Highschool Wrestling Questions

Practice for me usually last around 2-2.5 hours at my school. It's a real intense workout, almost never are you allowed to walk. But it's a good practice. I'm a jr, and this is my first year wrestling. I'm too trying to get some grappling skills for MMA (I'm usually training in boxing). But you should be losing weight with a 2 hour work out. that's almost burning 2000 calories if your coach is constantly pressuring you guys.

marine said:
well now i really can't wrestle my mom won't take me to get a physical kinda sucks i wanted to so bad, so now i have to wait till i get into college and join the wrestling club also the college i am going to has a martial arts club where they do kick boxing and i think bjj so its cool just got to wait 9 months so i can really start training in somthing so i have nine months to get where i want and that is at 175.

No problem, just use this to seriously train your cardio, strength, and flexibility. If you go into training already being an athletic beast, you can just focus on technique.

marine said:
yea but i got in late and stuff and it was a deadline i had to get my physical in and i had 2 days to get it in and i lived around the corner from a urgent care center that does them for 5 dollars but i could'nt get a ride.

I would just run over there. That is what I did all the time in school it was only like 7 miles away from the house.

yea well its to late now but its not bringing me down i am going to tn to visit the college i am going to so i am gonna see how the clubs are up their

As a former HS wrestling coach,

I've only ever seen two kids come in their senior year (first year) and be truly competitive. Both were heavys and they both made it to sectionals in CA. Someone on here said you should learn one or two moves from each position and perfect them. I would have said the same thing. I taught the two heavys how to throw (lateral drop) and they friggin ran with it, but anyways....

STANDING: Practice your double leg until you can do it in your sleep. A High-C or fireman's carry is a good complimentary takedown. (don't rely on the head and arm, the only people you'll pin with those are commonly referred to as "fish")

BOTTOM: Standup and Switch. (speed and good technique)

TOP: Arm bars, arm bars, arm bars. You can score a million ways and they're excellent ways to control your opponent.

(This is what I normally teach first year kids. Your coach may have a different style.)

If you want to be good your stamina has to be top notch. Be explosive, and most importantly, do every move full throttle. A lot of first year wrestlers are timid because it takes awhile to get used to hurting another person, get over that shit quick or you'll be the one getting hurt. BTW, When I say hurt, I don't mean injured. If you happen to make varsity your first year wrestling, you have already accomplished a lot (assuming your school has a good tradition). You'll learn how to push yourself, you'll learn your physical limits, and you'll learn what your body is capable of (this may amaze you). Wrestling practice is hell, but its worth it. Good luck fellas.

i remember the 152 guy at my school was in my weight training class.

he could bench 315 his junior year.

being 152 and being able to bench 2x your weight is nuts. And apparently others in that weight class were stronger.

Okay, today was my first day of wrestling practice. Thought it was fantastic. Damn thing lasted 3 and half hours, though. Practiced sweep singles nearly the whole time. Questions... A whizzer is pretty much a overhook that you crank? And I need help with better clarification on crossfacing and how to use it especially off the sprawl. Thanks in advance

StillStand'N said:
Okay, today was my first day of wrestling practice. Thought it was fantastic. Damn thing lasted 3 and half hours, though. Practiced sweep singles nearly the whole time. Questions... A whizzer is pretty much a overhook that you crank? And I need help with better clarification on crossfacing and how to use it especially off the sprawl. Thanks in advance

How intense was the conditioning?

I didn't think it was too bad. I've done alot worse in a program I was at. But at practice we didn't stop once, we hit the weight room first, then we started drilling constantly for about three hours, followed by three rounds of wrestling random kids(don't know the times on rest and the rounds), and then we finished up with sprints. I had a very bad case of cotton mouth though,when I was talking to the coach I swear I must have sounded like a complete retard (Reminisced of "Me,Myself, and Irene").

Conditioning for my team sucks...I mean, I didn't come to practice to run, I came to wrestle.

ok say its round 3 and you did'nt do conditioning like all the rest of your team mates all you need is a couple points to win, but you tired as crap and can't go on any more, and the guy your are wrestling is a guy who is well conditioned, who do you think is going to win.

i would put my bet on the other guy,

you may not think its important but if you are well conditioned it well be better for you in the long run trust me.

what ive been taught to use for a crossface off the sprawl is what we call a crossface whizzer. Basically while sprawling get the overhook (whizzer part) and stick the wrist bone into the side of his nose(crossface) dont swing back and smack him though cuz youll get called for it but dont make it too comfortable either or else they wont go down

i think what sinister is trying to say is that conditioning can be done on your own time and he would rather have the time spent with coaches on learning techniques and rolling. At least tahts how i feel smoetimes but a lot of guys jsut wouldnt take the time to do their own conditioning so i live with it

whats the point of getting the whizzer in off the sprawl? to pull him off your leg? also I see underhooks used alot when people spraw ,especially in mma ,whats the uses and why?

TKMaxx715 said:
i think what sinister is trying to say is that conditioning can be done on your own time and he would rather have the time spent with coaches on learning techniques and rolling. At least tahts how i feel smoetimes but a lot of guys jsut wouldnt take the time to do their own conditioning so i live with it

Yes, that is exactly what Im saying. I mean I do Kickboxing and Wrestling right now, and sure as hell dont want to waste time with one of them doing wind sprints, I can do that on my own.

when you are sprawling it is usually off of a shoot so his arms are extended towards your legs. This makes it so that the overhook is already there. Underhooking would be used for seperation as you would get more power to seperate but when i am going for seperation i just post hard on the head.

yes pushing his head. put his nose into the mat as hard as you can not away from you.

Back