Highlights of my San Da debut`

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by TheDavid, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

2. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

You like that spinning backfist hey. heheh

I have yet to fight in the ring but other then dropping your hands when you kicked soemtimes you looked good. active, lots of combos i say GJ! :D

3. Chinaboxer

Chinaboxer Blue Belt

nothin' like a kick in the balls to wake you up. =D Boy do you love that spinning backhand. you did a great job, man. Nice kicks, you were relaxed, but make sure to keep your back straight when you go for the single or double leg. you need to work on your hands and head movement. other than that, congrats!

4. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

Thanks guys!

If you saw the fight I lost, all the things you guys are noticing played a huge factor in my loss. Which is good because if I won and didn't get beat up, I wouldn't know what to work on!

The spinning backfist is a personal favourite. I don't really like standing and trading shots, but backing away is not good either...in that case, clear the distance with the spinning back fist.

My takedowns felt fine but I need more forward movement, barreling through, basically!
    Hand definitely need work! I spent way more time on takedowns and kicking...but that will come in time.

Head movement wasn't much of an issue in those two fights. The last fight I got hit with one good hit...combined with all three fights...one good hit is pretty good if you ask me!

5. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

just be careful with a move like that, if you throw it more then often not only do you lose sight of your opponent, but its something that could be countered pretty easy if they read you.

might want to find another method to keep them away without having to turn your back every time, because you will get caught :icon_chee

other then that you looked good like i said.

6. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

I agree...any move can be countered. It all depends on when and how you execute it. Headhunters are the ideal with that...especially aggressive guys. The last guy I fought was much technically better than those two and picked his shots instead of rushing in...showed me I need to be more aggressive and cut angles better for that type of fighter.

7. Tabris

Tabris White Belt

The takedowns seem more like MMA or wrestling. At my SanShou gym we try to stay standing after a takedown. Number 1 the points for throws is higher and number 2 it is dangerous to follow someone to the ground if you are on the street and the opponent is a sleeper in grappling.

Good fights though! You were taxing both guys with punches.

8. Tucker Smith

Tucker Smith Amateur Fighter

good fights man. not bad at all. a few things i noticed though were(like other guys already said) dropping your hands every once in awhile, too many spinning backfists, keeping your back straight when shooting in for the double leg, and also not looking down when you get into punching flurries. theres a good drill for that called the pocket drill, i think it used to be on the bj penn website, i dunno if it still is, ill check in a minute and hit ya with a link if its still up.

Good shit though, congrats!

9. Tucker Smith

Tucker Smith Amateur Fighter

cant find the video on bj penns site so ill explain the drill. basically you and your partner stand at a distance where you can easily hit each other with your right hand(or left if you stand southpaw) and then ya have someone stand there and time 20 second rounds. during the rounds you cannot move your feet. you just punch and practice your head movement. you will learn very fast not to look down or look away, as it will just result in your face getting rallied on.

10. toxo

toxo Orange Belt

here are some things i noticed

1. you had no foot work

2. you didnt keep your guard up at all

3. you didnt strike at diffent levels

4. you didnt try to cover your kicks with punches

11. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

Tucker Smith,

Thanks for the kind words! I'll try that drill out. I was out of my element a bit and couldn't put things together as much as I would have liked in the 2nd fight.

Toxo,
    1. Yes I did.
    2. I got hit once that mattered...I don't really think my guard was too much of an issue. Plus the medium level hands are good when body kicks are a personal weakness.
    3. Yes I did.
    4. I landed at will so this is negated. I destroyed both guys and then lost the last one to a more experienced and better prepared (gas) fighter.

Tabris, in a real fight I wouldn't have balloons on my hands, headgear, a ref, a mouthguard, shinpads, etc. 'Nuff said.

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Cool highlight man, I was there too. Your fights looked pretty good, sometimes its hard to look crisp in those tourneys because lots of the guys go crazy on you. I fought too, went 2 wins 0 losses and had to pull out cuz injury (foot fracture) I was in the Batman shorts and fought in the 140 div

13. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

14. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

haha thats awesome, im from 4:03-4:15 in the white shirt/shorts, used that kid as a punching bag it was fun. Im DYING to get footage of my fights man, where did u get that footage from my fight?? if you have it can you contact me and send it to me? (full fight) thanks!

15. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

Yeah, good job!

Try emailing the guy who put those videos up: Satori Science. He'll have it somewhere. Not sure if he got your whole fight but he was filming a lot of stuff. I only have video of my fights but try him.

16. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

ohhh I thought you made the highlight kk ill send him a message, thanks for posting the highlight!

17. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

No worries!
    SS is a good guy; he's actually a training partner from Regina, I'm out in the 'peg but we try to get together and train as often as we can. I think he's making his san shou debut next year at the Can Ams.

18. Tabris

Tabris White Belt

Actually I said what I did in regards to how/why my gym trains. It was not being critical of your ground skills, chill.

19. TheDavid

TheDavid Banned Banned

Ideally you stay standing. However, that takedown worked well for me in that fight so I was happy.

20. Tim Chan

Tim Chan Amateur Fighter

nice job. i was there(mostly watching bjj cuz my friend was doing it). I would say work on your explosive speed, since your combos were kinda slow, but it might be the endurance which slows you down(especially since it's your first tourny). I'm sure you'll look a little better everytime.

I talked to the ref Aaron briefly and he was like "you are not fighting this year? What!"

maybe i'll fight again in 1 of those tournies sometime since it'll probably be a long time till i can get more cage/ring fights.