Highest technical level ever in a MT fight? Post one link!

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by KBE6EKCTAH_CCP, May 25, 2020.

1. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

I know it's a tough one as there are so many. But right now, for me, I think this Somrak vs Boonlai fight is hard to beat (I don't know exactly which installment this is as I think they may have fought several times).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that Somrak has some of the the best reflexes I have ever seen. Possibly the best reflexes I have ever seen. It's almost as if he sees his apanyent moving in slow-motion. It would have been interesting to perform some neurological tests on him in his prime. He must have like top 0.0001% reflexes for humans, it's just unbelievable.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. SandaKicker Green Belt

My pick;

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP likes this.
  3. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

4. UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

I've always been mesmerised by the Boonlai vs Oley fights; Saenchai vs. Nong-O is some top level shit as well. but OP question is too bland we're just throwing great fights out there. Somrak vs Boonlai is a great pick though. Somrak obviously had some of the most impressive skills in combat sports history.

5. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Well I left it open on purpose because my definition of "highest technical level" might not be the same as yours. Reading the apanyent is possibly the biggest criteria for me, that's why I posted this Somrak fight. Because he knows what Boonlai is going to do before Boonlai even knows it himself.
    But I am also very sensitive to beautiful kicking and distance management, which is why Boonlai fits in there.
    Lastly, if you remember some of my posts (not holding against you if you don't as I am a filthy casual), I have a natural preference for sweeps and throws, of which we don't see a ton in this fight. I could have posted Superbank vs Sangmanee for a sweep clinic.............yet in terms of raw technical ability, the fight I posted just captivates me as something from another dimension or something :)

6. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

7. Cocakillbana Black Belt

This is one of about 10 that can be taken from this rivalry:

Tayski and UWanaPlayDaGame like this.
  8. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Good stuff. Samransak is a dangerous apanyent but Samart made him look like a bum. It reminds me a bit of the video I posted, where Boonlai gets utterly outclassed by Somrak.

9. Broadcast Farang

Technical AND good please. Anyway, fan of Buakaw but he is pretty awkward.

10. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

He had some pretty head movement in his early career but yeah I am afraid that he doesn't belong in this thread.

11. UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

yes I'm not complaining at all. these questions are good to start a discussion. it's like discussing "who killed JFK?" - it's interesting not to find out who killed JFK but to learn about all the other stuff that permeates the question.

I'll post the link btw. not sure if this is even the best fight between them. not sure if they even fit in "highest technical level" criteria. their fights are rather a cool blend of technique and pure excitement.

12. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Quite honestly I think that Olay generally fulfills the criteria of "highest technical level" for the fimeur. In terms of evasiveness, head movement, reaction time and just general fight IQ, in my very humble opinion he is up there with Samart and Somrak. I read somewhere that Olay was an apanyent that many fighters did not want to face because he made you look like a fool.

I highly recommend that you check out this fight as well, it's insane the shit that Olay is able to pull off. Head kick evasion by pulling the head backward matrix style, the teep on the thigh when Boonlai is throwing a middle kick, pivoting to change direction, just general head movement to evade punches, even a very rare ducking under a plunging knee when Olay was on the floor. You can see Boonlai raging, haha.

Monte Moku likes this.
  13. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

I belong in the minority as I know that he is worshipped on this forum but I don't like Saenchai very much when he fights in the stadiums. Yes of course in terms of defense he is excellent, but I tend to get that impression that his kicks and punches look weak, I also dislike his midkick mechanics and lastly, his sweeps and trips don't work nearly as often as when he is fighting bums in Thai FIghts.

Nong-O is a great fighter, obviously, but I don't like his style either. It is not very beautiful.

14. Kanka Black Belt

At 130 i think Saenchai had one of the strongest punches to be fair.

15. Cocakillbana Black Belt

But has managed to throw good Thais around in ways that no else has.

Come on now

SuperLuigi likes this.
  16. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Kongtoranee, Sanklai and Burklerk all come to mind as better throwers than Saenchai. There are others, too.

And yes I do not find Nong O s style very appealing.

17. Cocakillbana Black Belt

There's literally 20X the footage of Saenchai being more impressive than those fighters.

18. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

That's because everybody and their cousins know Saenchai but most people have never heard of the 3 I mentioned, outside of people who are interested in old school stadium footage. You can probably find more highlights of Saenchai on YT than of fights from those 3 guys combined.

Also, bare in mind that Saenchai also tends to get on the wrong side of sweeps a lot in his stadium fights.

But I am not tring to bring down Saenchai's achievements - I am just reacting to your claim that he is "the best thrower ever " or what you wrote that amounted to that.

19. 4daLuLZ Brown Belt

As somebody who’s gone a hard 5 + 3 rounds with him (gym wars), I can tell you he hits extremely fkn hard with his hands.
    You can see that’s true with how his opponents react when getting hit by him. Most go down hard if he touches you up right.

20. Kanka Black Belt

It seems like he has great precision and weight transfer but does not rely on explosiveness.