Highly effective IBJJF legal ankle lock finish, anyone seen this before?

What grip is he using? figure 4? Shallow grip(wrist under ankle)? or a deep grip(forearm under ankle)?

Shallow. The first few inches of forearm just after the wrist are under the ankle.

From the description it is hard to figure out what kind of twisting pressure you are applying. Cavaca footlock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVTk60MBKw

Max Bishop (Hayastan) shows also interesting twisting pressure here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9OVU0DEZsM

Roli Delgado credited Bishop as one of his influences on the DVD. He has some cool leglock ideas. This one also, going to try today in class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxttdLI-MPg

Boom! Armwrap, you got it. I'm sure Shunyata is talking about one of the Max Bishop variants on the anklelock.

Boom! Armwrap, you got it. I'm sure Shunyata is talking about one of the Max Bishop variants on the anklelock.

Possibly one not in that video but not exactly. In several of those he's letting the heel slide out enough that there really is some heel hooking going on. But he does that minor trunk rotation too if you watch closely.

Ok, so you are "folding" the foot with your ribcage/armpit?

If it is the pressure I use, it is really more of a toehold pressure, not a heel hook or ankle lock. I really like this finishing pressure, though it is strongest off a true reap leg control.

If it is the pressure I use, it is really more of a toehold pressure, not a heel hook or ankle lock. I really like this finishing pressure, though it is strongest off a true reap leg control.

It's pretty soul-disintegrating off a belly-down position too.

How come I've never heard about Max Bishop until today??

Bishop seems like a real savage with his leg attacks. Has he ever competed in anything outside of Hayastan?

Might be, what I'm describing is the ankle lock grip but you rotate your trunk (and your hands stay glued to it so they pass that lateral extension into the ankle causing it to be at a slight diagonal instead of perfectly facing up, but not so far that heel pops out Bishop shows with his ankle lock that turns into a heel hook) before you apply the finishing pressure. In that sense some of the forces at play resemble those in a toe hold combine with the ankle lock.

And while reaping and belly down certainly have more control than the Vanilla IBJJF ankle lock, I would concur that from a belly down or full reaping control position the pressure could be accurately described as soul disintegrating.

Best description for what's happening to the joint would be to wristlock yourself. Push your hand straight down like you're trying touch the palm to the forearm.

Now release.

Then rotate your wrist slightly and push it down in the same way after it is rotated first.

I have no idea what is being described in this thread...can someone have another go at describing

so my most medial leg goes just off the centre line to his lateral side leg and to the right of that I place my hand in a kimura grip, whilst twisting his free hand with my now triangled leg?

Last edited:
I have no idea what is being described in this thread...can someone have another go at describing

so my most medial leg goes just off the centre line to his lateral side leg and to the right of that I place my hand in a kimura grip, whilst twisting his free hand with my now triangled leg?

None of that at all. Think of a basic ankle lock. You set it up the way you normally would but with the leg controlled and the grip in while you are still sitting up turn your body first ank keep your hand locking the ankle glue to your body so it moves when your trunk turns (this twists the ankle slightly and puts it at a diagonal before apply the straight pressure) before you recline to your side and look back to finish it.

Back