Highest TD accuracy amongst fighters with 100+ TD attempts

Oh shiiiit end thread
This thread isn't meant to imply GSP = GOAT, it is though, to show how good both he and the other guys mentioned, particularly Demetrious Johnson (who i btw consider to be the GOAT) are, so i'm not sure how the response of Drugstore Cowboy "ends" my thread.

Regardless, let's do the math.
I didn't pretend otherwise - many stats are deceptive, yet regardless of who is (or was) actually the best wrestler in the UFC, it helps to give context and is interesting, in my opinion.

Interesting, i didn't know what actually gets counted as an attempt.

You arguably should not look at TDs/fight, but rather at TDs/time unit - i haven't done the math, but by looking at the numbers, Georges again comes close to DJs ratio, as St-Pierre's average fight time (which surprised me) was less than that of DJ.
Their average fight time is the following:
15:34 for St-Pierre
18:34 for Demetrious Johnson
@Drugstore Cowboy just realized i DO need to not just look at avg. fight time, but at both total fights and average fight time, lmao.
I guess math is still my enemy, from time to time, lol.

Oh shiiiit end thread
This thread isn't meant to imply GSP = GOAT, it is though, to show how good both he and the other guys mentioned, particularly Demetrious Johnson (who i btw consider to be the GOAT) are, so i'm not sure how the response of Drugstore Cowboy "ends" my thread.

Regardless, let's do the math.

GSP has 90 takedowns in the UFC, Demetrious Johnson has 74.
However - and i don't know the total fight time of both - their TD average per 15 minutes is 3.35 for DJ and 4.16 for GSP.
@Drugstore Cowboy

I didn't pretend otherwise - many stats are deceptive, yet regardless of who is (or was) actually the best wrestler in the UFC, it helps to give context and is interesting, in my opinion.

Interesting, i didn't know what actually gets counted as an attempt.

You arguably should not look at TDs/fight, but rather at TDs/time unit - i haven't done the math, but by looking at the numbers, Georges again comes close to DJs ratio, as St-Pierre's average fight time (which surprised me) was less than that of DJ.
Their average fight time is the following:
15:34 for St-Pierre
18:34 for Demetrious Johnson

Do you know what GSP's total fight time is? Or DJ's?

That just shows how skilled and talented GSP is, incredible numbers, nearly 74% is insane.

Do you know what GSP's total fight time is? Or DJ's?
Was gonna look it up, but i can only find their total fight time for 170 (GSP) or 125 (DJ), which in DJs case is kinda problematic, because he also has had quite a few fights at 135 IIRC, but since the total TD number for both is across all weightclasses, we can't compare those.

That said, the UFC stats site for each fighter tells us the "TD Avg", so the average amount of takedowns landed per 15 minutes.
DJ has 3.35, GSP has 4.16, Khabib has 5.32 and Cejudo - interestingly enough - only 2.12.

The funny thing is, that i'd say Cejudo and Khabib might have the best top game out of the guys mentioned and yet, they are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

If you were to ask me who i think is the best wrestler, i have a hard time naming him out of those four. They're pretty different, but all insane in that aspect.

Khabibs has the least good striking out of these guys, so he couldn't use striking to set things up like GSP, DJ and even Cejudo did, but he was the most suffocating wrestler out of these guys. Then again, the other guys faced more/better wrestlers.

TL;DR:
- DJ has a 3.35, GSP has a 4.16, Khabib has a 5.32 (and Cejudo a 2.12.) takedown average per 15 minutes
- No realy concrete idea about who's the best wrestler out of these four, each has arguments for and against being placed at either end of a top four.

That just shows how skilled and talented GSP is, incredible numbers, nearly 74% is insane.
True, mind-boggling, right?

Funny enough, between GSP, DJ, Khabib and Cejudo, i don't know who i'd say is the best MMA wrestler; i consider them all to be on a fairly similar level, but that's why it's even weirder that GSP - again, amongst those who have 100+ TD attempts - ranks so far ahead of everyone else.

@pankrat i think you are one of the fewer guys who give Fitch a lot of credit and thought of you when i saw his name rank so high.

True, mind-boggling, right?

Funny enough, between GSP, DJ, Khabib and Cejudo, i don't know who i'd say is the best MMA wrestler; i consider them all to be on a fairly similar level, but that's why it's even weirder that GSP - again, amongst those who have 100+ TD attempts - ranks so far ahead of everyone else.
The thing with GSP is his shots are so fast, its incredible how fast he is when he goes for a takedown, you blink and its done. Mighty Mouse and Cedujo are flyweights but their shots are nowhere near as fast as GSP, his speed when he decides to go for a takedown is lightning fast.. no one can even react to it

I went to UFC 52 and saw GSP fight live in person and he is sooooooooo fast, the TV does no justice, watching it live I could see how fast he is. I don't care how good of a wrestler you are, if he decides to take you down you won't have a clue whats going on until your on your back.

GBpraxWLBXN_C-Bureau-accueil-IMG-1101.JPG

The darker chick has such a great and dominant smile, she almost drives off the other chick's head and supplants her head with her own

Was gonna look it up, but i can only find their total fight time for 170 (GSP) or 125 (DJ), which in DJs case is kinda problematic, because he also has had quite a few fights at 135 IIRC, but since the total TD number for both is across all weightclasses, we can't compare those.

That said, the UFC stats site for each fighter tells us the "TD Avg", so the average amount of takedowns landed per 15 minutes.
DJ has 3.35, GSP has 4.16, Khabib has 5.32 and Cejudo - interestingly enough - only 2.12.

The funny thing is, that i'd say Cejudo and Khabib might have the best top game out of the guys mentioned and yet, they are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

If you were to ask me who i think is the best wrestler, i have a hard time naming him out of those four. They're pretty different, but all insane in that aspect.

Khabibs has the least good striking out of these guys, so he couldn't use striking to set things up like GSP, DJ and even Cejudo did, but he was the most suffocating wrestler out of these guys. Then again, the other guys faced more/better wrestlers.

TL;DR:
- DJ has a 3.35, GSP has a 4.16, Khabib has a 5.32 (and Cejudo a 2.12.) takedown average per 15 minutes
- No realy concrete idea about who's the best wrestler out of these four, each has arguments for and against being placed at either end of a top four.

Just add up the time of all their UFC fights to get the total fight time. Ez pz.

Kind of a deceptive stat because Khabib would shoot garbage shots just to make contact or as feints to confuse his opponent.

He's arguably the best in terms of maintaining control over an opponent.
<{cruzshake}>

Kind of a deceptive stat because Khabib would shoot garbage shots just to make contact or as feints to confuse his opponent.

Absolutely.

This is the equivalent of counting feints as a missed strike, it doesn't tell the true story.

GSP is a tremendous grappler, and arguably the best well rounded fighter ever.

Khabib is the best grappler that has ever done it, period.

GSP should have shot for a takedown when LW midget BJJ guy Matt Serra rocked him. Then he would have tapped to a submission instead of tapping to strikes.

He did shoot for a takedown when he was rocked.

Him losing to Serra made him into one of the goats of the sport though.

That loss was necessary.

GSP is what everyone should strive to be. Mad amounts of dedication and respect for the martial arts. That can get you to this level of efficiency in wrestling while starting out with karate base.

It’s been a while since I’ve watched a gsp fight, but I remember him being able to time his takedowns so perfectly because he was good at drawing guys into stand up battles. So once he got your timing and could sense that you’re committed to the stand up, he would easily time his takedowns. At least, he made it LOOK easy. But it was really a brilliant strategy.

Maybe towards the end of his career, but up until his last few fights he was known for taking people down but not being able to keep them down.

Back