HIIT + Fat Loss Training Questions

Leatherjacket

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Since this question applies on two forum-topics at once, i created this thread two times in each forum.

Ok, this will be a honest post, so please go easy on me.

In the last few months, i went up from 89 to 100 kg, which probably is about 195 to 220 pounds.

I also lost a lot of muscle mass and gained a lot of fat, and i was honestly surprised of how fast that happened, i am normally used to being able as much as i want without gaining any more weight. I did not eat a lot different than i usually did, the only thing different was that i had to cancel ONE training on wednesday evening because i had to invest a lot of time into college. If that is the main factor, i would be hugely surprised.

I monitored my eating behavior for about 9 weeks and i think i can say that at least every second thing i eat could be considered "unnecessary", with daily intakes peaking at about 3000-4000 and some days only 1000-2000 calories (those days mixed up quite often.)

So here is my question, or idea.

I would love to get back to my feel good + feel fit weight at about 84 kg ( 185 lbs ).

I thought about doing HIIT - Sprints in the morning, about 3 times a week, to burn fat. I do know that a part of the weight i will lose is muscle mass, too, though.

Then, later on, when i can see that i come closer to my old bodyshape, i would like to go specifically for muscle mass.

What i wanted to know: I want to lose fat in a healthy way. Is this idea the right choice? Do you think i should go for fat loss and building muscle mass simultaneously? Of course, i would change my eating habits along also. Would HIIT have an effect on my appetite?

Is HIIT - Sprinting a good choice here? Should i do it more then 3 times a week?

Thanks in advance :)

How do you figure that HIIT will cost you muscle mass? If anything, it might increase it (not by much though).

Hey guys!

Since this question applies on two forum-topics at once, i created this thread two times in each forum.

Ok, this will be a honest post, so please go easy on me.

In the last few months, i went up from 89 to 100 kg, which probably is about 195 to 220 pounds.

I also lost a lot of muscle mass and gained a lot of fat, and i was honestly surprised of how fast that happened, i am normally used to being able as much as i want without gaining any more weight. I did not eat a lot different than i usually did, the only thing different was that i had to cancel ONE training on wednesday evening because i had to invest a lot of time into college. If that is the main factor, i would be hugely surprised.

I monitored my eating behavior for about 9 weeks and i think i can say that at least every second thing i eat could be considered "unnecessary", with daily intakes peaking at about 3000-4000 and some days only 1000-2000 calories (those days mixed up quite often.)

So here is my question, or idea.

I would love to get back to my feel good + feel fit weight at about 84 kg ( 185 lbs ).

I thought about doing HIIT - Sprints in the morning, about 3 times a week, to burn fat. I do know that a part of the weight i will lose is muscle mass, too, though.

Then, later on, when i can see that i come closer to my old bodyshape, i would like to go specifically for muscle mass.

What i wanted to know: I want to lose fat in a healthy way. Is this idea the right choice? Do you think i should go for fat loss and building muscle mass simultaneously? Of course, i would change my eating habits along also. Would HIIT have an effect on my appetite?

Is HIIT - Sprinting a good choice here? Should i do it more then 3 times a week?

Thanks in advance :)

This doesn't make sense at all... first of all, how do you gain 11 kg in a few months?? And how do you lose muscle mass while gaining weight...are you sick or injured or something??

HIIT is probably the best (semi) cardio/fat-burning activity you can engage in, with regard to muscle retention/gain and fat loss. One only needs to look at an olympic sprinter to verify this. Try to work up to 1 minute at close to 100%, than 1-1 1/2 minutes at a slow jog.

This doesn't make sense at all... first of all, how do you gain 11 kg in a few months?? And how do you lose muscle mass while gaining weight...are you sick or injured or something??

I was over a period of 5 1/2 months, actually. I ate slightly more junk food and didn't do sports for that time, too. I gained a flabby belly, butt and thighs, and slimmer arms + calves.

HIIT is probably the best (semi) cardio/fat-burning activity you can engage in, with regard to muscle retention/gain and fat loss. One only needs to look at an olympic sprinter to verify this. Try to work up to 1 minute at close to 100%, than 1-1 1/2 minutes at a slow jog.

Thank you for your reply, i had a similar work-up-routine in mind. What do you think about: i planned on slowly working my way up from 30 sec. Sprint / 30 sec. Rest to later, after 6-8 weeks going to 20 sec. / 10 sec. for about 4 minutes?

Try some timed circuits or some density training some of what Alwyn Cosgrove does for
fat loss the fat will fall off you. Just pair opposing movements together one after the other with no rest

Back