Hindsight Analysis (Jones/Cormier)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by dmwalking, Jan 5, 2015.

1. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

So I thought it would be fun to re-watch the fight and pick out what was done well, and where mistakes were made.

Round one:

Cormier did a good job of getting inside to land punches. Jones did a good job of countering. He countered with the takedown off the kick. Good counter knee to the body. Cormier was arguably winning that round until he started fighting on the outside during the second half of the round. He did do a good job of landing though. Landed a lot more shots than most men before him. But after a couple minutes, he stopped pressing in and let Jon get his range.

Conclusion: Cormier wasn't able to keep up the pace, it seems.

Round 2.

Jones using his kicks to the body. Cormier trying to kick. Not a great idea in my opinion. First, he's not very good at them, second, he already got taken down off of one. And Jones looks to be able to counter them well. Cormier letting Jones get his back to the cage way too easy as well. Cormier put up no fight. Jones doing a great job of keeping his hips away in the clinch. Also a great job of tying up the hands so he can land elbows and prevent DC from getting proper double underhooks. Every time they tie up, Jones is getting wrist control. Turns out, getting on the inside of Jones presents its own problems as Jones is a STRONG infighter.

Conclusion: Jones is better in the clinch. That says a LOT considering that Cormier was able to bully most guys in the clinch.

Round 3.

More body work from Jones. Good inside leg kicks. Jones is just the more active and more accurate striker at this point. Jones' footwork is just better. Only one eye poke and it doesn't look to be that big of a deal.

Jones shoots for the takedown and Cormier switches it on Jones and goes for his own single. Jones has a good take down defense. And in this round he dominates the clinch again.

DC looks to be fading around the middle of round 3. Cormier struggled to do anything with his double underhooks. He even let Jones neutralize with his overhooks. That's kind of embarrassing. If he had an answer, he was drawing a blank in those moments.

Conclusion: The advantage I see in this round is variety. Jones utilizing a lot of different strikes. Backward elbows. Side kicks to the face. Take down attempts. Head kick attempts. Flying knee attempts. Even a crappy flying triangle attempt. Jones is proving that he's a more well rounded fighter. DC did attempt a takedown, but it was haphazard and poorly timed. Jones is clearly the more well rounded of the two by a long stride.

Round 4.

Cormier still trying to fight from the outside. I don't blame him since he's losing on the inside as well. Jones keeps backing Cormier to the cage for free. Uses the cage to get the first takedown. More wrist control form the clinch. And another free takedown.

Jones literally let him up, too. Insult to injury, imo. I think Jones could've finished from there if he wanted. I think he just wanted to punish Cormier in his world. More clinching. More wrist control. Ends the round by rag dolling Cormier to onto his ass. Cormier is either gassed or emotionally done.

Conclusion: Cormier is mentally tapped at this point. Nothing he's doing is working well enough to get the win. Jones is beating him in every part of the game.

Round 5.

Good takedown attempt from Cormier, but he didn't drive to complete it. He kind of gave up when Jones based. When you're tired you make mistakes. With a takedown like that you have to keep driving, no? But he just gave it up and then let his back get pushed to the cage again. Cormier giving up underhooks too easily. Not striking. A small moment of good wrestling technique from Cormier, but no real effort into completing it. I agree with Rogan that Comier just wanted a takedown for a moral victory.

Conclusion: Cormier fought like an intimidated athlete. He did not fight with the fire of a man who truly hated his opponent. There was no rage. I agree with Jones that Cormier gives up mentally when he can't bully you. Jones on the other hand showed how incredibly well rounded he is. He can beat you on the outside. He can beat you in the clinch. He can take you down. Jones fought like a tried and true champ. Cormier fought like a contender.

Cormier gave a great effort in the beginning. But once he realized that he couldn't intimidate Jones, and his best tools weren't working, he mentally caved. At least that's how I see it.

What details did you guys notice?

2. estranged

estranged Brown Belt

Cormier was not intimidated dude...

3. bigwaverider

bigwaverider ✌️ SHOOP MOD ✌️ Staff Member Senior Moderator

I concur

4. hitmanclark

hitmanclark Orange Belt

I hate to play armchair psychologist, but Cormier sure looked like an emotionally beaten man on his stool between rounds 4 and 5. He looked downright depressed after being taken down repeatedly.

5. xn7

xn7 Red Belt

i had a good prediction before the fight.

jones via physical superiority.

it came true.

6. Leopoldos

Leopoldos Green Belt

The mentally caved argument is retarded. Jones did a great job attacking DCs midsection with kicks, knees and punches. This is what zapped much of DCs energy.

7. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

With the reach difference there was no way Cormier was ever going to beat him on the feet. He either had to take him down and do some effective work from the top, or he would lose. And for the most part he could not take Jones down.

8. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Cormier had real success in the first three rounds which were all primarily striking. The 2nd and 3rd rounds can legitimately be argued for him. Rounds 4 and 5 had very little striking in them for either fighter. I think Cormier did fine in the striking for the most part.

Again, I'll ask TS the same thing that I've asked everyone who claims that Cormier "broke," why didn't Jones dominate a mentally broken man in the 5th round? Historically, Jones dominates everyone in the 5th round and beats them down in that round. Why could he muster just about no meaningful offense if Cormier was "broken"?

9. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

Because he's a good guy that didn't want to rub salt in the wound.

10. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

I agree with the first paragraph. Cormier was doing well with the striking, but he kept backing away and staying in Jones' range. So that allowed Jones to come back and put the striking back in his favor. Once Cormier was in range for his punches, he was winning. Once it got clinched, he was losing. And once it was outside of his range, he was losing the the longer Jones. He had a sweet spot that he kept slipping out of instead of finding his way back in. Damn shame. But it's hard to fight like that against a guy with good footwork. Jones had better footwork than DC for sure.

The mentally broken man is still a mf'ing olympian dude. The only reason I say broken and not gassed is because DC said cardio was not an issue. If it wasn't a physical issue, it was a mental issue. The fact that he wouldn't commit to any take downs until the slam says a lot. The fact that Jones rag dolled him onto his ass says a lot.

Also, How many fights end in the clinch? Jones owned the clinch from beginning to end. Jones wasn't trying to finish. He was just scoring.

11. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

I don't know why but I do know that Jones specifically said he wanted to hold DC against the cage just like he did to his friend Frank Mir.

I do think DC broke in that fight. Being broken doesn't necessarily mean you outright give up sometimes they just switch from trying to win to trying to survive and thats what it looked like for DC. Those TD's in the 5th round like he was trying to prove something instead of just letting go and throwing bombs to try and win the fight.