Hip internal rotation ROM and mobility

Taptap

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While browsing f12 I've stumbled upon a T-nation article on stretching. It had this video embedded.

In the said video gentlemen describes how you can workaround mobility issues while not necessarily engaging directly the area you wanted to improve on. What got me curious was the case he was working on with one of his students - hip internal rotation. I'm an S&C noob and I never thought one can have such a range of motion while rotating the hip inwards.

Hip-Internal-Rotation.jpg

I've done some "test" to find out that my ROM is at 10 percent max and in the same time when I'm warmed up I can place my heel behind my head without much struggle, so the difference in internal and external rotation mobility in my case is huge. The more I looked it up I've started noticing that such disparity may lead to back pain, pain at the side of the knee, patellar tracking problems - which all of them have been bothering me for quite some time now.

I've decided to research a bit and goggled out some random hip internal rotation exercise. How shocked I was when after doing it for some reps my knee and lower back pain were going away. So there we have it. Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to take you through my thought process so that you could eventually point me where I'm at fault.

Finally to the back point. I feel that working on hip internal rotation mobility may be a deciding factor in my health and wellness so I've thought I ask you guys since pretty much everyone here have more idea about S&C then I do. Could you please recommend me some exercises and/or programming to stately improve my hip internal rotation ROM? Unfortunately my research has lead me to some mixed conclusions and I really don't want to fuck it up this time :wink:

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Well, all I can say is I find that very interesting and would like to hear more as well. But unfortunately I dont have the knowledge to contribute anything more interesting^^

two exercises I used when I tried to improve hip mobility was these
All shown by this beautiful looking women

and this

+ this stretch

+ this
piriformis-stretch.jpg

I didn't like that video. Made too much of a fuss over nothing.

That girl had limited hip IR ROM (slightly more some on the left hip) and tight hip flexors, both of which are very common. Apart from these, she looked to perform fine in all the tests she was subjected in. The dude was trying to make it sound like as if a bunch of tiny details have serious implications, which has not been shown to be the case.

OP, in terms of hip IR ROM and knee and lower-back pain, you may need to check your overall posture and motor patterns (whether your knees cave in when you jump, whether your hips are in external rotation when you run in a straight line, whether your feet are pronated, whether your pelvis is tilted, whether you have an improper hip extension activation pattern, whether you have good glute med activation and a proper hip abduction motor pattern, and so on).

Back