Highland Games Technique Assistance

Gaijin36

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I have been scouring the internet for a source to learn proper throwing technique for the highland games, does anyone have any suggestions? I got Michael Vincent's Training Lab book for Christmas.

A good start would be telling us what you are planning on throwing. Are you competing in several heavy events?

Fellow thrower here (and so is Calvus). Check out http://nasgaweb.com/main.asp They have forums and a lot of beginner info.

That aside, welcome! It's always great to see another thrower here! How long have you been thowing?

A good start would be telling us what you are planning on throwing. Are you competing in several heavy events?

I would eventually like to compete in all of the heavy events. Right now I am planning on WFD, WFH, caber, hammer, braemer, and open stone puts. I have not given much thought to the sheaf toss but maybe someday... I just turned 41 and have never done a HG before. I have read alot of guys saying that technique is everything. As I am stationed in the middle east right now I figured now is the time to practice as there are obviously no games here.

Fellow thrower here (and so is Calvus). Check out http://nasgaweb.com/main.asp They have forums and a lot of beginner info.

That aside, welcome! It's always great to see another thrower here! How long have you been thowing?

I have never thrown so totally taking on something new. In doing so I want to ensure I show up for my first with at least some idea of what the hell I'm doing...

I would eventually like to compete in all of the heavy events. Right now I am planning on WFD, WFH, caber, hammer, braemer, and open stone puts. I have not given much thought to the sheaf toss but maybe someday... I just turned 41 and have never done a HG before. I have read alot of guys saying that technique is everything. As I am stationed in the middle east right now I figured now is the time to practice as there are obviously no games here.

Yea I'm sure you would have to build or order your own implements in order to train out there. I highly recommend you start an account over on the other site as well. They can help you out with building your own implements.

Yea I'm sure you would have to build or order your own implements in order to train out there. I highly recommend you start an account over on the other site as well. They can help you out with building your own implements.

I have already made a training weight (had a welder make a D-handle as well) it is adjustable weight and at @ 17.5 inches in height. I am thinking for the hammer I will get a length of chain and a piece of 1" roundstock with a ring for @ 45-50" in total.

I will look into starting an account over there, thanks.

I have never thrown so totally taking on something new. In doing so I want to ensure I show up for my first with at least some idea of what the hell I'm doing...

Don't worry about your first games. The HG community is very friendly and helpful. It's like any other sport, don't hesitate, just do it.

I have already made a training weight (had a welder make a D-handle as well) it is adjustable weight and at @ 17.5 inches in height. I am thinking for the hammer I will get a length of chain and a piece of 1" roundstock with a ring for @ 45-50" in total.

I will look into starting an account over there, thanks.

For the Scottish hammer, the handle is actually solid, like this.
a6.jpg

For the Scottish hammer, the handle is actually solid, like this.
a6.jpg

Yeah but I have very limited options over here. I figured until I got back to North America this woulf at least let me get used to the grip profile versus say a "D" handle, just a thought.

I sent this as a reply to your PM, but was having some internet problems & not sure if it went through....

Awesome - Highland Games are so much fun. We're almost the same age, I turn 41 in March.

Tons of help here: NASGA - you may want to start a training log. Almost all of the pros keep logs on this site, great place to learn.

Also, XMarksTheScot has an Athletics sub-forum, and some good posts on the events & DIY equipment: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f161/

I don't know anyone in BC, but the very best thing for you to do would be to find some local guy you can meet & practice with. I would recommend starting an account & introducing yourself of both of those forums & asking if anyone is in the Vancouver area.

Worst case scenario, show up at the event, register as "novice" and the judges will show you everything you need to know. I know a couple of guys who never touched an implement prior to their first event, its not that uncommon.

Where are you planning to do the event in the Spring?

GOOD LUCK!!

Back