Hill sprints/repeats question

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing hill sprints/repeats for a few months. I've spent most of this year doing LISS, including running a 10K for charity, and I feel like switching to some HIIT-style training for the winter months.

I have two hills within easy walking distance. Both are roughly the same length - around 250 Metres - and grade. The only difference is that one hill is a street, so I'll be running on asphalt. The other is grass covered.

Is there any advantage to running sprints on grass as opposed to asphalt, or is the effect much the same for both surfaces?

Well you can slip and eat shit on grass, speaking from experience... other than its the same, although i would do it on asphalt. Also doing the full 250m sprinting up a hill would turn into more of a endurance thing instead of an explosive exercise...

Well you can slip and eat shit on grass, speaking from experience... other than its the same, although i would do it on asphalt. Also doing the full 250m sprinting up a hill would turn into more of a endurance thing instead of an explosive exercise...

Yeah, it's probably more accurate to describe them as Hill Repeats rather than Sprints.

Running on grass in a pair of cleats will probably be easier on your joints than asphalt

Uphill you'll get better grip on the road abs the impact won't be a factor

hiit is better on asphalt if you really want to go anaerobic. i would chose grass for the longer distances. stairs are great for sprints. you got some sets of stairs nearby? i do hill repeats/sprints on a bicycle for years now. the gear shift can be a nice intensity tool.

I've been thinking of doing hill sprints/repeats for a few months. I've spent most of this year doing LISS, including running a 10K for charity, and I feel like switching to some HIIT-style training for the winter months.

I have two hills within easy walking distance. Both are roughly the same length - around 250 Metres - and grade. The only difference is that one hill is a street, so I'll be running on asphalt. The other is grass covered.

Is there any advantage to running sprints on grass as opposed to asphalt, or is the effect much the same for both surfaces?

I would do increments
if you have a 250 hill. Start with 25m sprint x10 walk back recovery (WBR), then 50m x 6 WBR, 100m x 4 WBR, 150x2 WBR, 250 x1 you done!

Thatsa lotta sprintsa

Yeah... I think if he can truly do that many sprints in one session, he doesn't actually need to train sprints. He's really really good at them already.

Yeah... I think if he can truly do that many sprints in one session, he doesn't actually need to train sprints. He's really really good at them already.

Agreed. Back when I was doing hill sprints regularly(last year)I think my personal best was 5 x 250. And that wiped me out.

What you think about this training on your hill, im going to do this flat:

Track workouts that increase your anaerobic capacity in the 400m

The 400m is highly anaerobic. If you want to run a faster 400m, you can maximize your anaerobic capabilities by training with track workouts that increase the capacity of your anaerobic energy system. The anaerobic capacity workouts are designed to expand the anaerobic energy system and enable you to build a good foundation for improving your anaerobic power.
Below is a list of a few 400m anaerobic capacity workouts that help with training the Anaerobic Glycolytic energy system. If you are not sure when to do these workouts or if you would like to follow a training schedule, check out my 400m training program.
IMPORTANT: If you are a 400 meter athlete and try to run these 400m workouts at a faster/slower pace, run further/shorter than the prescribed distance, and/or cut the rest short (boredom or rushing), you will change the component of the 400m workouts and no longer be training the correct energy system that your workout was intended to train. Key: ‘ = minutes

1. 100-200-100-200-100-200-100-200-100m @ 80-89% with a recovery of 2-3′

2. 1-2 sets of 100-200-300-200-100m @ 80-89% with rest and recovery at 2-3′/5′

3. 100-200-300-400-500-400-300-200-100m @ 80-87% 3-6′

4. 4-7x 45 second runs @ 80-85% effort with a recovery of 3-5′

3-5' is 3 to 5 minutes rest

And for the grass asphalt: i would do asphalt with shoe nike waffle racer.

Last edited:
What you think about this training on your hill, im going to do this flat:

Track workouts that increase your anaerobic capacity in the 400m

The 400m is highly anaerobic. If you want to run a faster 400m, you can maximize your anaerobic capabilities by training with track workouts that increase the capacity of your anaerobic energy system. The anaerobic capacity workouts are designed to expand the anaerobic energy system and enable you to build a good foundation for improving your anaerobic power.
Below is a list of a few 400m anaerobic capacity workouts that help with training the Anaerobic Glycolytic energy system. If you are not sure when to do these workouts or if you would like to follow a training schedule, check out my 400m training program.
IMPORTANT: If you are a 400 meter athlete and try to run these 400m workouts at a faster/slower pace, run further/shorter than the prescribed distance, and/or cut the rest short (boredom or rushing), you will change the component of the 400m workouts and no longer be training the correct energy system that your workout was intended to train. Key: ‘ = minutes

1. 100-200-100-200-100-200-100-200-100m @ 80-89% with a recovery of 2-3′

2. 1-2 sets of 100-200-300-200-100m @ 80-89% with rest and recovery at 2-3′/5′

3. 100-200-300-400-500-400-300-200-100m @ 80-87% 3-6′

4. 4-7x 45 second runs @ 80-85% effort with a recovery of 3-5′

3-5' is 3 to 5 minutes rest

And for the grass asphalt: i would do asphalt with shoe nike waffle racer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Straight out of 1986.

And if you are doing this guy's workout, you should run track competitively.

Also dont train with weights or you get slow

MealyFoolhardyDorado-size_restricted.gif

^you both.

I would do increments
if you have a 250 hill. Start with 25m sprint x10 walk back recovery (WBR), then 50m x 6 WBR, 100m x 4 WBR, 150x2 WBR, 250 x1 you done!

So essentially only sprinting 1500 meters. AKA murdering him.

I have this hill about 100 yards or so from my house, its a paved county road and it may be around 50 yards or so. The rest of the loop connects back to my yard which I run on grass for most of the jog, other than the jog down to the hill and back into the yard. The way I do it, and if a science genius reads this, I'm hit, but, I sprint really hard on the hill and then slow as a snail around the rest of the loop. I combine sprints and the slow snail pace jogs all in one. When I'm grappling its very rare that I do much "exploding", but when I do, I immediately go back to snail pace. I'm old and I have to conserve my energy.

Just go and run up the hill explosively with good form for 30-40 seconds, jog back down and repeat x 6-15 times depending on your fitness.

Make sure you do a decent warm up run before and some striders and other mobilising bits before you start running up a hill all out.

Just go and run up the hill explosively with good form for 30-40 seconds, jog back down and repeat x 6-15 times depending on your fitness.

Make sure you do a decent warm up run before and some striders and other mobilising bits before you start running up a hill all out.
Nah, I'm going to stick to the way I'm doing it. Amazingly I've done just this thing you speak of but, I like my way much better.

Nah, I'm going to stick to the way I'm doing it. Amazingly I've done just this thing you speak of but, I like my way much better.

Got to enjoy your training! Track session for me tomorrow

Back