Hip Impinginment

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by nrs02004, Jul 28, 2010.

1. nrs02004

nrs02004 Yellow Belt

Hi everyone!

I made a post a while... ago about chronic hip pain and then went on to ignore said pain.

More recently I decided to figure out what was up with my hips. I got some xrays taken and was diagnosed with Cam Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in both hips - basically meaning my femurs are slightly malformed, severely limiting my mobility and potentially causing arthritis later in life (especially if I don't limit certain types of motion). I had an MRI taken yesterday to confirm (they haven't gotten back to me yet, but the doctor was pretty sure from the xray)

There is a surgery that can be performed, but the long term effects of the surgery are unknown and it requires a year of rehab (I also have crohn's disease and would really rather not be sidelined during a year of otherwise good health).

I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this, and if so what they have done about it (surgery or no?)

Also, I talked to a few doctors (one is a doc who works with rehabing athletes here at stanford and has some experience with FAI). He basically said I shouldn't do anything with internal rotation (and external rotation isn't great either). ie. no skipping side to side - no squats, and no more jiujitsu (cleans also tend to give me trouble), but I can deadlift. Given that, I was trying to make a balanced workout schedule (2 day split preferred, possibly 3 day) without any squats (or other hip rotation).

day 1:

Deadlifts
    Overhead press
    Rows
    core circuit
    slight prehab shoulder work

day 2:

Romanian Deadlifts
    Bench
    Pullups
    core circuit
    tricep assist

I was thinking about biking (and doing PT) on my off days. Thoughts plz?

2. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

A guy at my gym had to get the surgeries.

3. nrs02004

nrs02004 Yellow Belt

did he rehab / end up with mobility (and end up back on the mats?)