I also like using my sofa to roll along my shoulders sideways each way. I don't think this is a specific hip movement but it makes me have an idea bout force I need to push with.

Take one hand and put it in your belt (or behind your head if no gi). Now roll with somebody that you overmatch on skill and/or size...unless you're a masochist. You will either learn to move those hips or have to pay with grinding it out with somebody on top of you.

Put your hands on the floor like you were in a sit up position. Lift one arm off the mat and put your opposite lef through to that side. Pull your leg back to position and now do the other side, lift your arm up and push your opposite leg through to that side. The hand you have on the groun should provide you balance and switching the leg you put through should work your hips.

Also put your knuckles together about shoulder height and jump up, turning your hips so your feet are pointing to the side. Now jump up and point them to the other side. Try stay facing straight on.

Shrimp to turtle position.

One that I learned at a seminar was to lay on the floor with your hands and feet off the ground. Hands could be on the back of your head. Then rotate your body just using your hips. You could do this with a partner where they basically walk and you try to follow them just using your hips.

Try the pendulem drill. You have a partner kneel in front of you and you use just your legs to kind of swing around. It's tough to explain but somebody at the gym should know what I'm talking about.

Lie on your back with your arms down by your sides and fully stretched legs.
Use the muscles in your stomach to lift your legs up towards your head so far that your ass is off the ground employing your arms as stabilizers in the same position still.
Now start to twist your hip from right to left like you

I tried Bas' advice on training for explosive hips. Instead of using a partner I put a 100 lb sandbag on my stomach, lay flat, and bridge up as high as i can for reps. It has helps me a lot.

350 lbs fist said:
Lie on your back with your arms down by your sides and fully stretched legs.
Use the muscles in your stomach to lift your legs up towards your head so far that your ass is off the ground employing your arms as stabilizers in the same position still.
Now start to twist your hip from right to left like you

Big Red said:
I like that, we do the same with triangles.

I'll give this one ago. Sadly, I don't have a sandbag, I suppose I could use free weights in a rucksack.

Def do not use free weights! Imagine the weights falling down on you once you bridge up. I bought a 100 lb bag of sand from Lowes for under 2 bucks and I bought two pillow cases wrapped with Duct tape. Holds together real well. Once you feel that weight and bridge it up, a person will feel light. Even against heavy weights it doesn't feel as heavy.

Why can't we use weights? If the weights are on our stomach and we hold it with our hands, it wouldn't fall on us because it is already on our stomachs. Please explain because it sounds like a great idea.

VTJas81 said:
Def do not use free weights! Imagine the weights falling down on you once you bridge up. I bought a 100 lb bag of sand from Lowes for under 2 bucks and I bought two pillow cases wrapped with Duct tape. Holds together real well. Once you feel that weight and bridge it up, a person will feel light. Even against heavy weights it doesn't feel as heavy.

The way I saw it, though your idea is most probably safer & more economic. Was to get an old rucksack, wear it back to front so that the bag is on your chest filled with weights. The sand would have the weight more evenly distributed so I'll try that. As a matter of fact I could use my punch bag. My bag has crap stuff filled in it that needs revealing, I could use some sand. Thanks for your advice mate.

As for using the free weights though, perhaps using one large plate would work as long as you are careful. As some say, if not all, "it is all in the hips", so it is a bout time I trained them.

Soid said:
Why can't we use weights? If the weights are on our stomach and we hold it with our hands, it wouldn't fall on us because it is already on our stomachs. Please explain because it sounds like a great idea.

Think about it. Your on your back with the weight on your stomach. Your launching the weight up as high as a foot to foot and a half. A lot of times the weight heads over your head and you have to brace it with your forearm so it doesn't land on your head. If you had a plate on you, its going to slam into your arm or head or your chest and it will hurt bad.

So you need to push it up so it can jump off your body??

Back